+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Sand Dollars

Arctic gold course

I too loved playing at the arctic themed mini golf course. I remember it being down far probably almost at Division street. It was super bright at night time. In the 80's there used to also be a go cart place right on Coastal Highway. It was under a roof and everything. I am pretty sure they sprinkled baby power on the turns to make it a little more exciting.

Sand Dollars
    The covered go-kart track you are referring to was called the Pro-Trac and it was a "slick track" oval. And you are right, they did use baby powder to make the track more slippery so the go-karts could spin out easier if you were not careful. It was located at 51st street which is now part of the huge Seacrets parking lot. In fact, the concrete oval can still be seen in the northeast corner of the property.

It was part of a whole complex referred to as the 51st Family Fun Park as I remember. There was a mini-golf course, along with a tank battle, electric kiddie cars, and a few other minor attractions I can't recall. Also, not part of the complex, but sitting on the shared parking lot area was also a stand-alone sit-down Alaska Stand restaurant.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by mink66 View Post
    The covered go-kart track you are referring to was called the Pro-Trac and it was a "slick track" oval. And you are right, they did use baby powder to make the track more slippery so the go-karts could spin out easier if you were not careful. It was located at 51st street which is now part of the huge Seacrets parking lot. In fact, the concrete oval can still be seen in the northeast corner of the property.

It was part of a whole complex referred to as the 51st Family Fun Park as I remember. There was a mini-golf course, along with a tank battle, electric kiddie cars, and a few other minor attractions I can't recall. Also, not part of the complex, but sitting on the shared parking lot area was also a stand-alone sit-down Alaska Stand restaurant.
    I believe that's where the original Paradise Cove Mini Golf was.

I was just talking to my wife about that Alaska Stand, the big yellow building on Coastal. I'm pretty sure I ate there at least once, but I'm not 100%.

Sand Dollars
    When I was a kid, we ordered ice cream sundaes at that Alaska Stand. We waited for over 30 minutes, and then my dad got up to see what the issue was. Apparently, the waitress either quit or was fired in the middle of her shift and took our order with her. We got free sundaes that night!

Sand Dollars

Smile Pro Trac

Quote Originally Posted by mink66 View Post

Wow! That's interesting to know. I remember going there on rain days with my cousins, aunts, uncles and grandparents.It is weird these places slowly disappear and re replaced with something new. I never knew it was where Seacrets is now. Didn't the Alaska Stand Restaurant look kind of like a big house? I would love to take a video camera up and down Coastal Highway and the Boardwalk to document the changes.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by seagirl View Post
    Wow! That's interesting to know. I remember going there on rain days with my cousins, aunts, uncles and grandparents.It is weird these places slowly disappear and re replaced with something new. I never knew it was where Seacrets is now. Didn't the Alaska Stand Restaurant look kind of like a big house? I would love to take a video camera up and down Coastal Highway and the Boardwalk to document the changes.
    Yes, it looked like a big yellow house.

Here's a good clip that was posted here a few summers ago, showing a ride on the Boardwalk Tram in 1986

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFV5fEXd88g

Sand Dollars
    That video brings me back to my childhood...love it! It's funny to see all of the phone booths on the boardwalk...LOL.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by OCMike View Post
    That video brings me back to my childhood...love it! It's funny to see all of the phone booths on the boardwalk...LOL.
    The number of phone booths stuck out to me too.

There was another clip that I couldn't find that showed mostly the south end of the Boardwalk from (I think) 1987. And it was amazing how little has changed on that part of the Boardwalk......other than the big change that it's no longer concrete.

Sand Dollars

video

Quote Originally Posted by Kds53098 View Post
    Yes, it looked like a big yellow house.

Here's a good clip that was posted here a few summers ago, showing a ride on the Boardwalk Tram in 1986

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFV5fEXd88g
    Love that video! I noticed a lot more 2-3 story buildings and houses rather than the larger hotels that are there now. The phone booths are almost strange to see. Loved OC then and now.

Sand Dollars
    Played lots of rounds at Iceland Golf between Somerset and Wicomico streets. Stayed at the White Marlin Condos right there as a kid in August for a week every year

I remember the Trimpers course too down from the Tidal Wave