Thread: College Weekend

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Sand Dollars

College Weekend

Apparently, this past weekend was a college weekend in Ocean City. Does anybody have any information on this? I wasn't sure which college it was, but I noticed a lot of unruly behavior on the beach and Boardwalk downtown over the weekend.

http://www.mdcoastdispatch.com/2016/...crowds-gather/

Should I add this weekend to Senior Week and H20i as times to avoid going to Ocean City?

Sand Dollars
    No, not a college weekend. It was an organized Black Lives Matter melee. People were bused into town and late Friday night into Saturday morning and Saturday night into Sunday morning, it was bad. I noticed Friday night how many people were gathered on the boardwalk and how the crowd grew and grew and grew in the area of 9th and 10th St. I was watching on the Backshore Brew live camera which is located just above eye level on the boards. Friday night they were loud, riding hoverboards, skateboards, and dancing in that area until very late and the police rode their bikes through, or drove their vehicles through the crowds, but did not break them up or confront them. I happen to be one of those people who is up all night most nights, and at 4:30 a.m. they were still playing football on the boardwalk. Late Saturday night, they gathered again. The tram shut down at 8. State Police were on the boardwalk and I guess things got stirred up. It could have been so much worse. These people are just out trying to push buttons, push police into reactions, and then get on the news and internet. Ridiculous. Ocean City's police and the State Police did an excellent job keeping the peace and handling the crowds. BUT the city has been harmed. People who were staying in those areas reportedly left OC in the middle of the night out of fear. But I will say that Sunday night was back to OC's calm, quiet self again.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Z06RL View Post
    No, not a college weekend. It was an organized Black Lives Matter melee. People were bused into town and late Friday night into Saturday morning and Saturday night into Sunday morning, it was bad. I noticed Friday night how many people were gathered on the boardwalk and how the crowd grew and grew and grew in the area of 9th and 10th St. I was watching on the Backshore Brew live camera which is located just above eye level on the boards. Friday night they were loud, riding hoverboards, skateboards, and dancing in that area until very late and the police rode their bikes through, or drove their vehicles through the crowds, but did not break them up or confront them. I happen to be one of those people who is up all night most nights, and at 4:30 a.m. they were still playing football on the boardwalk. Late Saturday night, they gathered again. The tram shut down at 8. State Police were on the boardwalk and I guess things got stirred up. It could have been so much worse. These people are just out trying to push buttons, push police into reactions, and then get on the news and internet. Ridiculous. Ocean City's police and the State Police did an excellent job keeping the peace and handling the crowds. BUT the city has been harmed. People who were staying in those areas reportedly left OC in the middle of the night out of fear. But I will say that Sunday night was back to OC's calm, quiet self again.
    We were on northern part of the Boardwalk on Friday evening, and we noticed the gathering around 9th or so.

When we went out Saturday night, we went no further north than Fisher's. Seemed like they wanted to stay where it wasn't quite as crowded.

I'm glad to hear the local police did a good job keeping things in check, or things could've gotten out of hand.

Sand Dollars
    Ken

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by terp84alum View Post
    I'm glad to see a media source that's not afraid to call them "thugs" instead of "protesters."

Sand Dollars
    Protestors don't throw bottles at and assault law enforcement officers. Or is that considered protesting in your mind?
    Ken

Sand Dollars
    Protestors don't throw bottles at and assault law enforcement officers.
    Nope, but that's what the local media in Baltimore were calling the rioters last April.

Sand Dollars
    I think I misunderstood you. I agree with the media calling them what they are. Yes, Baltimore's Stephanie Rawlings-Blakeis quite the piece of work.
    Ken

Sand Dollars
    I think I misunderstood you. I agree with the media calling them what they are. Yes, Baltimore's Stephanie Rawlings-Blakeis quite the piece of work.
    It's all good.

Yep, she's one of the reasons I'm moving out of Baltimore City. I'd move to the Eastern Shore if I could.

Sand Dollars
    Well, here's hoping they're not going to make this a weekly weekend thing.
    Ask an OC Insider