+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Sand Dollars
    You're welcome. I think they close Oct-April. You'll have to dig around their website to confirm that though.

Sand Dollars
    Yes, Pino's was definitely closed this past year during that time frame. I tried their pizza for the first time last summer. I'd have to say, I wasn't overly impressed. I've heard for years how people boast about how good it is but honestly, it was nothing special for me. Decent? Yes. Very limited menu as well...smallest pizza you can get is a 16". The chicken tenders were average at best. Just my opinion, though.

Sand Dollars
    Dang. Maybe I'll venture up there during my trip next month.

On a related note, I tried Grotto's for the first time last week. I wasn't too impressed to be honest. I think I'd have liked it better if they didn't use the "target" method of lining up the cheese and sauce. If I recall, Piezano's does the same.

With Tony's, Caruso's, Tugo's, Mione's, and Lombardi's in town, I doubt I'd go to Grotto again.

Sand Dollars
    Ponzetti's uses the same method with their sauce but given the choice, I'd take Ponzetti's any day over Grotto's. Personally, I think the best pizzas in OC are Dough Roller, Ponzetti's and Lombardi's.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Kds53098 View Post
    Dang. Maybe I'll venture up there during my trip next month.

On a related note, I tried Grotto's for the first time last week. I wasn't too impressed to be honest. I think I'd have liked it better if they didn't use the "target" method of lining up the cheese and sauce. If I recall, Piezano's does the same.

With Tony's, Caruso's, Tugo's, Mione's, and Lombardi's in town, I doubt I'd go to Grotto again.
    I went to Grotto's for the first time during Cruisin this year. It was Saturday at 9 PM. I'm never going back again. I was apprehensive at first because it looked like a Dough Roller on the outside and I'm not shy on here about my disdain for that place. Despite having plenty of room in the dining room where other people were eating, they put me, my sister, her fiance and her 2 boys aged 14 and 16 in the back corner of the bar section. We ordered 2 appetizers (don't remember what they were) and 1 cheese steak pizza and 1 pepperoni pizza. 25 minutes later our pizzas came out. We ask where the appetizers were and they came out 10 minutes later. I don't remember anything being wrong with the appetizers but the pizzas were just crap. The dough was soggy and flimsy. The sauce and cheese had no chance of staying on and they weren't piping hot either. We didn't eat them until after the appetizers. The cheese steak pizza really had no flavor at all and the onions were almost raw. The pepperoni pizza wasn't much to write about either taste wise. The sauce was just 'weird' tasting and very watery. With all that being said, it was still better then my experiences at Dough Roller.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by OCMike View Post
    Ponzetti's uses the same method with their sauce but given the choice, I'd take Ponzetti's any day over Grotto's. Personally, I think the best pizzas in OC are Dough Roller, Ponzetti's and Lombardi's.
    I forgot to mention Dough Roller. I like them a lot too. Lombardi's is great. I wish they'd expand their West OC location to a full restaurant. I was hoping they'd move into the old CVS on 611.

I had Ponzetti's once about 20 years ago, and I wasn't overly impressed. I do like the fact that I think they have the longest running commercial that airs on local OC television.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Kds53098 View Post
    I forgot to mention Dough Roller. I like them a lot too. Lombardi's is great. I wish they'd expand their West OC location to a full restaurant. I was hoping they'd move into the old CVS on 611.

I had Ponzetti's once about 20 years ago, and I wasn't overly impressed. I do like the fact that I think they have the longest running commercial that airs on local OC television.
    That song sticks in your head for sure! LOL!

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by OCMike View Post
    That song sticks in your head for sure! LOL!
    Yes, it's right up there with the Candy Kitchen jingle.