+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by ocmommom View Post
    how is it still open..if it is that bad,,? I took my kids about 30 years ago to it.. dont remember much about it..but we never went back.. How about Johan and the Whale buffet..? i see that is 30 bucks??/ is that good or bad?
    I went to Paul Revere's once 20 years ago. The food was awful. I think I ate more soft serve ice cream than any dinner stuff.

I guess it's open because of the price, but there are other places you can take a family to and not pay a ton of money. There's pizza and burger places, or even fast food.

I've never been to Jonah and the Whale. I that Bonfire and Embers are both around $30, and they're both good buffets.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Z06RL View Post
    Um.............purge. Vomit. Expel. Puke. Blow chunks. lol
    It could actually be called a " shpurge"....a terrible double explosion.

Sand Dollars
    how is it still open..if it is that bad,,? I took my kids about 30 years ago to it.. dont remember much about it..but we never went back.. How about Johan and the Whale buffet..? i see that is 30 bucks??/ is that good or bad?

If we rated the 10 worst places to eat in OC it would start
    1. Paul Revere
    2. Jonah and the Whale

Phillips would be my number 3, followed by Sorianos.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    If we rated the 10 worst places to eat in OC it would start
    1. Paul Revere
    2. Jonah and the Whale

Phillips would be my number 3, followed by Sorianos.
    I'd add Happy Jack. Overrated. Overpriced. There are many many better options for breakfast - TC Diner, Brass Balls, Laytons all come to mind.

Also, I've been to the Decatur Diner twice (most recently in 2013). Not impressed with the food, or the cleanliness.

Sand Dollars
    uggg thanks....i try not to do all you can eats.... went to both when my kids were young. 30 plus years ago....LOL did go to bonfire or embers i forget which about 2 years ago...was actually good

Sand Dollars
    uggg thanks....i try not to do all you can eats.... went to both when my kids were young. 30 plus years ago....LOL did go to bonfire or embers i forget which about 2 years ago...was actually good
    We do The Embers once a year, usually on Presidents' Day weekend.

We don't go there in summer as we do a lot more walking around in the evenings, and that's just too heavy a meal.

Sand Dollars
    I think PR might be a money laundering business for the Russian Mob . That's why it's still around. As much as I dislike PR, I would have to rate Embers as the worst since I ended up at Atlantic General for food poisoning after my sister's wedding reception there several years ago. Then PR, then Jonah, then Dough Roller which is Over-priced & over-rated, then Jonah, then Greene Turtle,

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hall View Post
    I think PR might be a money laundering business for the Russian Mob . That's why it's still around. As much as I dislike PR, I would have to rate Embers as the worst since I ended up at Atlantic General for food poisoning after my sister's wedding reception there several years ago. Then PR, then Jonah, then Dough Roller which is Over-priced & over-rated, then Jonah, then Greene Turtle,
    When did that happen? Just curious as I've been eating at Embers at least once a year since 2009.

I've never had a bad meal at the Turtle.

I like Dough Roller, but I agree that they're a tad overrated as I prefer the pizza from Tony's, Lombardi's, Tugos, and Carusos over them. The Dough Roller breakfast is ridiculously over priced. I was down there last June for the Air Show. Breakfast for four adults and a small child was in the $80.00 range!!!!

Sand Dollars
    We go to Embers on Thursday nights because they are half price for seniors every Thursday. In all the years, we've only once or maybe twice had a bad experience there and that includes this year. This year was bad for me, but the hubby enjoyed it. I'm a big crab leg eater and the legs were rubbery and tasteless. Bonfire..............no thanks. We haven't tried Princess Royale in a long time (like 4 years) but it was good then. And the Clarion buffet is usually spot on. Their breakfast buffet is very good on Sunday mornings. But you have to go to buffets knowing it is what it is.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    We go to Embers on Thursday nights because they are half price for seniors every Thursday. In all the years, we've only once or maybe twice had a bad experience there and that includes this year. This year was bad for me, but the hubby enjoyed it. I'm a big crab leg eater and the legs were rubbery and tasteless. Bonfire..............no thanks. We haven't tried Princess Royale in a long time (like 4 years) but it was good then. And the Clarion buffet is usually spot on. Their breakfast buffet is very good on Sunday mornings. But you have to go to buffets knowing it is what it is.
    I'm not really into Alaska crab legs. But my wife loves them, and tends to get quite a few at Ember's.

The one thing there that I won't touch is that stuff that they call crab imperial. I don't know what they think crab imperial is, but that's not it.