+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sand Dollars
    As a kid, I used to go down to OCMD all the time with my Dad and my friends and I've been getting back in the habit of going again the past few years with my fiancee. I graduated in 1998 as well and remember the Fastball song and also "Closing Time" by Semisonic. I still love that song.

Some of my favorites over the years were the Bob Marley Legend album (great for relaxing on a deck drinking a beer before dinner), "Vacation" by the Go Gos (a favorite when crossing into town), "Summertime" by Sublime and pretty much all Sublime albums. I also have fond memories of 80s Steve Winwood songs like "Finer Things" and "Back in the High Life" because they remind me of the beach being with my Dad.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingInTheSand View Post
    As a kid, I used to go down to OCMD all the time with my Dad and my friends and I've been getting back in the habit of going again the past few years with my fiancee. I graduated in 1998 as well and remember the Fastball song and also "Closing Time" by Semisonic. I still love that song.

Some of my favorites over the years were the Bob Marley Legend album (great for relaxing on a deck drinking a beer before dinner), "Vacation" by the Go Gos (a favorite when crossing into town), "Summertime" by Sublime and pretty much all Sublime albums. I also have fond memories of 80s Steve Winwood songs like "Finer Things" and "Back in the High Life" because they remind me of the beach being with my Dad.
    YES!!! "Closing Time" was one of the other big songs we kept hearing during SW 1998. Also, the Cherry Poppin Daddies with "Zoot Suit Riot." (Yeah, remember when swing came back??).

I've not at all fond of music in the late 90s, but those songs by Fastball, Semisonic, and the Cherry Poppin Daddies do bring back a lot of memories (and for late 90s music, one could do a LOT worse).

Sand Dollars

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Kds53098 View Post
    seagirl,

I think the craziest thing we did as seniors in OC was drink a bunch of Mad Dog 20/20, then walk to the Maui Mini Golf Course.

We also did AYCE crabs at Waterman's twice.

We were party animals. :-)
    Kds53098

We had Mad Dog too. Fun times. I can't believe I'm the responsible mom now chasing my 2 little girls around now to reapply sunscreen on the beach..I do think someone really wild from my group jumped off the balcony into the pool at "The Riv" as we called it. Wouldn't surprise me if "The Final Countdown" was playing.lol

Sand Dollars
    You youngsters with your Mad Dog. We were doing that in the early 90's
    When we went down in the late summer of the year I graduated (94), the song Possum Kingdom from The Toadies was big. Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden, The Sign by Ace of Base, Shoop by Salt n Pepa & Loser by Beck are others that remind me of being down there. And Casey Kasem
    Last edited by Bob Hall; 06-22-2016 at 09:23 PM.

Sand Dollars
    I do remember the Swing songs from the late 90s. My girlfriend at the time wanted me to take swing dance lessons, as that was all the rage. I said no. I do not regret my decision.

Two other songs came to mind from the very early 90s. In July of 1991, we had a very tiny British invasion with both "Unbelievable" by EMF and "Right Here, Right Now" by Jesus Jones. You don't hear those two songs on the radio much anymore, but you couldn't get away from those songs that summer.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingInTheSand View Post
    I do remember the Swing songs from the late 90s. My girlfriend at the time wanted me to take swing dance lessons, as that was all the rage. I said no. I do not regret my decision.

Two other songs came to mind from the very early 90s. In July of 1991, we had a very tiny British invasion with both "Unbelievable" by EMF and "Right Here, Right Now" by Jesus Jones. You don't hear those two songs on the radio much anymore, but you couldn't get away from those songs that summer.
    I definitely remember both of those songs being big in the summer of 1991. Funny, I just heard the Jesus Jones song recently. I think I was at a grocery store.

For some reason, I always think of OC when I hear the Joe Jackson song "Steppin Out." I must've heard it down there in the mid 80s when I was a kid.

Sand Dollars

Soundtracks

I remember EMF and Jesus Jones..they were always on MTV..when they actually played music. I also remember DMX-"It's all good" being played often and Summer Girls by LFO...the I like girls that wear Abercrombie and Fitch song. Ugh..most of this music is not at all what I would listen to now. 2-3 years ago we saw a Rod Stewart impersonator on the boardwalk performing. So now many of his songs also remind me of the beach. Great thread!

Sand Dollars

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hall View Post
    You youngsters with your Mad Dog. We were doing that in the early 90's
    When we went down in the late summer of the year I graduated (94), the song Possum Kingdom from The Toadies was big. Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden, The Sign by Ace of Base, Shoop by Salt n Pepa & Loser by Beck are others that remind me of being down there. And Casey Kasem
    Black Hole Sun..good song, weird video. lol The Sign I think won the award for the most over played song EVER. You could not escape it. In addition to Mad Dog 20/20, Zima was a favorite...of course with a Jolly Rancher soaking in it.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by seagirl View Post
    Black Hole Sun..good song, weird video. lol The Sign I think won the award for the most over played song EVER. You could not escape it. In addition to Mad Dog 20/20, Zima was a favorite...of course with a Jolly Rancher soaking in it.
    Bud Ice was our drink of choice when not drinking Mad Dog.