+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by tfunkhouser View Post
    Owning a condo and having a pet come along to vacation with you is okay because the pet is accustomed to the condo and used to the OC area .Basically you have your pet trained. I don't see an issue with this.

But to bring a dog to OC especially during restrictions time (May to Oct) and have them pended up in a non familiar room doesn't make a hill of beans sense.
    And don't tell me you wont be out all day on the beach, shopping, eating, etc, etc because you will be and if your not than wants the point of coming to OC?

Oh and you say they''ll be at a kennel, "what's the difference".. Well you can take your dog a few times to the kennel to get accustomed to it. Majority of kennels take better care of the animals than most owners.
    Yes we do beach. shop. go out..BUT we stop back about every 4 hours..to insure..our little guy is ok,,and take him out...or for a walk.... It is not a hassle at all for us to bring ours....

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by ocmommom View Post
    Yes we do beach. shop. go out..BUT we stop back about every 4 hours..to insure..our little guy is ok,,and take him out...or for a walk.... It is not a hassle at all for us to bring ours....

Of course, you and your pet are accustomed to that routine. I don't see any problems with that, it's the one time vacationers who are out all day and leave fido in a strange room all day.

Sand Dollars
    My Vet would rather have us leave the dogs in an unfamiliar room then a kennel. However, our dogs have been rescue/shelter dogs. All of the dogs that we have/had issues after their stays at a kennel. I've tried 8 different kennels with the same results. The last time we tried to use a kennel, the two dogs refused to budge once they heard all the barking (and yes, every kennel has barking) and I picked the one up to take her in and she snapped at me to get away. We cancelled our trip which was to be going to Ocean City because it was obvious the dogs were heavily affected by the idea of a kennel. That prompted another trip to the Vet and he explained to us that since the dogs had spent a considerable amount to time in a shelter, the kennel sounds and smell and pens were very similar to the shelters they were left in. The sights, sounds and smell made them sense that they were being abandoned again.

Each time we had them at a kennel, we were told the dogs wouldn't eat and would have non-solid bowel movements. Each time we got reports that the would sit in the kennels and would be visibly shaking and would whine and whimper. That behavior carried over to home for 2-4 days after the kennels all the times over 8 different kennels. They acted as if they were beat. Walking up to us with their tails tucked down. The last time the caretakers even put the dogs in the same pen with each other thinking they could cuddle but that didn't help.

We started to book in pet friendly hotels and things were better the next trip. No longer did the dogs not eat and have upset stomaches. There was no more shaking and whimpering. Tails were no longer tucked down. When we came back to the room, they were acting normal just like we were at home. They were in their own crates, not some weird pen (Yes, we even had them set their crates up in the kennel pens the last 4 times but that didn't help). They could see our clothes and belongings in the room the whole time. The thing about a pet friendly hotel that worried me was I was afraid our dogs would catch a scent on the carpet from a past dog's accident and decide to leave a puddle on the carpet as well.
    I solved that fear by buying a truck and travel trailer 5 years ago. Haven't stayed in a hotel/motel since (although this coming weekend will be my first weekend since then) and the dogs and us prefer the camper over any room. I know they definitely behave normally now.

Sand Dollars

pet friendly. hotels etc

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hall View Post
    My Vet would rather have us leave the dogs in an unfamiliar room then a kennel. However, our dogs have been rescue/shelter dogs. All of the dogs that we have/had issues after their stays at a kennel. I've tried 8 different kennels with the same results. The last time we tried to use a kennel, the two dogs refused to budge once they heard all the barking (and yes, every kennel has barking) and I picked the one up to take her in and she snapped at me to get away. We cancelled our trip which was to be going to Ocean City because it was obvious the dogs were heavily affected by the idea of a kennel. That prompted another trip to the Vet and he explained to us that since the dogs had spent a considerable amount to time in a shelter, the kennel sounds and smell and pens were very similar to the shelters they were left in. The sights, sounds and smell made them sense that they were being abandoned again.

Each time we had them at a kennel, we were told the dogs wouldn't eat and would have non-solid bowel movements. Each time we got reports that the would sit in the kennels and would be visibly shaking and would whine and whimper. That behavior carried over to home for 2-4 days after the kennels all the times over 8 different kennels. They acted as if they were beat. Walking up to us with their tails tucked down. The last time the caretakers even put the dogs in the same pen with each other thinking they could cuddle but that didn't help.

We started to book in pet friendly hotels and things were better the next trip. No longer did the dogs not eat and have upset stomaches. There was no more shaking and whimpering. Tails were no longer tucked down. When we came back to the room, they were acting normal just like we were at home. They were in their own crates, not some weird pen (Yes, we even had them set their crates up in the kennel pens the last 4 times but that didn't help). They could see our clothes and belongings in the room the whole time. The thing about a pet friendly hotel that worried me was I was afraid our dogs would catch a scent on the carpet from a past dog's accident and decide to leave a puddle on the carpet as well.
    I solved that fear by buying a truck and travel trailer 5 years ago. Haven't stayed in a hotel/motel since (although this coming weekend will be my first weekend since then) and the dogs and us prefer the camper over any room. I know they definitely behave normally now.
    AWESOME ...this is exactly how i feel..... dogs can sense things...!!! great write up...

Sand Dollars
    Bob Hall, just in case you haven't heard, there is NO trailer parking of any kind allowed in OC now. Only during Cruise In, Bike Week, and Endless Summer Cruising and even then you have to buy a permit that's only good for the days of the show.
    Wasn't sure you'd heard or not.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    Thanks Z,
    Yeah I heard that. I actually stayed up in Millsboro, DE for this weekend. I didn't have any pets with me as it was just me and my nephews. I was scouting some RV parks/campgrounds this weekend in the area.

Sand Dollars

NOT Island Grill

DO NOT TO ISLAND GRILL WITH A DOG

ISLAND GRILL advertises on several sites as dog friendly,

Sorry - this restaurant is not dog friendly. Went for dinner Thursday, 8/31. Informed the host (I believe the owner) that we need a seat outside as we have a dog with us. Our dog is a 55 lb airedale. We waited 20 minutes (not long given we had no resersvation) for a table. When the hostess came out to see us she says she needs to get permission from the manager for the dog. We are confused as we specifically went because they are supposed to be dog friendly. Another hostess came out (supposedly the wife of the owner/host we spoke with whom we informed we have a dog) and stated they only allow dogs at breakfast. She said the original host thought we meant a service dog. (Note: a service dog does not need to be outside and could enter any restaurant).

The hostess said when they are crowded (they were not full) they cannot risk having a dog bite someone (how this would be different at breakfast vs. dinner I have no idea).

Basically - the listing on this site is false. Do not go.

And for those concerned about people bringing their pets on vacation - there is an awesome dog beach just over the bridge in Somers Point. We may a day trip of the beach with the dog, and out to dinner.