+ Reply to Thread

*****Hurricane Isabel***** INFORMATION NEEDED!

It is looking more and more likely that our friend Isabel, is going to be making a direct impact with Ocean City, MD by the end of the week. Anyone who is has knowledge of Hurricane's knows that the right section of the Hurricane is the worst part to be in. Current tracks show the eye (center) to be passing just west of Ocean City, which would put OC in smack dab in the worst part of the storm.

I am trying to find out how I can stay up to date on this Hurricane in regards with Ocean City. I have property in town and I need to know like, if the storm continues on it's projected path, will OC evacuate the town? Will the Bay Bridge be shut down? Will I be able to get into OC say the day/night before the storm hits, or will I be able to get in during the storm? All that good stuff. I have been doing searches on the net in regards to this storm and OC but I am not finding anything, not even the city talking about it possibly coming this way...which is scarey because it's only days away! Is there a OC website where I can go to get information about what they are talking about doing, or planning on doing if the Hurricane does strike?

Again, I can't find anything about this on any OC website.

I live in DC and I am going to be stuck to the news all week but I need some inside sources about what is going to go on in OC should I need to come into town to protect my interest.

Please help.

Thanks.

Scott

Sand Dollars
    Scott, one of the advantages of our improved weather technology is that we know about storms much further in advance than in previous years. One of the disadvantages is that predicting the direction of these storms is still somewhat difficult. The frustrating part is we all want answers before they are available. It will still be several days before we have a definitive idea of where this thing will make landfall. I doubt if our officials know whether they will close the Bay Bridge at this point and OC officials will also have to wait a bit before giving any evacuation notices. The best way to stay on top of the hurricane is the National Hurricane Center located here
    http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/index.shtml Click on maps and you will see a projected path and updates are given frequently. The town of Ocean Citys web site is http://www.town.ocean-city.md.us/

Originally posted by JackB:
    Scott, one of the advantages of our improved weather technology is that we know about storms much further in advance than in previous years. One of the disadvantages is that predicting the direction of these storms is still somewhat difficult. The frustrating part is we all want answers before they are available. It will still be several days before we have a definitive idea of where this thing will make landfall. I doubt if our officials know whether they will close the Bay Bridge at this point and OC officials will also have to wait a bit before giving any evacuation notices. The best way to stay on top of the hurricane is the National Hurricane Center located here
    http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/index.shtml Click on maps and you will see a projected path and updates are given frequently. The town of Ocean Citys web site is http://www.town.ocean-city.md.us/
    Jack

Thanks for the response. So if this thing does in fact affect OC, will the town of OC's website that you listed for me have information regarding it? I would like to know at least one place to get information on OC for this storm. I realize I can get info from the NHC website, but they dont have information about specific places that are in the storms path. They dont know who is evacuating, who is closing down, etc. I want the information fromthe horses mouth, so to speak

Thanks for the info.

Sand Dollars
    I don't know what Ocean City plans to post on their website. Another site to check is www.oceanpines.org. and click on news and look for general news. All that is there now is some preparedness suggestions and a list of shelters. Ocean Pines is the largest Association on the Eastern shore and only 5 miles west of OC so they will prepare as well for Isabelle. At this point they are asking folks to remove their boats from the marinas and that is about it. I assume on the National hurricane site you saw the test graphs that gave probibilities for landfall areas.