+ Reply to Thread
    Sand Dollars

Off season dining

Just came back from 4 days in OC and we didn't have any bad food at all. Thursday, we got into town around noon and couldn't decide where we wanted to have lunch, but decided to hit BJ's. We've never done lunch there, always dinner. The special that day was a half of a grilled chicken and salad for $9.99 and this is what the hubby ordered, I opted for the fish filet sandwich that came with their great chips and cole slaw. Both came quickly and were hot. Hubby's chicken nearly filled the plate and his salad was full of a good mix of greens and tomatoes, croutons, onions, and peppers topped with Thousand Island. My fish sandwich was fried a golden brown and served on a good size toasted hoagie roll, but it wasn't large enough for the size of the fish! Topped with fresh tomato and lettuce and their in house tartar sauce which is always a treat. The chips were super fresh and crunchy, and they even brought me a small cup of cole slaw which I let my hubby have since I'm not big on it. We just happened to be there during feeding time for the geese and ducks outside the window so we had some really funny entertainment to enjoy while we were eating, and there was an Osprey in the nest in the bay which we haven't seen for a couple of years. Great lunch. Bill was about $35 total with drinks, taxes and tip.
    Dinner that night, we drove up to Fenwick to the Lobster Shanty. Neither of us had ever tried them before, but many people had recommended them for a good lobster roll, so that's where I wanted to go. It turned out that on Thursday nights they have all of their "Big Bites" for just $19 each and that included their two cold water lobster tails that are normally $38, and their surf and turf which is an 8 oz. filet with a lobster tail that is normally $34. We both opted for the surf and turf and were so glad we did. The meal came with garlic mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli and you couldn't substitute either because it was a special. The mashed potatoes had very little garlic, if any, but were made with redskins and were very good, and the broccoli was not like any broccoli I've ever had. It was very long and thin, and looked more like asparagus or green beans. But it was so good I would have loved to have had more even though the portion size was huge. The dinner also came with a basket of delicious hard crust dinner rolls that were so good we asked for more. No dessert for either of us, and the total bill with taxes and tips was around $60. Definitely going back to the Shanty.
    We were staying at the Comfort Inn Gold Coast which has a Denny's attached to it, so Friday morning we headed there for brunch. Hubby ordered the chicken fried steak, hash browns, two over easy eggs and toast and coffee while I ordered from the $2, $4, $6, $8 menu and got the creamed chip beef on biscuits and scrambled eggs and bacon. My food was fine, the usual Denny's fare, but when the waitress served my husband his food and sat his toast down, they both noticed that the toast was moldy and she immediately took it back. Needless to say, his eggs were cold by the time his fresh toast came, but he and I both left full. Denny's offers an AARP discount, so it brought the bill down from $23 to $18 not including tip. Not too bad.
    We headed to the inlet and parked the car and walked the boardwalk for quite a while and of course got a box of Fisher's carmelcorn to enjoy while people watching and as always it was fresh and crunchy and sweet. Did some browsing in the shops on the boards, then went to the Frog Bar for a beer, but they didn't have Sam Adam's anything for me. I asked for a hard ice tea, and the girl looked at me and said, "what?" even though they were right behind her, but unopened. So she asked me if I wanted a hard cider instead and I opted for a hard black cherry and it was very good. It's hit or miss with the Frog. Kind of a miss this time but the atmosphere is always fun and the view is hard to beat.
    Friday night is senior citizen half price night at Embers in the off season, so that's where we headed. It's the one place my hubby always enjoys (me, not so much) and once again, Embers moved everything around on their buffet so I spent half of the time trying to find the things I like. Hubs went back 5 times and had nothing except crab legs, mussels, prime rib, and clams. He might have had a few shrimp, but I'm not sure. I had crab legs. I did try a small piece of the steak and peppers, but it was too hard to chew, and a spoonful of macaroni and cheese..........blah. But the crab legs were good and I had plenty. Total bill again with tip was around $60.
    Saturday morning we skipped breakfast and headed to the inlet for the Corvette show. We walked around for a couple of hours then headed to the Dough Roller next to the arcade. They opened at 11 and it was about 5 till and there was a line, but once the doors opened we were seated and waited on right away . Hubby ordered the 4 piece fried chicken dinner and I had the chicken and pancakes. The menu says it's Dayton's chicken and I'm assuming that's the batter they use, but it was excellent. Hubby's meal came with a large tossed salad with blue cheese dressing, fries, four pieces of chicken (they allow you to choose which four pieces you want) and two large pieces of cornbread. My meal came with two pieces of the fried chicken (my choice) and two of the best, lightest pancakes I've ever had. Everything was served fast and hot and very good. Bill was around $35 with tip.
    Saturday night we headed to Selbyville to Mio Fratello's and for a Saturday night in the middle of October you would have thought it was in season. We drove past Harpoon Hanna's and the Lobster Shanty and Smitty McGhee's and all were packed to capacity. So we were surprised to find that Mio's was just as crowded. We were asked if we had reservations, which we did not, but we were seated immediately anyway. We both ordered the linguine, hubby ordered meat sauce and I got the marinara, and meatballs. We didn't order salads. The waitress brought our drinks and a half loaf of their in house Italian bread with butter and garlic oil for dipping, and shortly after, our meals came. Huge portions, hot, cooked perfectly, large meatballs, and plenty of cheese. Still have not been let down by anything at Mio's. Again, the bill was around $65 with tip. Excellent food.
    Sunday morning we headed out and stopped in Sykesville for lunch at the Big Belly Deli for sandwiches. These things are not your regular sandwiches. They are served on two slices of toasted, thick, hard crusted Italian bread and are so packed that you can barely get your mouth around it. 1/2 of one of their sandwiches is enough to fill you up. Really, really good.
    So now back to my boring cooking until next time. Thanks OC for a great weekend and great food!
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    Thanks for the write-up.

I have to get Mio Fratello's on our list for next visit. It's received too much acclaim here for me to continue to miss out. Your review of the meatballs alone ...

I'm going to have to check out the sandwich place in Sykesville too. Sykesville?? Go figure!

Sand Dollars
    Great report!! I wish every day that Fenwick would get a shuttle out to the eateries on 54.PLEASE

Sand Dollars
    Z - Thanks for the great report. I'm glad you had pretty positive experiences on the whole trip! I'm going to have to try Mio Fratello's sometime

Sand Dollars
    After seeing this pic at the Frog Bar, I don't think we'll be going back there. I like the place, but if they allow dogs to be at and on the bar where people are eating and drinking.............it's not for me. Please, no dog lovers getting on me for being a dog hater. I like dogs........on a leash outside, not inside a restaurant.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    I so agree with you, Z! I can't believe that the Health Dept. would approve of this, even if it is "staged" for the picture. And, just to set the record straight, I, too, am a dog/animal lover.

Sand Dollars
    Thanks for the great report! Can't wait to go back to Ocean City!