+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sand Dollars

Any New Restaurants or Closures?

I haven't been down to OC since December but will be down later in March. Does anyone have word on restaurants that won't reopen this year or any new restaurants being planned for this coming summer? Seems like we've had some great additions over the past two years (OC Brewing Co and Ropewalk to name two). But I haven't heard of much happening recently.

Sand Dollars
    Only thing I can think of now is closures. J/R's on 62nd is closed for good and is up for sale, Blue Ox is also the same. Captain's Pizza on 137th is closed but I'm not sure if it is for good. There are renovations going on inside but they have been halted due to some permit issue. I'm not sure if Captain's is remodeling or if the space is going to a new tenant. In other news, the Royalton Hotel on 11th and Boardwalk has been completely demolished. I'm not sure what is to become of the stores that were also in the building but they are gone as well. I believe it was OC Vape, iPhoxy and Ocean Eleven Pizza & Grill.

Sand Dollars
    Mike,

Is there still a J/Rs around 131st? Or it J/Rs part of Vanishing Ocean City?

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Kds53098 View Post
    Mike,

Is there still a J/Rs around 131st? Or it J/Rs part of Vanishing Ocean City?
    Not sure. There hasn't been any activity on their Facebook page since last October by anyone. Guess it will be Nick's for ribs now.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    Kds,

Sorry to say, the J/R's on 131st closed in 2014. It is now Tokyo Seafood Buffet. Here's an article on the closing...

http://mdcoastdispatch.com/2015/12/2...ack-hubberman/

Sand Dollars
    Thanks for the info.

I hadn't been to J/Rs in ten years, but was just curious.

Sand Dollars
    Weird to think of JR's being closed. For a while, it was THE place to eat when we went to Ocean City. Then we just stopped going...

I did notice the past few years when we went to Ocean City in September the place was pretty deserted (we stayed on 59th for three years and 63rd for two).

I'm looking forward to hearing more about restaurants (new and otherwise). Since we don't go until September, it gives me plenty of time to hear everyone's opinions.

By the way, we loved Ropewalk -- so much so that we went back for lunch one day after having dinner earlier in the week.

Sand Dollars

Thanks for the responses!

The closure of J/R's is a lesson for all of the OC restaurants. You can't do the same thing for 30 years and have the same décor for 30 years and expect people to be excited and keep coming back. I remember waiting for 90 minutes to get a table at J/R's in 1989, but the place just got stale and as new places opened up, we just stopped going. We did get take-out from the 132nd location a few times over the past few years, and every time, they messed up the order. It is almost like they just stopped caring. So, we started going to Nick's instead. I'm sad to see it leave OC, but I'm excited about the progress and a possible new restaurant. I just hope it becomes something better than a Chinese Buffet. I'm not surprised about the Blue Ox. There have been rumors about its closure for at least 4 years. We ate there 3 years ago, and the service was horrible and slow. The food was just OK. We never went back.

I am most upset about the Royalton. Stayed there once during my wife's senior week (she was my girlfriend at the time). It was a dump, but it looked like someone put some money into it about 2-3 years ago. I love some of those old boardwalk buildings, and I wish a developer would refurbish instead of knocking it down. But I know that they can build something new and taller and make a lot more money. Progress is good, but it is sad to see OC lose some of its history.

As for the residents of the first floor of the Royalton, there was a Palm Reader in that building who has been there since I went to senior week in the 1990's. I always wondered how, when so many other businesses opened and closed in OC each year, she was one that continued to faithfully open each year. I never went in there and don't know anyone who has, but someone must go in to keep her in business. I wonder if she will relocate or open a place in whatever new structure is built.

Sand Dollars
    I may not have this exactly right but the Hooters space and and adjoining ice cream place on 123 st were sold to owner of Back Street Grill in Salisbury and is being extensively remodeled. Name to be determined.

Sand Dollars
    The same time I went to J/Rs was the north location during Bike Week in 2006. It was Bike Week Saturday, around 6pm, and the place was pretty empty.

Granted, Bike Week wasn't nearly as big then as it is now, but I remember going to Nick's Ribs during BW 2005, and it was packed.