+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    ECWA25
    Sand Dollars

Best Of The Best

Hello,
    Here are some more experienced suggestions for restaurant goers.
    Just a note, Phillip's has 3 restaurants in OC.
    1) 13th St. & Boardwalk: More expensive then the other 2.
    2) 22nd or 23rd St & Coastal Highway, Oceanside:
    Has the Seafood buffet.
    3) 142nd 0r 143rd St & Coastal Highway, bayside:
    Has the seafood festival buffet too!

BEST BOARDWALK EATS

BEST BOARDWALK EATS:

1) Dayton's: Has the best fried chicken! I
    believe they are across from
    Dumser's.
    2) The Wrapper: Great hand held munchies
    if you are on the go.
    3) The Red-Eyed Frog: In the Inlet Village.
    Great Burgers!

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

23rdStreet
    Sand Dollars

OC Food

I've been going to OC for most of my life, and now I own a condo down there. Many of the locals eat at Coins. I can say that the food I've had there was excellent, and very reasonably priced. I agree about Phillips buffet, and I think the location uptown around 143rd Street has slightly better quality food than 22nd Street, probably because it isn't as crowded so the kitchen isn't as crazy. Hall's buffet is better than Embers or Bon Fire. Bayview is good for families. A little cheaper, good food. But I don't know how long it's going to be there because they're supposed to be building a hotel there.

Had Higgin's crabs. They were ok, but I resented the fact that they tried to get us to eat soup, fries, and chicken before they brought out any crabs.

Waterman's is ok.

A local told me not to eat at Hooper's. Allegedly, they've gotten into some trouble for "recycling" crabs, i.e., whatever crabs are not eaten are returned to the steamer and reheated for the next patron. After a while, they get kinda water-logged.

If you really want great crabs without getting ripped off, pick some up from Bahama Mama's at 145th and take them back to your place. Or, you can get real good crabs from the Crabs To Go out on Rte. 50. It's across from the Walmart as you're heading in, just about 10 minutes outside the City. You can eat outside at a table, or carry out. Buy the crabs, some mallets and a newspaper, and you'll still save a ton of money!
    A friend of mine LOVES the crabs at the Mug and Mallet on the Boards, but I've never eaten there. I think it's around 3rd Street.

Best place on the Boardwalk for excellent lunch-type food at the best prices is definitely the Red Eyed Frog at the Inlet Village. Jim will treat you right, and they have an awesome view of the inlet from the bar and the tables. He even has binoculars for patons' use.

I also agree about the food at Shennanigan's, 4th Street and the Boards. Plenty of it, excellent quality, and fair prices. I've eaten there for years, and never had a bad experience. The wait staff and the bartenders are GREAT too. Always trust the Irish. ;-)

Big Peckers? Ate there once. Got the crabcake. It was nasty.

Seacrets can have good food, but it's pricey and depends on how busy they are (usually, VERY.) Also, it's not "American food". It's kinda "out there". You can only take kids in during the day. You have to use a separate entrance, and the kids gotta be out of there by 9 p.m. In addition, the kids are not allowed in certain areas even during daylight.

nat
    Sand Dollars

Best Places to Eat - Submit your picks

Share your recommendations for the best restaurants in OC.

[This message was edited by nat on Tue, 15 Jan 2002 at 15:13.]

arlenecap
    Sand Dollars

Best Restaurants

Have any of you tried the Captian's Galley II
    in West Ocean City? UMMM! Wonderful Crab Imperial and Crab Cakes. Prime Rib on of the best. Great children's menu.

arlenecap
    Sand Dollars

We like

The Captain's Galley II, West Ocean City
    Harborside, West Ocean City
    Coins - 28th Street
    Satellite (breakast) -- maybe around 24th right off the boardwalk next to the Howard Johnson's
    Red Eye Frog-Boardwalk at the Inlet
    Atlantic Hotel -- Berlin (charming and good food)

pretjah
    Sand Dollars
    My favorite restraunt is easily crab alley. i like higgins alot.
    for ambience and such i like harrison harborwatch or jimi's crab shack on the boardwalk. something about sitting there on a late afternoon watching all the freaks i mean people ( 8-) ) walk by.
    for late night i recommend tubby's on 59th the chicken cheese steaks are amazing.
    and for breakfast you'd be hard to top halls buffet

ECWA25
    Sand Dollars

Best Restaurants - Tubby's

Hello,
    I totally agree about "Tubby's", "Hall's" and "The Red-Eyed Frog". Hall's is also the best choice for a breakfast buffet. I haven't seen one yet in OC that was better. The Red-Eyed Frog also makes the best burgers.
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Best/Worst restaurants in OC

I can't believe all you people who claim to be seafood lovers and OC regulars all recommend Phillips! Talk about tourist trap! However, Phillips Beach Plaza on the boardwalk is very nice with a classy dining room and wonderful food. But stay away from 22nd street.

I, too, have been going to OC my entire life and my husband and I own a condo there now. We eat out a lot and are always trying new places. The biggest problem in OC now is that there just isn't enough help. The wait staff at most of the restaraunts are really terrible. However, we have found some places we really like.

For high-end, special occasion, leave the kids home, restaraunts go for

1. Galaxy Grille (around 70th st.) Wonderful food, atmosphere, service. Also has a beautiful martini bar.

2. Sole Grill (near 125th) Incredible steaks, seafood and a beautiful Shushi bar. (We did take our 6 year-old son here, and it was fine)

3. Nantucket's (this is actually in Fenwick) Be prepared to wait even if you have a reservation. However, sometimes you can get a table in the "pub" with the same menu as the restaurant, and you don't have to wait as long. Wonderful, wonderful food. Cozy, romantic atmosphere.

For more casual, moderately priced meals:

1. Island Cafe (Montego Bay shopping center)
    This has become our favorite place to go. Apparently, it is a favorite with locals. It is a very small bar/ restaurant, but we have never had to wait for a table. Daily specials are really good. In fact, we've never had anything there we didn't like. The cream of crab soup is the best I have ever had, anywhere. It's not the pasty, thick floury type thing you normally get, but, more sherry based with tons of crab. Last time, it was not listed on the regular menu, but they had it when we asked. They also have a good children's menu.

I will return with more later.

ECWA25
    Sand Dollars

restaurants

Hello,
    Hi OCaddict!
    Good choice on the Island Cafe! We found that place about 8 years ago and we have never had anything there that wasn't good. We haven't been back there in a few years but our favorite was their crock of shrimp soup! I don't even know if they still serve that.
    Those other restaurants are a way bit too expensive for me but I haven't heard anything bad about them, in fact, I read that the Galaxy Restaurant is up for a best in Maryland award.

ECWA25
    Sand Dollars

Phillips

Hello,
    Hi
    Most people who recommended Phillip's are recommending it as a buffet. I think it has a great buffet but there are better seafood restaurants then Phillips (Captain's Table on 15th and Baltimore to name one). I haven't read any bad reviews on Phillips, so please elaborate on your bad experience there so we can have another position on it. It is always good to have good and bad reviews on a restaurant (though we all hope there is never a bad review on a restaurant we personally favor) There is a previous post about not going to the 22nd st. Phillip's but nobody explains why.