+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sand Dollars

Smoking Ban - Year Two

Hello All,

Finally getting prepared to make my first trip to OC this summer.

I just wanted to see if anyone had any feedback on how the smoking ban is going.

It seemed like last summer, when I went in June, the ban was pretty much non existent. But, by Labor Day, people were doing a better job policing themselves and using the designated smoking areas on the beach.

How's it been going during the summer of 2016?

Sand Dollars

smoking ban

I am not sure how much they are enforcing it...we go to OC once a month..and i see people on the beach..and boardwalk still smoking Maybe not as many...but i do see some. also DOGS on boardwalk, I guess some rules dont apply to some people.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by ocmommom View Post
    I am not sure how much they are enforcing it...we go to OC once a month..and i see people on the beach..and boardwalk still smoking Maybe not as many...but i do see some. also DOGS on boardwalk, I guess some rules dont apply to some people.
    One of the things I noticed about the smoking ban is that the signs on the Boardwalk are not very big. So, unless you follow OC news or happen to catch that On the Boardwalk show on Channel 8, I could kinda see not being aware of the smoking ban.

I don't think I've ever seen anybody with a dog on the Boardwalk during the summer months, so that's a new one. I can't imagine its good for the dog, especially if its a small one.

Sand Dollars
    Where's my ROFL emoji? Enforced? All you have to do is watch some of the boardwalk cameras.

Dogs aren't allowed on the beach either, but in the evenings, all of the condo owners who are allowed to have their dogs in their units, let their animals run wild on the beach. Like the rules don't apply to them. You won't see them too much on the boards because there are normally some police around there, but anywhere else up the beach you'll see them. And plenty.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Z06RL View Post
    Where's my ROFL emoji? Enforced? All you have to do is watch some of the boardwalk cameras.

Dogs aren't allowed on the beach either, but in the evenings, all of the condo owners who are allowed to have their dogs in their units, let their animals run wild on the beach. Like the rules don't apply to them. You won't see them too much on the boards because there are normally some police around there, but anywhere else up the beach you'll see them. And plenty.
    I think we talked about this last summer, that Ocean City doesn't have the resources to enforce a smoking ban, especially on a crowded Boardwalk. To be honest though, I think more signage could help.

But, unfortunately, like you said, some people just think the rules don't apply to them.

Sand Dollars
    Just returned from a 7 day stay in OC. Lots of people smoking on the boardwalk and bikes after the hours they were supposed to be off.Didnt see any pets.Some people just do not care...

Sand Dollars
    Well, it looks like things are about to change and people are going to start getting citations. http://mdcoastdispatch.com/2016/07/1...-on-boardwalk/
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Z06RL View Post
    Well, it looks like things are about to change and people are going to start getting citations. http://mdcoastdispatch.com/2016/07/1...-on-boardwalk/
    This is good news. While I know it would be hard to stop smoking completely on an almost three mile Boardwalk, with the amount of Police on the south end, it would be very easy to issue citations.

Hopefully, once people start getting these, that'll show that Ocean City is taking the ban seriously.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Kds53098 View Post
    This is good news. While I know it would be hard to stop smoking completely on an almost three mile Boardwalk, with the amount of Police on the south end, it would be very easy to issue citations.

Hopefully, once people start getting these, that'll show that Ocean City is taking the ban seriously.

Was just in OC this past weekend, nothing has changed

Sand Dollars
    I have been down for the past four weekends and spent the entire week last week in OC. Of the 11 or 12 days I have spent on the beach this year, I have witnessed 4 people smoking, and two of the four were during the Air Show. Overall, I think smoking has reduced, and I have also noticed way fewer butts in the sand. A few years ago, it seemed like they were everywhere, but there are few if any on the beach now.