+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Z06RL View Post
    I agree that they do a great job. Ocean City is very safe, and the police shouldn't have to worry about nonsense like smoking. I think the ideal answer would be to have boardwalk "police", kind of like meter maids. People whose only job is to patrol the boards and direct people to the smoking areas, or tell the dog walkers that dogs aren't allowed till October, etc. This shouldn't be a cop's job.
    On a good note, a visitor posted this today: "I just asked a bunch of cops at northside park if I could walk the trail and he asked me if I was pokemoning and I was like yes sir lol and he was like here I got something for you and started blasting the pokemon theme music over his car loud speaker lmao searching far and wide ! Came out of nowhere." I think they're awesome to do that. Made her day.
    That's a pretty funny story.

A Boardwalk patrol is a pretty good idea. Of course, there would be fiscal concerns, but maybe they could take care of smoking, bikes, skateboards, making sure performers have permits while the OCPD take care of more important issues.

Sand Dollars
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Z06RL View Post
    Sounds like they're really taking it seriously.

I can't imagine an incident with a smoker escalating to the point where the person gets arrested, but very little surprises me.

Sand Dollars
    Watching the Backshore Brew cam again tonite (11:20 p.m.) and the whole gambit it on the boards. Smokers, people walking their dogs (not little dogs either!) on leashes, skateboarders, two guys throwing footballs, and bicycles!! http://www.backshorebrew.com/webcam-boardwalk.cfm
    This really is the best, up close camera on the boards.
    Last edited by Z06RL; 07-15-2016 at 10:45 PM.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars

Cool smoking ban

was in OC the past 5 days... on boardwalk one day... and saw a vew people smoking. some people just dont care. and some were employes of the t shirt stores...standing out by the door smoking.... and saw a few little dogs being carried... Rules just dont apply to some people i suppose...
    But all in all...alot LESS smoking ...

Sand Dollars
    I just got back from a week in OC. This was my first trip this summer, and I did see less smoking than last year.

But, I did see at least five dogs on the Boardwalk, which I've never seen before in the summertime.

Sand Dollars
    I was sitting on the balcony late one not-so-great afternoon this trip. I happened to notice a young mom was the last person in her group still on the beach and quite literally the only person in 5-6 blocks in either direction. I was refreshingly surprised when this young woman walked back to the smokers stand, had her cigarette there and didn't return to her blankets until she had finished. While she had every opportunity to disregard the law she did not.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by pghDave View Post
    I was sitting on the balcony late one not-so-great afternoon this trip. I happened to notice a young mom was the last person in her group still on the beach and quite literally the only person in 5-6 blocks in either direction. I was refreshingly surprised when this young woman walked back to the smokers stand, had her cigarette there and didn't return to her blankets until she had finished. While she had every opportunity to disregard the law she did not.
    That's good.

I've been to OC several more times since my last post.

And I will say that during my last three trips (mid August, Labor Day, Sunfest) and I'm happy to say that I've seen significantly less smoking on the Boardwalk and Beach than last year. I hope the trend continues.

I'd still like to see more businesses ban smoking in their outdoor seating areas, but that's a whole other issue.

Sand Dollars
    With H20I in town this weekend, I expect that you'll find that law being broken over and over and over again.
    Ask an OC Insider