Sign Up|Sign In|Contact|Advertise

Thread: H2Oi Car event

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 92
  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    118
    Sand Dollars
    1,474
    Quote Originally Posted by terp84alum View Post
    If they didn't have these events in the fall, no one would be there. OC needs the money. The handful of people that get pissed off are exponentially outnumbered by the event participants.

    I go to bike week every year and my hearing is fine.
    That is fine and dandy. My point is why the double standard? (this is a rhetorical question which I don't expect to be answered)

    Why do the bikers and cruisers get to get away with all sorts of behavior where the H2Oi crowd (by H2O crowd I don't necessarily mean the actual show participants but the people in town that week) is harassed? If you are going to break out a measuring stick to measure ride height and impound vehicles during H2O, why don't you go after the bikes that are much louder than the state legal limit? (86dba at 50 feet is the state limit....86dba is not that loud for me, so I know that many of these bikes were way over) Why do the cruisers get to perform burnouts at lights and ride non street legal cars? Every year I see the same C3 red Corvette with a wheelie bar, parachute and slicks. This is obviously a track only car. No plates of course since this car is not street legal. I've seen this guy the last 3 years in a row. One year I saw a cop pull behind him and did nothing.

    Bike week is just another weekend that I endure. Far more annoying than any other weekend, but I get it. I just avoid Coastal hwy as much as I can.

    I just think that the OCPD needs to stop harassing a particular demographic. Treat everyone the same. Either enforce the rules with everyone or don't.

    Personally, I really only care about safety. Get the people that are speeding/running red lights and/or performing burnouts. While I think that the bike exhausts that are ear piercingly loud are absolutely stupid and illegal I'd let them slide. I'd also let the ride height issue slide too. Who cares as long as they aren't driving dangerously. The guy with the Corvette with the slicks. I'd nail him. He most likely doesn't have insurance since the car doesn't have plates. So there is a big thorny issue of liability of he gets into an accident. Also slicks in OC is absolutely insane. We know what happens when we get 2 drops of rain in OC. Having slicks is a recipe for disaster.

  2. #22
    Senior Member Z06RL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,220
    Sand Dollars
    7,517
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra617 View Post

    I just think that the OCPD needs to stop harassing a particular demographic. Treat everyone the same. Either enforce the rules with everyone or don't.

    .

    That's right. Enforce the rules. Fine all of those people who walk their dogs on the beach and the boardwalk between May 1 and October 1 and get them off the boards and sand.

    And enforce the smoking ban as well. And don't forget the buskers on the boards and the kids on the bikes and skateboards riding when they shouldn't be.

    In other words............the police have their hands FULL!
    Last edited by Z06RL; 09-22-2015 at 01:04 AM.
    Ask an OC Insider

  3. #23
    Senior Member terp84alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,050
    Sand Dollars
    6,671
    Cobra, I think you need to venture out on to Coastal Highway on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights during bike week. You'll see plenty of enforcement. I thought this year the amount of police presence was higher than previous years. I never knew OC had that many police vehicles. I'm sure there are groups of motorcyclists moaning about similar things you are. It comes with the territory. Bike was better when it was at the racetrack.
    Ken

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    103
    Sand Dollars
    963
    I believe we were in the 20-22 Street area. The day after the big storm hit, we ventured out and by then the other storm of drivers had arrived. We did not realize what was happening, but after making a few trips to the inlet area to enjoy the splendid view and usual calm, the cars were there in force racing along that road into the parking lot. Later that day and into the evening, they had taken over the parking garage behind the condo we were in, the cars were so loud and the drivers were racing around the levels, too much for us I'm afraid. We also were concerned about the garage our cars were in attached to the condo if they started moving through it too. The noise and the pushing the limits were awful and since it was where we were and trying to enjoy ourselves, we thought it's better at home, so we checked out. While I am certain there are drivers of these cars who do not do this, we just found too many who did. Even leaving Ocean City, the roads were filled with all this chaos too. I suspect the more quiet establishments we frequent did not get business from the majority of these drivers and their companions.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    118
    Sand Dollars
    1,474
    Quote Originally Posted by terp84alum View Post
    Cobra, I think you need to venture out on to Coastal Highway on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights during bike week. You'll see plenty of enforcement. I thought this year the amount of police presence was higher than previous years. I never knew OC had that many police vehicles. I'm sure there are groups of motorcyclists moaning about similar things you are. It comes with the territory. Bike was better when it was at the racetrack.
    I was on Friday and Saturday. Only I stick to North OC. So from about 120 st to Fenwick. I saw zero police presence. Again, from my standpoint about safety being first and foremost, bike week is not that big of a worry for me. I can't stand the noise, but if they aren't violating traffic laws (except for exceeding the allowable noise level) I can live with that.
    From my experience, Cruisin, is the most dangerous weekend.

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    118
    Sand Dollars
    1,474
    Quote Originally Posted by Z06RL View Post
    That's right. Enforce the rules. Fine all of those people who walk their dogs on the beach and the boardwalk between May 1 and October 1 and get them off the boards and sand.

    And enforce the smoking ban as well. And don't forget the buskers on the boards and the kids on the bikes and skateboards riding when they shouldn't be.

    In other words............the police have their hands FULL!

    How do you equate dogs and bikes on the boardwalk, to what happens during Cruisin or another car weekend? Eventually, someone will get killed when some idiot loses control of their car during a burnout and plows into a crowd. And I don't buy into the OCPD having their hands full during the day (evenings can be a different story). Sorry, I just don't and I am there all the time. I don't see any of the things you listed as being enforced. During Cruisin, I actually do see a lot of cops out. They are just not typically doing anything as far as I can tell to enforce any traffic laws. It is like they are spectators.

    Again, I look back on my personal experience of getting pulled over during Cruisin weekend for a headlight being out while idiots are performing burnouts and speeding RIGHT NEXT TO US. The cops (there were 2) took over 20 mins to get me on my way with a repair order from the time they pulled me over. If they were truly that busy, why would they bother with me? They were just taking their jolly old time with me. I wasn't upset at all about the repair order, I was upset that instead of stopping this behavior of some of the Cruisers, (There were 2 burnouts while I was pulled over) they were "busy" for 20 mins with me and my headlight. I obviously don't have proof, but I wholeheartedly believe that I was targeted because they thought I was a kid driving a "souped" up Japanese car. There were cars acting like idiots left and right and they chose to pull me over for a headlight being out at 3pm?

    I believe that OCPD is engaged in this mistaken policy of harassing the younger crowd in the hopes of dissuading them from coming back. When instead, they just fan the flames. They seem to be hands off of the Cruisers and the bikers because of the thought that they are favorable to the local economy.
    Last edited by Cobra617; 09-22-2015 at 09:45 AM.

  7. #27
    Senior Member Z06RL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,220
    Sand Dollars
    7,517
    Don't forget though that during these events, a lot of the police presence are either new cops, or cops borrowed from other districts. They get their instructions on what to look for at a 10 minute briefing, so if they pull you over for a headlight or your car is too low or whatever,I'm guessing that they're doing it because they think that's what they're supposed to do. Our buddy got a ticket for not having a front plate even though he's from Pennsylvania! He fought it and won, but it happened. I wouldn't want to be a police officer in OC during any of the car events. And I agree, someone is going to get hurt or worse eventually. I nearly got run over one year when a car jumped the curb to avoid rear ending the car in front. And the outcry will be even worse if it's a bystander who is hurt or a local just trying to get home from work.
    But I still would say that the worst offenders are the ones who aren't part of the shows, but the ones who just show up to show off. At least they banned the kids from riding in the beds of trucks. Now if they could just do something about the guys in the monster diesel trucks who love to blow that black smoke.
    Ask an OC Insider

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    118
    Sand Dollars
    1,474
    Quote Originally Posted by Z06RL View Post
    At least they banned the kids from riding in the beds of trucks.
    Wow, I thought that this was illegal for years. I would see it in OC all the time, but now that I think about it I haven't seen it recently.
    Last edited by Cobra617; 09-22-2015 at 10:19 AM.

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    118
    Sand Dollars
    1,474
    Funny story I want to add......
    I've mentioned this before, but Delaware seems to be very loose with helmets and motorcycles. I see lots of motorcyclists in DE that do not have helmets.

    So....I was at Jimmy's kitchen in Fenwick this last weekend waiting outside to get seated. (Best breakfast around BTW).
    So a biker walks out of the restaurant and sees someone he knows but hasn't seen in a while. They start talking to catch up. The guy that walked out is talking about how he only now drinks water because it is the healthiest thing to do. He also talks about dietary changes he has made including cutting way back on red meat. After a little while they part ways. The guy gets on his motorcycle, does not have a helmet on and drives off. I could only shake my head. The guy was so much into being health conscious and then he gets on a bike without a helmet. I had a good laugh over this.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    965
    Sand Dollars
    4,090
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra617 View Post
    That is fine and dandy. My point is why the double standard? (this is a rhetorical question which I don't expect to be answered)

    Why do the bikers and cruisers get to get away with all sorts of behavior where the H2Oi crowd (by H2O crowd I don't necessarily mean the actual show participants but the people in town that week) is harassed? If you are going to break out a measuring stick to measure ride height and impound vehicles during H2O, why don't you go after the bikes that are much louder than the state legal limit? (86dba at 50 feet is the state limit....86dba is not that loud for me, so I know that many of these bikes were way over) Why do the cruisers get to perform burnouts at lights and ride non street legal cars? Every year I see the same C3 red Corvette with a wheelie bar, parachute and slicks. This is obviously a track only car. No plates of course since this car is not street legal. I've seen this guy the last 3 years in a row. One year I saw a cop pull behind him and did nothing.

    Bike week is just another weekend that I endure. Far more annoying than any other weekend, but I get it. I just avoid Coastal hwy as much as I can.

    I just think that the OCPD needs to stop harassing a particular demographic. Treat everyone the same. Either enforce the rules with everyone or don't.

    Personally, I really only care about safety. Get the people that are speeding/running red lights and/or performing burnouts. While I think that the bike exhausts that are ear piercingly loud are absolutely stupid and illegal I'd let them slide. I'd also let the ride height issue slide too. Who cares as long as they aren't driving dangerously. The guy with the Corvette with the slicks. I'd nail him. He most likely doesn't have insurance since the car doesn't have plates. So there is a big thorny issue of liability of he gets into an accident. Also slicks in OC is absolutely insane. We know what happens when we get 2 drops of rain in OC. Having slicks is a recipe for disaster.
    I was in Ocean City for Bike Week every year from 2005 - 2013, and I never really saw any issues. Granted, I can see how the noise can be irritating.

    But, I never saw a single fight. I never saw a bike driving recklessly on local streets. I never saw anybody having illegal drinking parties in a parking lot.

    I even noticed, as Ocean City embraced Bike Week, I saw much fewer burnouts.

    So, basically, I never saw anything that approached the issues that H20i and Cruisin have had. Maybe things have changed. Like I said, I haven't been since 2013.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Ocean City Maryland Hotels and Info for the Perfect OC Vacation | OceanCity.com
Get SocialGet Social
Facebook Twitter Flickr Pinterest