+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sand Dollars

OffShore Wind Farm Sparks OC Concerns

Very interesting article in the MD Coast Dispatch this week one of the proposed offshore wind farm options on the drawing boards.

https://mdcoastdispatch.com/2017/04/...ch-visibility/

The very serious visual impact of the wind mills has caused OC officials to pay attention and raise their concerns.

The picture (called worst-case by the wind people, apparently) does show a disturbing (imho) horizon view. Wait, let me rephrase -- grotesque!

I recall a previous heated discussion on the wind farms (dctech, are you reading this??). I almost tagged this on to the end of that thread but decided to start a new one. Perhaps we can have a new flare up. ;-)

Transplanted to Ohio, constantly battling for time in OC!
    Sand Dollars
    I am very alarmed about this and urge everyone to voice your opposition to this by contacting Mayor Meehan & City Council. Very easy to do online.

The view in the rendering is from ground level; I can imagine what it would look like from our balcony, which is on the 6th floor. Or worse, if you are higher. I am all for alternative energy, but this would kill OC as we know it.

The Dispatch article hints that there is much opposition to this, but an article in OC Today states that there was interest in it in a Town Hall meeting at SDHS.

BTW, Mods. I posted a thread about this yesterday and got the usual "has to be reviewed, etc." message. I'm new to this board and still am not able to post a thread without waiting a few days and bugging one of you about it. I post on many forums and have never have this problem. Can it get resolved? -Many thanks

Edit: Just posted on the beach replenishment thread and got the error message againconfused:
    Last edited by Jozo; 04-06-2017 at 11:05 AM.

Sand Dollars
    I realize that the majority of people are going to be against me; but, personally, seeing windmills on the horizon when looking out at the ocean doesn't bother me one bit. I see it as keeping $$ from going into the coffers of foreign governments (oppressive or not) & much less pollution spewing out into the air. No,I'm not a tree-hugging liberal; I'm actually quite conservative. I live in the mountains of southcentral PA, we have lots of people who visit here to view our mountains & the views from those mountains. We also have lots of wind farms on the tops of those mountains. When they were constructed there were all kinds of dire predicts as to what would happen to those tourists. Well, they didn't go elsewhere, they still come for the views. As for me, I certainly prefer seeing windmills to seeing cell towers! And no one ever opposes the construction of yet another cell tower. As for the damage to birds, resident & migrating, there are studies now that show that damage to be quite minimal. Around here there was also a loud outcry about damage to the bat population, but a large study has shown that to be almost non-existent. I really think that there is some way that both sides of this argument can work together & we can have both wind-produced energy & pleasant views.
    No,I don't expect to hear much, if any, agreement w/my thoughts. But,there they are.

Sand Dollars
    A year after construction, no one will know they are there!

Sand Dollars
    The reality though is that they don't generate much power. It's pretty much PR. You can tell from the responses by the energy company that it's a done deal. Also, the town of OC has no rights to the Atlantic so asking them to fight won't help. At the same time that it's a huge eye sore and will negatively affect tourism, it's a huge waste of money.
    Ken

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by EllAnn View Post
    I realize that the majority of people are going to be against me; but, personally, seeing windmills on the horizon when looking out at the ocean doesn't bother me one bit. I see it as keeping $$ from going into the coffers of foreign governments (oppressive or not) & much less pollution spewing out into the air. No,I'm not a tree-hugging liberal; I'm actually quite conservative. I live in the mountains of southcentral PA, we have lots of people who visit here to view our mountains & the views from those mountains. We also have lots of wind farms on the tops of those mountains. When they were constructed there were all kinds of dire predicts as to what would happen to those tourists. Well, they didn't go elsewhere, they still come for the views. As for me, I certainly prefer seeing windmills to seeing cell towers! And no one ever opposes the construction of yet another cell tower. As for the damage to birds, resident & migrating, there are studies now that show that damage to be quite minimal. Around here there was also a loud outcry about damage to the bat population, but a large study has shown that to be almost non-existent. I really think that there is some way that both sides of this argument can work together & we can have both wind-produced energy & pleasant views.
    No,I don't expect to hear much, if any, agreement w/my thoughts. But,there they are.
    Do you own property or operate a business in OC?

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Highball2 View Post

You are so right, Highball. Having lived with windmills for quite awhile now, I do know that to be true. I actually find watching the blades turn to be relaxing. Like everything else that's new/different, it just takes some getting used to. And, we belong to a Rural Electric Coop which uses mostly wind generated power. Before switching to the wind-generating power our electric bills were much higher than those of people on non-Rural Electric type companies (PennElec, MetEd, etc.), now it's much lower.

Sand Dollars
    I have to agree with terp84alum. Where I live, they came in, built a bunch of wind farms, provided jobs for hundreds of people.............then left. Jobs were gone, but the huge amounts of trees that were cut down both for placement of the windmills, and the access roads to the ares where they are was immense. Visually, they aren't an eyesore, but we seldom even see them moving and believe me, they are on the tops of the tallest of PA mountains and there is plenty of wind. They made, and continue to make, very little impact on the amount of power they were supposed to provide. My opinion is that they are a money making B.S. scheme and too many people are buying into it and simply making the companies rich. There was no benefit to anyone in our area from these things, except for the people who owned the property where they were placed and were paid for the use of their land. I hope OC doesn't buy into it.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Highball2 View Post
    Because no one will be in OC to see them

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Z06RL View Post
    ... we seldom even see them moving and believe me, they are on the tops of the tallest of PA mountains and there is plenty of wind. They made, and continue to make, very little impact on the amount of power they were supposed to provide. ...
    I'm with you on this. Traveling east on the PA turnpike we see the 6-8 feel good windmills by the Somerset service plaza and they are more often than not, not turning. I also catch a glimpse of a much larger farm north of the pike as you approach the first tunnel. Those seem to be turning more frequently ... perhaps generating enough power to charge someone's cell phone I suppose.

To me, the argument for wind power is so weak from an engineering and accounting viewpoint there's no reason to create the aesthetic problem.

What happens with these wind farms as they fall into disrepair an dis-use (is that a word?) when the tax breaks and other prop-ups run out? I guess in the ocean they might at least become artificial reefs.

Oh well, i'm dangerously close to becoming political in my vacation forum. I think I'll go pontificate on beach restoration next. ;-)