+ Reply to Thread
    Sand Dollars

Any shark visiting issues in OC

I know that sharks seldom visit the shore but OC is located in a place where there might be sharks. Have you heard about any stray shark in OC that caused fear to some visitors? I have read some news about sharks seen along the shore in OC. How often it happens?

Sand Dollars
    Yes, there are sharks in the water. Several people were bitten over the summer. It's the ocean. There are sharks.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    Yes, there are sharks in the waters off Ocean City, but most of these sharks are less than18" long and very few are big enough to be of any notable threat. A larger Hammerhead was spotted several times in the area early this summer, but caused no harm to anyone. I am pretty knowledgeable of OC's history, and I know of no notable documented shark attacks on the beaches of OC over the past 140 years. In fact, I do not believe there has ever been a notable shark attack on any DE, MD, or VA Atlantic beaches between the Delaware and Chesapeake Bays.

There were several notable publicized attacks in the Carolinas this summer. I have found that often, but not always, such attacks occur in areas where people are fishing or chumming the water, attracting sharks to the more shallow waters where swimmers are. Restrictions on fishing in OC prevent such issues.

I would not worry at all about any threat of sharks in OC's waters. The biggest danger in OC is actually to pedestrians who fail to cross Coastal Highway in marked crosswalks when they have the signal to do so.
    Last edited by OCGuy; 10-05-2015 at 11:42 AM.

Sand Dollars
    Janelle, your biggest threat in the the water off of Ocean City is the Kraken. He stands about 75 feet tall and normally hangs out just past the sand bar. He loves to digest trolls.
    Last edited by flaggerjohn; 10-01-2015 at 08:56 PM.

Sand Dollars
    As I see it, the biggest shark visiting issues in Ocean City are that you should always have reservations if you want to go on a Saturday night, and it's a little loud during happy hour.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by flaggerjohn View Post
    Janelle, your biggest threat in the the water off of Ocean City is the Kraken. He stands about 75 feet tall and normally hangs out just past the sand bar. He loves to digest trolls.

LOL! Nailed it!
    Ask an OC Insider