+ Reply to Thread
    Sand Dollars

Captain's Galley name change

Sand Dollars
    One thing I found odd is that the owner mentioned not being able to see TVs in the upstairs dining room. Since it's a little more casual, I think it would be nice to be able to watch the Orioles game while having crabs and beer in the summertime.

Sand Dollars
    I have mixed feelings about a name change since the former was well respected. Anyway, the Captains Galley sign on the water side, which is the most visible, is still there.

Sand Dollars
    I don't like the name. It makes it sound like a business rather than a restaurant. Bad choice in my book.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    I agree Z,

I thought the name Captain's Galley really fit.

Quite frankly, I don't see why anyone would buy a successful restaurant, and take the risk of rebranding it. The more I think about the new name, the more generic it sounds.

One point of advice for the new owner...don't change the food. He mentioned the crab cakes will remain the same, but that's all he mentioned.

Sand Dollars
    Part of the sales contract might have required that the name be changed within a certain timeframe. The old owner may have wanted the "Captains Galley" name to use some time in the future, or just didn't want it to used by someone else. I do agree that the new name is a bit bland. Sounds more like a fish market/store than a real restaurant.

Sand Dollars
    I have no problem with the name, sounds fine to me.

I'm guessing the new owner wants to make a name for himself and not rely on the old name.

Change is good sometimes.Besides if the food is good people will come.

Sand Dollars
    My wife and I were down for the Presidents' Day Weekend.

We decided to check out the new place. We popped upstairs for a drink on Saturday night, and were pleasantly surprised to get $1.50 drafts. The upstairs bar area seemed a little more open than before.

This past weekend must have been a soft opening, as the servers were still wearing Captains Galley shirts, and the Facebook page has yet to be updated.

We were going to stop by to check out lunch on Sunday afternoon, but we overheard that somebody was waiting an hour and forty minutes for wings. We'll wait until spring or summer when the kinks get worked out.

But, I like the look of the upstairs area.

Sand Dollars
    Got a Facebook notification last night that Captain's Galley's page is now Ocean City Fish Company.