+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    kshorten
    Sand Dollars
    You don't have to worry about gambling in OC this year. MD voted against it again. OC is safe for one more year.

kirbs316
    Sand Dollars

oc changes

I absolutely totally agree with NY-MD. Change is truly inevitable, and it usually is for the better. In most cases, it is probably welcomed. But I cannot see how changes occurring in OC are for the better or welcomed. Buildings are going up right on top of each other, and pretty soon an ocean view will only be available for those right along the coastline. The prices to stay overnight are ridiculous. I know of more and more families who used to always go to OC but are now going to Deep Creek Lake, Outer Banks, and so on. After our recent visit to OC, I'd say there is a very good likelihood that we'll be following their lead. I'm confident others will follow suit. Goodbye OC!! You'll never be the same - sadly.

ErinMC3
    Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by kirbs316
    Buildings are going up right on top of each other, and pretty soon an ocean view will only be available for those right along the coastline. The prices to stay overnight are ridiculous. I know of more and more families who used to always go to OC but are now going to Deep Creek Lake, Outer Banks, and so on.

I agree!! I also know of many who used to make OC their annual vacation spot but are now going to other places...Myrtle Beach, Outer Banks, Florida. You can FLY to one of these spots and stay the week for a lower price of going to OC. The constant building of condos is just crazy!!

Sand Dollars
    We too have been loyal vacationers to OC for many years, and when we visited in May were saddened to see that Shanty Town was gone, now 45th st village is in its final summer, the Bonfire soon to follow and the Hobbit. Prices have certainly incresed 100 fold over the years, but we still enjoy it, only less. This will probably be our last year for OC. We will most likely be heading to Va Beach or Outer Banks next year except for the trips to OC for Cruise In in May and Corvettes on the Boardwalk in Oct. It's sad to see the city cares more about $$$$ than people. Hope they don't realize it too late.

ErinMC3
    Sand Dollars
    Are there plans of closing the Bonfire down?? Please tell me no!

NY-MD
    Sand Dollars

Seems many share the same concerns

From the recent posts seems to me some people have seen the same reasons for concern about the future of OC.

For the most part OC is merely 3-4 blocks wide giving more people a place to stay, to live, to eat and to play requires more space. Some see that as not
    much of a problem others don't agree.

As a town with any size, most have a master plan. A plan to cover the acceptable growth, the future plans for developement, the limit of the area
    to support.

What is OC's master plan??? Do they have one???

If you can not longer find space to the east or west you have just one choice, the same choice every city and developed area finds. UP

With the recent upward growth of buildings in the OC area this solution is already being used.

What will the limit be in height??? 2 stories????? 4 stories?????UNLIMITED?

Reading the letters from year round residents who call OC home they are less then happy about the direction being taken.

What would the arguement for developement be???? Every area at one
    point in time will limit the growth allowed to protect that area. In some cases they should have but failed and now suffer the consequences.

Minimum lot sizes, height limits, square footage limits, all ways of slowing or halting growth.

4 blocks wide and no limits in sight. Not a workable plan...... Or no plan at all.

Sand Dollars
    Sorry, but yes the Bonfire is on the slate for demolition. The Hobbit will also be going, but will be rebuilt into another high rise condo on the same spot. They are also building a walkway across Coastal Highway from the old Sheraton Fontainbleu to a new parking garage across the street on the bay. Too many changes if you ask me. Not all good.

Sand Dollars

Correction

First of all, there will NOT be a skywalk from the Clarion parking lot on the west side of Coastal Highway to the hotel building on the east side of Coastal Highway. Even though that would have been the safest way to cross Coastal Highway and would have been trend-setting and forward-thinking, the City Council turned it down months ago (so much for acurate information).
    Second of all, the only reason there is so much building occurring in Ocean City is because there is so much demand for places to stay, buy & rent. Too many people from the Western Shore, PA, NY & NJ are looking for summer getaways, interest rates are down and whether you want to believe it or not, there is still a good value to buying at the beach.
    Many locals are upset with the building that's being done - most of them are retired senior citizens who would like to close the bridges and have all of the amenities and services and facilties that Ocean City has to offer all to themselves.
    They don't seem to realize that the ONLY reason Ocean City can offer all that it does at the VERY low tax rates that it has, is because of the tourists and visitors.
    Those of us who live here thank you all for vacationing with us. Most of us love it here and appreciate everything we have from the clean, wide, free beaches to the low crime rates, to Assateague Island, Historic Berlin, Delmarva Shorebirds, unique shopping & dining, etc., etc., etc.

Sand Dollars
    I agree with you Renee. If my community had tons of visitors each and every day, we would also enjoy many nice amenities.
    And you are correct too about the senior citizens, some of your officials have already voiced concerns about how they are going to deal with a growing older population and not enough services (free of course) to care for them.

Sand Dollars
    I didn't know that the skyway was turned down, The info was from an OC newspaper in June. Glad to hear that they turned it down, though. It would have made the skyline look worse. Glad the politicians have some sense afterall.