+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    abethepunk
    Sand Dollars

Opinions on the Carousel Hotel?

Hi, my boyfriend booked us a few nights at the Carousel Hotel. Ive seen an equal amount of good & bad reviews on this place... Is it a nice place to stay? I just realized the boardwalk is far away from it, but is there a 'swimming area' in the ocean nearby? I know that probably sounds stupid but Ive only been there once before, and we stayed in the boardwalk territory. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

abethepunk
    Sand Dollars
    I am also wondering if it will be warm down there June 8th-12th, cause its been in the 50's-60's up until now here in PA and I'm worried

scuzzypuppy
    Sand Dollars
    You can check the weather on www.oceancity.com on the left-hand toolbar.
    And it doesn't matter if you are far from the boardwalk. Last year my boyfriend and I stayed at Comfort Inn Gold Coast on 112t street and this year we stayed at the Ramada Limited on 42nd street and you can just drive down the the boardwalk and park in the inlet it's the easiest way I figure because if you park at a meter you run the chance or the time limit running out. Supposedly there are a few free parking places but I have yet to find them.

Ed
    Sand Dollars
    If your planning to swim in the ocean during your stay you better plan to bring a insulated wet suit. Ocean water does not normally warm until August. If your pool is outdoor and not heated you will freeze. If it is a crowded week when your down there (Which I don't think it will be)driving that distance from the Carousel to the boardwalk can be a real chore. Traffic can be a nightmare. The first part of June is to risky to plan for warm weather and warm water. Next year plan for late July thru August.

scuzzypuppy
    Sand Dollars
    I went in June last year and the water was like bathwater. I also stayed on 112th street and the traffic was not that bad to get down to the inlet/boardwalk.

Ed
    Sand Dollars
    June of last year we had above average temps, and a major league drought. This year we have had major rain fall, below average temps (10-15 degrees Below ave) and only 9 days of sun the month of may. I guranatee that the only water warm enough to swim in will be your bathtub or a heated outdoor pool or a indoor pool.

Here is my opinion on the Carousel Hotel ; I stayed there about 3 years ago, and it is a VERY BIG hotel. It has alot to offer , BUT HERE IS THE REASON I WILL NEVER GO BACK; For one thing, its to far away from the boardwalk (where all the action is), and we stayed in 1 of the condo rooms for families, oceanfront, and when we looked out our balcony, all we seen was the top of the roof to the rest of the building and listened to air conditioner vents all night instead of the ocean. Also, the walk to the ocean was a trek. I was pooped before we even made it through the dunes that are backed up against the back of the hotel. Too much work for a vacation.

abethepunk
    Sand Dollars
    Wow that sucks... I knew it was quite a ways from the boardwalk but I didnt think it would be far to the ocean. Does anyone know how warm warm water is? Like temperature wise.

Sand Dollars
    It may be "far away" from the Boardwalk, but you can always take the bus. For $2 the whole day, you ride the bus an unlimited amount of times. It's cheap, and you don't have to worry about parking. Also, when I went in July of last year, the water was warm, after you were in it for a few minutes, like a swimming pool.

Ed
    Sand Dollars
    Abethepunk....I posted a reply to your question about water temp before but in case you missed it here is my response. The ocean is going to be very cold. The chesapeake bay is currently 63 degrees, the ocean will be just as cold or colder. Also on the $2.00 all day bus fare, here are the facts. In peak season the buses are packed like a sardine can, I have seen buses so packed it is a hazard. In addition, when they are packed they will not stop to pick you up so you will have to wait for another bus. This could make for a long ride to and from the boardwalk. Some people like to paint a rosy picture but these are the facts.