+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator
    Sand Dollars

Tell me exactly where to go

Hi. My name is Tony Russo and I'm the new editor of OceanCity.com. I hope to do a lot of interacting with you folks over the next few months. I'm not new to the area, I covered Berlin for nearly a decade, but I'm committed to exploring Ocean City in even greater depth. I was considering doing a happy hour photo blog. I thought it would be fun if you guys picked a bar you miss, or are interested in, or curious about and I went out and got photos and talked to people there.
    I'd like to do this on Thursday evenings. If you have any other suggestions, questions or stories you would like to share or to have me write, please reach out either here or through the website email.
    So please keep in touch. I'll do the same.

Keep the Faith!
    TR

Sand Dollars
    Tony, Welcome!

Lots of places are closed for the season.

Start at OC's oldest bar, The Harbor Inn, AKA The Bloody Bucket. It is about the least touristy place there could be, but it is interesting to be sure (It's reputation is worse than it's bite - I've been there lots of times)

Then try Buxy's, Pit-n-Pub, Green Turtle, and Crabcake Factory (on football days). Then move to the places along the West OC Commercial Harbor, Specifically, Harborside, Captain's Galley (upstairs), The Shark, and Sunset Grill. Save the bayside places (Seacrets, Mackey's Fish Tales) and Frog Bar until next Spring wen they all reopen. At some point, throw in OC Brewing.
    Last edited by OCGuy; 10-28-2015 at 10:35 AM.

Sand Dollars
    I would add Crab Alley to your visit to West OC.

As far as Boardwalk bars go, there's also the standards over on Wicomico - The Cork Bar and The Bearded Clam. You have Mug and Mallet, which also has a nice happy hour. For Boardwalk craft beer, there's Backshore Brewing.

On overlooked bar I really like (which is closed until April) is The Inlet Bar (right across from the Life Saving Station Museum).

Administrator
    Sand Dollars
    Thanks, folks! I was going to take a poll on the OceanCity.Com Facebook page every week to decide. The idea is to take photos in bars that people out of town might be missing. Maybe this week I'll start with "The Harbor Inn" versus "The Cork Bar" does that sound cool?

Sand Dollars
    Sounds fun.

You'll have to wait until spring for this one, but Marina Deck is right near the Harbor Inn. It's right on the bay, but somehow gets overlooked. I've been at Marina Deck many nights with a half full bar, just to look over and see a packed house at MR Ducks.

But, I think the second floor deck they put in is serving Marina Deck well.

Sand Dollars
    Mr. Russo,
    You could also consider bars/restaurants in different areas of the town or even outside of Ocean City. For example when I stay down by the inlet for a quick weekend I like to hit the my regular stops like the Frog Bar, Fish Tales or Harborside. But when I vacation for a week (stay at the northern end) we hit Bull on the Beach, Green Turtle or Dead Freddies.

Places outside of OC that may interest you could be Ropewalk Oyster bar in Fenwick, Crabby Dicks in Rehobeth or the Rusty Rudder in Dewey Beach to name a few.
    Just a thought.

Administrator
    Sand Dollars

Sorry for the delay

Thanks for the suggestions. I already hit a couple, I'll keep working through the rest. I'm a team player after all...

Administrator
    Sand Dollars

All great suggestions, Thanks!

I think the Frog Bar is changing owners, for what that's worth. I'll keep posting stories on Tuesdays, keep an eye out for your favorites.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Russo View Post
    I think the Frog Bar is changing owners, for what that's worth. I'll keep posting stories on Tuesdays, keep an eye out for your favorites.
    Again?

I'm hoping they don't change much. When they changed from OC Frogs to The Frog Bar a few years ago, the bar was basically the same give or take a few items from the food menu.

Maybe the new owners will discourage smoking in their outdoor section. **Fingers crossed**

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Russo View Post
    I haven't seen or read any information on this, you have a source?