+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sand Dollars

Trimpers Sky Wheel

The first time I went to Ocean City MD was in 1983. For some reason I remember seeing a double ferris wheel at Jolly Rogers on 30th street because my family went there for go-carting. Was there also a double ferris wheel there also? I am hoping someone can remember back that far. I cannot find any old pics of Jolly Roger on the internet.

Sand Dollars
    There was definitely a double Ferris Wheel (The Sky Wheel) at Trimper's in this era. It was in their back lot after the Tidal Wave was built (about 1985) but may have been in the lot at the south end of the property before that. Forum member NotImpressed indicats Trimper's purchased the ride from Glen Echo Park (in Maryland, near DC) in the early 1980s. Note that in that era there were some go cart attractions near the south end of town, and some of the lots near Trimper's were unpaved. You can see the Trimper Sky Wheel here: http://www.trimpersrides.com/images/...history_01.jpg

I do not believe Jolly Rogers had a Sky Wheel or other double wheel Ferris-type wheel. If you can post your picture somewhere I can take a look at it and see if based on the background I can tell where it is.

Sand Dollars

trimpers skywheel

ocean.jpg

I had some trouble uploading this pic so it is a little blurry. Looking to the left of the ferris wheel there seems to be a rolo-plane ride. And looking behind the building there seems to be a track with flags all around it. There is a lack of information on both of the parks around the early eighties. I hope this pic can help in some way. I was pretty sure it was from Jolly Roger on 30th. Notice the hill also.
    Last edited by brigitte; 03-02-2016 at 09:25 AM.

Sand Dollars
    Every time we go to Trimpers with our kids now, I think about what it was like back when I was a kid (1980s) and I always think about that double ferris wheel! It was yellow and green and sat between the Tidal Wave and the building. I think it was beside the scrambler. I never got on it, always was too scared. Lol. But now I wish I would have.

On another note, I miss the ride that sat at along the fence/street. The one that you sat in little cage cars, rode straight up vertical and came down a roller coaster type track. That was fun. Oh and I miss when Aladin's walk thru was longer. I think they cut it in 3's, removed a section and pushed it together a few years ago.

Ah memories. Lol.

Sand Dollars

Where were you?

brigitte,
    This was an interesting challenge, but I finally figured out exactly where this photo was taken. It took some investigating, but it is definitely Jolly Rogers park at 30th Street. Based on the shadows, the camera is aimed south, and it is about noon.

The location where you were standing is circled in the image below:

This image is from the early 1980s. You can see the go kart track, lake (looks black), and parking areas. The zig-zag area below the lake is a mini golf course. To the left top of the lake is a golf driving range.

You can see a full size version of this image here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kschwa...02203/sizes/o/

So how am I sure this is the right spot? Look at the full sized image and you can see the same shed, same change of color in the parking area, and similar vegetation in front of the shed. However, I was not really sure it was the same place. If you look behind the left side of the shed in your photo, you see some light poles and upside-down vees on the top of the building behind it. I suspected these were the driving range lighting buildings to the left of the lake in the photo. I found an image of Jolly Rogers from 1964 (see it here: http://www.trbimg.com/img-539f484e/t...2048/2048x1620 ) that shows the driving range building in its original location, and it is clear the inverted-vees are there (you can sort of see them in the 1980 image too).

Anyway, mystery of location solved. I did not find anything talking about a Skywheel or similar wheel at Jolly Rogers. According to ochh.net, Trimper's got the Skywheel from Glen Echo park in the early 1980s. Perhaps Jolly Rogers bought it first and then sold it to Trimper's.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by OCGuy; 03-13-2016 at 11:48 AM.

Sand Dollars
    Thank you so much. I tried to much to figure this out too. I vacation every year now with my family at Ocean City. But when I was a kid I only went that one time so I tried to remember everything that I could. I didn't get to ride that double ferris wheel when I was there but we were in the area because my cousins wanted to ride the go-carts. That is what threw me off now because I knew that Trimper's didn't have go-carts. Well mystery solved thanks to you!

Sand Dollars
    Krislynell:

The ride you are mentioning was called the Toboggan. It was one of my favorites, although in my older years, it hurt a whole lot more on the dips then I remember. Trimpers did away with it because there were only 2 or 3 in running condition in the country so anytime something broke it required a piece to be custom machined and it cost way more than the ride was earning.

There is a working Toboggan at Lakemont Park in Altoona but I don't know how much longer that park will be in existence. If you ever get up that way, it's worth a visit. It's an old time park with what I believe is the nations oldest operating roller coaster and several other historic rides.

Sand Dollars
    Trimper's has a great Himalya ride(music express) also. It is hard to find one that goes forward and backward like theirs does. I think that they give you really long rides on everything also. It is a great park. Although I cannot complain about Jolly Roger's either.

Sand Dollars
    Brigitte,

I used to love the Sky Wheel at Trimper's. You used to be able to get a great view of the beach and Boardwalk from the top.

If you're a fan of Trimper's, you should check out this book. It's full of pictures from the early 1900s to the present. It's also available at the Life Saving Station at the end of the Boardwalk.

http://www.amazon.com/Trimpers-Image...mper%27s+rides

Sand Dollars
    Lets not forget the (mouse trap),I think it sat where the tidal wave is now.Trimpers did have go carts,they were on a small wooden track,with a roof.
    Last edited by kdog2; 03-03-2016 at 09:48 AM.