+ Reply to Thread
    Kwhit

metal detectors on the beach

now I could have posted this on that (OTHER )site,but would rather do it here.
    Anyone ever try a metal detector on the beach at OC? ever find anything good? I tried it at the (OTHER )beach...Myrtle (sp),found nothing but trash,mostly little pieces of aluminum foil,stuff that comes off of kids drinks and 1 cent...what have you found?

Sand Dollars

Re: metal detectors on the beach

I like to hunt in Delaware moreso then in MD. My friend and I have hit up OC, she found some buttons from the mid 1800's, and a piece of eight. There are a couple shipwrecks and acording to Dale at the Shipwreck Museum Spanish Cobs (2) have been found between 82 and 76 steets on two seperate occasions. That was a couple years ago though, I haven't had much luck.

I don't like to hunt for clad though.

Sand Dollars

Late 70's, early 80's found enough coin per day to easily pay for my first metal detector and many tanks of gas/dinners thereafter. Following beach replenishment and OC's purchase of highly effective beach cleaning machines...not much left for metal detectors except whatever gets lost during the day or the occasional deposit washed in from a storm. I am thankful for the clean and ample beach, so no complaints here but will probably sell my detectors in the near future.

P.S. to the folks that leave the sparkler wires on the beach every year - The beach sweepers seem to have difficulty retaining this wire in the sieve, and often miss fish hooks as well. The sparkler wire rusts almost immediately and is a serious health threat. Please take all trash off the beach with you or deposit in the many cans provided.

milpool
    Sand Dollars

I bought a metal detector on clearance from Radio Shack a few years ago, and figure that I'll break even on my purchase in about 20 more seasons.

But my daughter absolutely LOVES going treasure hunting with me, and she still talks about the toy truck we found in the sand a couple years ago.

Plus we both get a kick out of diggin up the ever elusive and rare "quarter".

theshaah
    Sand Dollars

I have metal detected in ocean city before. I've found a few bracelets, some old coins, and a diamond ring. Other than that I haven't found very much in the way of buried treasure. My aunts condo is 112th st next to the rainbow and I usually head twoards the boards and stop around 89th street or so and start to head back. I haven't detected in quite some time though.

Adam

lwold
    Sand Dollars

You need to detect before the cleanning machines start for the night. Once the lifeguasrds go off duty (5:30 pm) until about 7:30 pm. After that they pretty much don't want you on the beach, to keep out of the way of the equiptment.

montepig72
    Sand Dollars

[flagged as spam - removed by admin]

Sand Dollars

My husband has found hot wheels and some change. He just likes the fun of wondering what he might find.