Thread: Places to Avoid

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Danei5
    Sand Dollars
    Just returned from OC, and I felt very compelled to mention our terrible experience at Mug and Mallet. We have eaten there in the past, and have been satisfied although it's easy to notice when there is 17% gratuity automatically added to any table, the service does seem to go donwhill. I'm not talking about all wait staff, but this is definitely true in our case at Mug and Mallet. I ordered the soft shell crab sandwich, and my husband ordered the soft shell crabs (2). Now, I love crabmeat, but have never had soft shells. My husband, on the other hand, has had them up and down the coast at many different restaurants, and has raved about them. This is why I was so surprised when I bit into the sandwich and almost got sick. I think that they had started to get their hard shells back, and all I could taste was cartilage, shell, and something else that could only be described as nasty. I yelled at my husband, and I thought it was just me until he tasted his. He also said that they were horrible, and we told our waitress. I explained to her that I had never had them before so I didn't know what to expect, but that my husband had had them many times, and thought that there was something wrong also. She said that she would get the manager. She came back out 5 minutes later, and the only comment that she had was "You know that they cook the whole crab?" The manager did not even have the decency to come out and talk to us him/herself. The only thing he/she had to say came from the waitress. By this time, my one year old and 2 year old were fussing, so I did not demand to see the manager, but I can promise that we will not be visiting Mug and Mallet ever again.

Ed
    Sand Dollars
    Danei5....It sounds as thou your husband caught enough grief about dinner but the word "Soft" can be a little mis-leading. Being from maryland I have had many "Softcrabs"and they are not what I would call "Soft", you do have to chew, especially the legs, I have had crabs that were a little softer than others. I for one would never recommend a "Softcrab" dinner or sandwich to someone that has never had one before, just the sight of one can scare most newbies away from ordering one. I would have orderd one for myself and let a newbie try it,than if it was acceptable than order one next time around.

Danei5
    Sand Dollars
    I have tried them before, a little bite here and there, but I have never ordered them. I know exactly what they look like, and the part that was chewy and hard was not the legs, but the middle. This still doesn't escape the fact that although my husband's had them many times, and I've watched him eat them many times, he said that these were definitely the worst he's ever had. He's never had any that even came close to being that bad.

Sand Dollars
    Hi Danei5 and all!
    I use to eat softshell crabs until I developed Diabetes. Crabs are not good for people with this disease.. Well the story of the softshell crabs is, They are really blue-claw crabs that "molt" every year, approx. the same time they shed their shell to grow a new one. Now, the crabbers have a very small window to catches these guys, I think its about 1 week. If you get a softshell that is a little chewy, well it's probably because they caught the critter as the new shell was starting to harden. My experience with these crabs were wonderful. Here on Long Island, the crabs are caught at the right time and cooked fresh (almost immediately) so that the crab is soft and easy to eat.

Danei5
    Sand Dollars
    Thanks Anne and Mike for the extra info. That's what we had told the waitress, that we thought they had started to get their hard shells back. I forgot to mention that my husband, although very reluctantly, tried another soft shell later in the week at Harrison's, and we both thought that it was delicious, and at the perfect stage. My husband describes all the good ones he's eaten as a "big piece of white meat." He says that you can't even tell that they are the whole crab. This is how they were at Harrison's. Thanks again.

Sand Dollars
    I'd have to say that we were really disappointed with Phillip's on 21st St. The buffet was not worth the price they charged and they leave a bucket on your table to scrape your scraps into! That's gross! Plus, there wasn't much to choose from. The best thing was the pasta bar, but that wasn't worth $26/person. I just wasn't impressed.

Sand Dollars
    In response to MicheleRN about Phillips' buffet on 21st Street, I have to disagree. I thought they had quite a tremendous amount of food to choose from. However, if you are not into a variety of seafood, your selections may be limited. The bucket on your table is for crab shells, oyster shells, etc. It's just like you're at a picnic, where you throw all of your shells on a pile. That's how such food is eaten. If you're not into that style of food, it may not be the place to go. But, if you're into real Maryland Eastern-shore style prepared food, it's the best.

Debi Taylor
    Sand Dollars
    AFTER A RECENT STAY IN OCEAN CITY, I JUST WANT TO COMMENT THAT FAGERS ISLAND IS OVERPRICED! THE MENU WAS AWFUL...I GUESS THERE A PEOPLE WHO LIKE THIS CUISINE, BUT I WAS SURE DISAPPOINTED! THE ATMOSPHERE, HOWEVER; IS PROBABLY WHAT YOU ARE PAYING FOR. DEBI T.

fordcity
    Sand Dollars
    POPEYES CHICKEN it is the worstest stuff I ever ate.

see ya at o city

sure she's not bitter about her job...just bitter about people who expect good service and then become cheap when the check comes. yes tipping is optional..but everyone should know that in OC its college students trying to make money for college or they are actually here, year round and the only real income around here (if you were local you would know)is waiting tables or bartending. Its not like this is a big city with many corp jobs available. Before you start judgeing people..and telling them to maybe look into another career maybe you should look into the facts of living in OC. Also OC is not 2.80 its 2.38..this I know cause I do payroll for 200 tipped employees in the summer. And its very sad to know that you were a server before ..then yes i agree YOU SHOULD KNOW

Originally posted by ECWA25:
    Hello!

Debi I totally agree with you.

I've worked in the restaurant business for 9 years(in 3 different states) and I know tipping is not mandatory nor is it 18% required.

I also know waitresses should not expect to get tipped on the tax amount. Different states have different guidelines for waitstaff minimum wage. My state's rate is $3.80 an hour. OC's rate is $2.80 an hour, last I checked.

I expect a good tip if I do good job and yes you do get stiffed once in a while. You can do the best job and still get a crappy tip. Its the nature of the business.

I think jersey would do better in a different line of work because she sounds a bit bitter about her jobs. Working 2 jobs where you are busting your butt for crap wages is not worth it(been there, done that). Restaurants outside of resort areas and other types of jobs will get you more money and less hassle.

Do waitressing as a side job to earn extra money in addition to a regular job but if you do it to make a living you will end up very stressed out and unhappy.

Trust me....I know.