+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sand Dollars

Gold Rush Golf and other extinct mini golf courses

I have alot of memories playing mini golf in Ocean City from my childhood. Some of them still remain today (pirate golf), but there are a few that no longer exist. One of the ones i distinctively remember is Gold Rush golf that was located at Jolly Roger (i believe). Just wanted to get some other people's opinions here and if they remember that one. If anyone has any photos of this i would love to see them! Another i remember was one somewhere in downtown that had an arctic theme to it. I cant remember the exact location though. What are some of your favorite old school courses?

Sand Dollars
    We played the Arctic one when our kids were small. And of course the indoor ones at 68th St. We're not big mini golf people.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    There used to be a course at Trimper's. Granted it wasn't a great course, and didn't really have any stunts. But, it was cheap and rarely crowded. It was leveled to make room for more rides.

It would be nice to have another mini golf option in downtown OC again.

There was also the Paradise Cove courses. There were three at one time (one on 50th st, around 17th I think, and one further north).

Sand Dollars
    Gold Rush was up on the north end of the city. I think it was where Grotto Pizza is now (formerly Dough Roller). There was a bar next to it called Terrapin Station, and there were bumper boats out front. I loved that course. We used to be able to ride our bikes there. I also spent a lot of time on the three courses on 136th--Polynesian, Safari, and Pirate. And we played the Old Pro courses on 65th as well--Space Age and Cowboy. My family loved mini golfing, and I have some great childhood memories of those courses. My kids love it now, and we are making new family memories on the many cool courses in OC and Fenwick.

Sand Dollars
    Slightly related topic ...

I saw in a recent "The Dispatch" that Old Pro of Old Pro golf (Herb Schoellkopf) recently passed away.

Obit noted that he operated 20 mini golf courses along the east coast at one time before consolidating down to 4 during the 80's. Also notes that he built 150 or so mini golf courses and entertainment centers over the years.

Apparently he was involved with the business right up until the end at age 95. Proof again that Mini Golf is good for the mind, soul and body!

Sand Dollars
    I liked the old sunburst mini golf (next door to Anthony's Carryout) course that was between 16 & 17 streets on coastal highway. I believe that there are townhomes/condos on that site now.
    common sense is not so common

Sand Dollars
    Gold Rush Golf was my favorite mini-golf place growing up. It was definitely up in the north end of OC and not at Jolly Roger. My cousins and I used to play multiple rounds there and then get soaked on the bumper boats. I wish there was a place in OC that still had bumper boats...they were awesome! I do remember passing Ice Land Golf on our way to the inlet, when I was younger but I don't think we ever went there. My current favorite place would be Ember's Island on 23rd. St.

Sand Dollars
    Baja Amusements in West OC still has bumper boats. However, these are electric and don't seem anywhere near as fast as the gas powered ones they used to have at the Gold Rush Mini Golf.

Sand Dollars
    Thanks, mink! Good to know.

Sand Dollars
    Down under mini golf up towards the north end, maybe a little across the line is the best down here in my opinion