+ Reply to Thread
    Sand Dollars

what roller coaster is this?

I found this vintage postcard of the dunes motel in OC Md. I noticed the rollercoaster on the right corner. Where is this from? Jolly Roger is further up the road. I don't ever remember seeing this and I have been going to Ocean City since the early eighties. dunes.jpg

Sand Dollars
    Hard to say. I remember years ago there were go carts and a smaller amusement park in that area. Could even have been an earlier version of Jolly Rogers. I'm talking early 90's. Looking at the picture though, it doesn't look to be vintage. Maybe 20 years ago at most. Bathing suits, umbrellas, and just the area in general look fairly recent.
    Last edited by Z06RL; 05-18-2016 at 07:05 PM.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    Hard to say. I remember years ago there were go carts and a smaller amusement park in that area. Could even have been an earlier version of Jolly Rogers. I'm talking early 90's. Looking at that post card, it doesn't look like it was that long ago. Bathing suits, umbrellas, etc, all look to be only about 20 years old or so at most.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    I believe that might be the Wild Mouse roller coaster that was at the south end of Jolly Roger. It was present in the 90's but I think that area is now a parking lot for the park.

Sand Dollars
    I was amazed of that coaster too because it looked to be a newer one. I found a Dunes Motel postcard from the 70's and it all that can be seen around the place is the sky. This postcard that shows the coaster has the same photographer and postcard printing company so I am guessing maybe later 80's or early nineties also. Thanks for helping me with this puzzle. I thought at first the coaster was photo shopped in the pic, lol.

Sand Dollars
    Thank you for helping. I think I will have to buy this postcard to add to my OC collection.

Sand Dollars
    Ok so I figured out what this coaster is. It was the Time Twister. It was there from 87 to 93. It is now the corkscrew at Genting Theme Park. I never new Jolly Roger had a real coaster at their park. They always seemed to have the small carnival style easy to remove types. I guess they were trying to compete with Trimper's Tidal Wave at the time.

Sand Dollars
    Jolly Rogers also had a King Cobra coaster that I think was there for just one year (1987). You can see a picture of it, with a piece of the track of the coaster referenced in the first link in this photo:

You can read a little bit more about both of these coasters and see another picture of them here.