+ Reply to Thread
    Sand Dollars

Beach Replenishment 2017

I see where the funding has now been approved for a beach replenishment program starting after labor day and running into late winter.

According to the article:

"During the next phase this fall, roughly 883,000 cubic yards of sand will be pumped onto the Ocean City beaches from offshore sources including 371,000 cubic yards needed to replace the sand lost during the January 2016 storm to bring the beach up to the minimum design template and another 521,000 cubic yards needed to bring the beach up to its full design template."

They'll pump the sand in from about 3 miles off shore. All in all, a pretty interesting engineering feat.

That said, while I'm sure they'll take my vacation into consideration in their planning, I wonder if anyone knows the timeline for which beach areas will be worked? I'm guessing that may not come until later given the funding was just approved but I recall this was an earlier plan that was pushed back past the prime season, so maybe there is already a plan?

Transplanted to Ohio, constantly battling for time in OC!
    Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by pghDave View Post
    I see where the funding has now been approved for a beach replenishment program starting after labor day and running into late winter.

According to the article:

"During the next phase this fall, roughly 883,000 cubic yards of sand will be pumped onto the Ocean City beaches from offshore sources including 371,000 cubic yards needed to replace the sand lost during the January 2016 storm to bring the beach up to the minimum design template and another 521,000 cubic yards needed to bring the beach up to its full design template."

They'll pump the sand in from about 3 miles off shore. All in all, a pretty interesting engineering feat.

That said, while I'm sure they'll take my vacation into consideration in their planning, I wonder if anyone knows the timeline for which beach areas will be worked? I'm guessing that may not come until later given the funding was just approved but I recall this was an earlier plan that was pushed back past the prime season, so maybe there is already a plan?
    I've been in OC a few times during replenishment, and it always seemed to be in between November and March. The article says fall, but I hope and don't think they would do this in September or October. Things really die down after Halloween, so hopefully that's when they'll start.

That being said, it is pretty cool to watch, but definitely not if you're a paying visitor. I've got an old picture somewhere of me standing next to a mountain of sand prior to it being dozed over. May have to dig that one up and post it.

Sand Dollars
    I've been there when beach replenishment was going on. You barely even notice it. They run HUGE pipes from the ocean to the beach. Kind of neat to watch if there's one nearby, but they were spread well apart.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Z06RL View Post
    .... Kind of neat to watch if there's one nearby ...
    Oh I agree, it is fascinating to watch in progress. I just hope to have to walk a few blocks or (better yet) drive some distance to watch. This is one site (along with the windmills) that I don't need/want to see from my vacation balcony!

I watched the guys driving their bulldozers right out into the surf pushing the sand along the way. It was hard to believe they had a plan in mind but I'm sure they did. In general I think driving a bulldozer would be fun and this is one of the best instances of bulldozing driving I could imagine, That said, I acknowledge that it is real work and dangerous work requiring great care. But, damn, it'd be fun! ;-)

Sand Dollars
    I'm curious to know why they do it in the late fall and winter when it's more common to have Nor'easters and hurricanes that always erode the beach the worst. Seems to my mind (small as it is) that early and late spring would be the best time, that way the beach would be ready for summer season, and less likely to be washed away so soon after being replaced.

But what do I know.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Z06RL View Post
    ... Seems to my mind (small as it is) that early and late spring would be the best time ...
    I believe the 2017 replenishment was originally targeted for Spring 2017 but it either got delayed or became more work than could be contained in the spring season. When it appeared the work would continue into the prime season, OC decided to delay all work into the Fall-Winter timing. I suppose they will need to redo some of the work after the 2017-2017 winter storm season. I guess they couldn't just forestall all the work until spring 2018 because there's 2017 money to be spent. ;-(

I know there's a school of thought that might prefer the un-replenished beach and shore breaks for this summer season.

Sand Dollars
    I want to see the official notification.
    I am wondering whether the replenishment would influence our plan.
    My family would like to travel and go metal detecting there.
    And my boy is looking forward to do that with his kids metal detector.