+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    hdff
    Sand Dollars

Night Childcare / Babysitting Service

Looking to get away a night or two for parents only dinner while in OC. Does anyone know of available child care / baby sitting services, or how to go about finding someone of good reputation in the area?

Thank you!

evildiva
    Sand Dollars
    We always take a sitter on vacation with us, this works out well. Maybe this is a possibility???

moonstars
    Sand Dollars

babysitting.

I know some hotels offer babysitting.Ours does,but being I don't have children I have never inquired about it.But I do have an ocean city book here that I've been looking at here's a # that it gives;It's called Dial a Nanny,410-641-2977.That's all the info.it has on it.Good luck and have a great time.

emilysmom04
    Sand Dollars

Babysitting/Nanny?

Who would want to leave their child with someone they hardly know now thats not using your head - i would never leave my child with anyone i didnt know thats horrible! i know you want some time alone with your significant other but please bring someone along like a relative or such .. you do not know what people will do in this day and time! Kidnapping is very prevalant in every state - think about it first before deciding to do that - PLEASE

hdff
    Sand Dollars

to emilysmom04

Thank you???? for your reply. However, my question had to do with available babysitting resources in Ocean City, and not whether or not you think it is a good idea to leave my child with a babysitter.

I will check (and have checked) any sitting services before using them. I look for background checks, licensing requirements, FBI/State police fingerprinting, CPR certification, length of employment, etc. (For anyone who is interested, I called Dial a Nanny and they have been in business for 16 years, perform background checks and state fingerprinting on all of their employees, and many sitters have been with the company for years).

These requirements are no different than I would expect from workers at a daycare center, child care at my fitness club, or a kids club at a vacation resort. All of which I would be comfortable leaving my child in the care of without "knowing" the person.

I know that this is not the intent of this forum, however since Emilysmom04 brought up the subject, lets look at facts rather than unfounded beliefs and/or emotions.

.................................................. ....................................
    "According to the United States Department of Justice, Office of Juvenile Justice Delinquency Prevention, Juvenile Justice Bulletin, June 2000

Kidnapping makes up less than 2 percent of all violent crimes against juveniles reported to police.

Based on the identity of the perpetrator, there are three distinct types of kidnapping: kidnapping by a relative of the victim or "family kidnapping" (49 percent), kidnapping by an acquaintance of the victim or "acquaintance kidnapping" (27 percent), and kidnapping by a stranger to the victim or "stranger kidnapping" (24 percent)."
    .................................................. ..........................................

It seems that children are nearly 3 times more likely to be kidnapped by a relative or family aquaintance than by a complete stranger.

Sadly, children are kidnapped by a family member twice as often than by an aqaintance or a stranger.

Emilysmom04, please do not judge me, nor the way I choose to raise my children. Please be assured that I do not care how you raise yours...no matter how "horrible" it may seem to me.

evildiva
    Sand Dollars
    I dont think there is anything wrong with hiring a sitter the way you want too. I was not aware that they offered these services in OC, We always take a family member who is a teenager with us but I know some people may not be able to do that do to space, money, maybe you dont have anyone you could take. People are always so quick to judge others, ignore it and go on your vacation and enjoy yourselves!!!

emilysmom04
    Sand Dollars

Sitter?

i didnt mean to bring up any bad vibes on the sitter ? i was just being very cautious about letting someone i didnt know at the beach care for my child while i wanted some time alone for myself or with my significant other - i meant that if you were just doing it on the spur of the moment and dialed Dial a Nanny to watch your child i wouldnt think that was a good idea since you didnt get qualifications or such - but everyone is different - sorry didnt mean to say the wrong thing - i like this site and dont want to get on any ones bad side - Hope everyone has a great rest of the summer!!

emilysmom04
    Sand Dollars

sorry to be nasty

Quote Originally Posted by evildiva
    I dont think there is anything wrong with hiring a sitter the way you want too. I was not aware that they offered these services in OC, We always take a family member who is a teenager with us but I know some people may not be able to do that do to space, money, maybe you dont have anyone you could take. People are always so quick to judge others, ignore it and go on your vacation and enjoy yourselves!!!
    i am sorry i didnt mean to come across as nasty EVILDIVA - i wasnt being quick to judge i just thought that Dial A Nanny wasnt such a good idea if u were to do that on a spur of the moment thing - but i would definitely take a family memeber with me but i guess if people wanted to do that Dial A Nanny and did it ahead of time it wouldnt be too bad - do you have kids? Not being nasty just asking??

My opinion is my opinion not tryin to be a ***** just stating what i thought - thought that was what this site was for sometimes to get others opinions???? You all have a great summer and just enjoy your time!

OC4Life
    Sand Dollars
    Emilysmom04,

I did not get the feeling from any of your posts that you were attacking this person or judging them in any way. Your posts read to me like a concerned parent suggesting that a safer thing to do is bring a sitter from home. I think perhaps the original poster and the others who responded are just a little too sensitive. I thought you were just expressing concern for what you felt might not be a good situation.

Personnaly, I agree with you. I would not choose to leave my child with someone I did not know. I do not care how many background checks, finger print checks, drug screens, DNA matching or other testing they go through. But I respect and defend this persons right to do whatever they feel comfortable with. Just as I assume she respects my right to my opinion.

A day care center is a much different story. One has the opportunity to check it out for a period of time before actually deciding to place their child. You can drop in unannounced and observe and check references personally by actually meeting others who have placed their children at the day care. These are some things not easily done when hiring a sitter for "adult time" while on vacation. Who would want to spend their time at the beach interviewing potential sitters???????

But, as I said, it is this persons decision. I am just voicing my opinion.

Sand Dollars

Cool OCMD babysitter available 24/7

Hi, I just wanted to respond to your post with regards to babysitting resources in OCEAN CITY, MD.
    I raised 2 sons. and a daughter mostly as a single mother and certainly understand the need for actually having vacation time! I live in OCMD year round and have for the last almost 3 yrs now.
    I am going to try out babysitting for vacationers and or locals this season and see how it goes...I am more then capable to babysit any age and even have experience with special needs (worked in the area for MAPS).
    Let me know if you or any of your friends or family need my services any day /evening or weekend etc. I can probably even do a last minute situation if I am not already babysitting for someone else.
    Please read my profile for a little more detail about myself.
    You can email me directly on this site!
    Good luck!,
    Stacy