+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sand Dollars
    I think I will purchase that book. I almost got it last year at the lifesaving museum but I didn't. I bought some of their vintage postcards and forgot about the book, lol. Now that someone is recommending it I will get it. Someone made a great youtube video of the skywheel. They show it in great detail. I wish it was still there to take my kids on.

Sand Dollars
    Brigitte,

I have the Trimper's book and the two volume Images of America books on OC. All are full of great pictures, but I think the Trimper's one might be my favorite in that series because I have so many great memories of going there.

If you're into OC books, the Buck Mann Vanishing Ocean City book is an absolute must own. I have, I think, 18 or so books published on Ocean City, and this one is the best I've seen.

Sand Dollars
    I live just a few miles from Lakemont Park. It does still exist & is doing fairly well. There are 2 wooden roller coasters in it, the Leap-the-Dips, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leap-The-Dips, which is the oldest operating roller coaster & was built at Lakemont Park; and, the Skyliner, ,http://www.coaster-net.com/ride-gallery/207-skyliner/, which was brought to Lakemont Park from Roseland Park in New York in 1986. Check out the map of Lakemont Park from their webiste: http://www.lakemontparkfun.com/parkmaps.html It's not a big, tourist destination type of park, but just a local, family park.

Sand Dollars
    My daugter has been wanting to go to this park for a while now. I think the Leap the Dips is the only existing side friction track coaster. We will have to take a trip there this summer.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by flaggerjohn View Post
    Krislynell:

The ride you are mentioning was called the Toboggan. It was one of my favorites, although in my older years, it hurt a whole lot more on the dips then I remember. Trimpers did away with it because there were only 2 or 3 in running condition in the country so anytime something broke it required a piece to be custom machined and it cost way more than the ride was earning.

There is a working Toboggan at Lakemont Park in Altoona but I don't know how much longer that park will be in existence. If you ever get up that way, it's worth a visit. It's an old time park with what I believe is the nations oldest operating roller coaster and several other historic rides.

Thanks for letting me know that. I live about an hour and a half away from Altoona. It will definitely be a day trip this summer!

Sand Dollars
    Loved the Toboggan as a kid. I remember going straight up through the tube and seeing our shoelaces hanging straight down. I also remember riding it when I was a bit older (late teens, early twenties maybe) and having a tough time fitting into the cars and feeling the bumps quite a bit. Fun ride--wish they would have kept it.

Sand Dollars
    I agree, Montegoman. I do miss the Toboggan and wish it was still there. It was one of my favorite rides growing up. I'd probably still be riding it now, if it were still around.

Sand Dollars
    Boy, I haven't been to Lakemont Park in a long time. We go to Del Grosso's a lot, and they built a HUGE water park and wave pool there that opens this summer. Leap The Dips is a great coaster. We were on it one time with the kids and the operator wouldn't let us off! He just kept it going over and over and over. The kids loved it I was about half sick to my stomach till I got off. But it was fun. Krislynell, take a ride to Tipton too and visit Del Grosso Park. It's free to walk around, and the rides are reasonable. We actually met Mrs Del Grosso last year and she treated us to a tour of the kitchens inside the park. They make all their own sauces right there for the pastas, and all of the food is delicious. They have some good rides for all ages, but that water park is going to be something!
    Ask an OC Insider