Sign Up|Sign In|Contact|Advertise
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29
  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    943
    Sand Dollars
    3,954
    Quote Originally Posted by montegoman View Post
    I have been down for the past four weekends and spent the entire week last week in OC. Of the 11 or 12 days I have spent on the beach this year, I have witnessed 4 people smoking, and two of the four were during the Air Show. Overall, I think smoking has reduced, and I have also noticed way fewer butts in the sand. A few years ago, it seemed like they were everywhere, but there are few if any on the beach now.
    Good. Hope it continues to improve.

    Now if we could just convince the bars with outside seating on the Boardwalk to ban smoking (ie. The Frog and Hammerheads).

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    177
    Sand Dollars
    1,390
    Just ignore that crap and you will enjoy your vacation more. I am down there most weekends and sometimes during the week. Rarely do I see people smoking....but I am also not spending my leisure time looking for it. Just relax.

    .....and NO....I am not and have never been a smoker.

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    943
    Sand Dollars
    3,954
    Quote Originally Posted by DeMan View Post
    Just ignore that crap and you will enjoy your vacation more. I am down there most weekends and sometimes during the week. Rarely do I see people smoking....but I am also not spending my leisure time looking for it. Just relax.

    .....and NO....I am not and have never been a smoker.
    I don't mind it as much when I'm walking around as it's really easy to avoid a cloud of smoke on the Boardwalk.

    However, if I'm lucky enough to get a seat at, say The Frog, outside and want to camp out there and enjoy a meal or a libation or two, it's very annoying to have smoke blowing in my face.

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    177
    Sand Dollars
    1,390
    I hear ya....and I didn't mean to sound like I was lecturing, I just hate to see people's vacation time ruined by inconsiderate people. I have chosen to try to ignore that stuff recently and I have enjoyed myself more. Just like I ignore the reckless driving, jaywalking, loud obnoxious people.....damnit....I was doing so well!! Lol

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    943
    Sand Dollars
    3,954
    Quote Originally Posted by DeMan View Post
    I hear ya....and I didn't mean to sound like I was lecturing, I just hate to see people's vacation time ruined by inconsiderate people. I have chosen to try to ignore that stuff recently and I have enjoyed myself more. Just like I ignore the reckless driving, jaywalking, loud obnoxious people.....damnit....I was doing so well!! Lol
    I don't do a ton of driving up and down Coastal in the summer months, so I can kind of ignore the driving issue.

    I know going into my summer trips that the Boardwalk and beaches will be crowded, and there will be some obnoxious people, but my wife and I are pretty good at laughing that off.

    But having smoke blowing into my face tends to be harder to ignore.

    However, it's usually a moot point, as the outdoor seating area at The Frog tends to fill up. Perhaps we'll just avoid that area all together as they usually have the screens open in the indoor portion, so we get the sea breeze, and with the TVs, we can watch the Orioles game.

  6. #16
    Senior Member Z06RL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,200
    Sand Dollars
    7,232
    Sitting here right now watching the Backshore Brew cam and there are two men smoking right on camera and have been for 10 minutes. Not one person said anything to them nor have I seen a police officer.
    Ask an OC Insider

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    943
    Sand Dollars
    3,954
    Quote Originally Posted by Z06RL View Post
    Sitting here right now watching the Backshore Brew cam and there are two men smoking right on camera and have been for 10 minutes. Not one person said anything to them nor have I seen a police officer.
    Unfortunately, the Beach and Boardwalk smoking ban and the Clean Air act of 2007 apparently does not apply to outdoor seating areas in bars.

    I did a little research on this last summer, and the decision to allow smoking in outdoor seating areas is up to the business. I even contacted Mayor Rick Meehan about the possibility of banning smoking in all outdoor seating areas on the Boardwalk, and he confirmed that it's up to the individual business.

  8. #18
    Senior Member Z06RL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,200
    Sand Dollars
    7,232
    These men were standing in front of the Backshore on the boardwalk. They weren't sitting at the restaurant's outside dining area. Weren't on the Backshore's property at all. They were on the boardwalk. I enjoy this camera because it's low and you can watch people so plainly on the boards. It's a good one. Of course I understand that the city police have WAY more important things to do than to worry about smokers. And they do an excellent job keeping OC safe.
    Thank you OC Police Dept. for all you do.
    Ask an OC Insider

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    943
    Sand Dollars
    3,954
    Quote Originally Posted by Z06RL View Post
    These men were standing in front of the Backshore on the boardwalk. They weren't sitting at the restaurant's outside dining area. Weren't on the Backshore's property at all. They were on the boardwalk. I enjoy this camera because it's low and you can watch people so plainly on the boards. It's a good one. Of course I understand that the city police have WAY more important things to do than to worry about smokers. And they do an excellent job keeping OC safe.
    Thank you OC Police Dept. for all you do.
    Ooooooooohhhh. Sorry about that.

    The OCPD does a great job, but I think if they hand out a few citations for smoking, then people who soon realize that there are consequences.

  10. #20
    Senior Member Z06RL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,200
    Sand Dollars
    7,232
    I agree that they do a great job. Ocean City is very safe, and the police shouldn't have to worry about nonsense like smoking. I think the ideal answer would be to have boardwalk "police", kind of like meter maids. People whose only job is to patrol the boards and direct people to the smoking areas, or tell the dog walkers that dogs aren't allowed till October, etc. This shouldn't be a cop's job.
    On a good note, a visitor posted this today: "I just asked a bunch of cops at northside park if I could walk the trail and he asked me if I was pokemoning and I was like yes sir lol and he was like here I got something for you and started blasting the pokemon theme music over his car loud speaker lmao searching far and wide ! Came out of nowhere." I think they're awesome to do that. Made her day.
    Ask an OC Insider

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Ocean City Maryland Hotels and Info for the Perfect OC Vacation | OceanCity.com
Get SocialGet Social
Facebook Twitter Flickr Pinterest