Thread: H2Oi Car event

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Sand Dollars
    Well said, frankenstein! & Corba617, & very well written! Someone connected to each of those events should make sure that all OC councilmen/women, the mayor & Chief of Police receive a copy of those posts. I think that big problem with both events is the wannabees. And, short of simply not having the events there really isn't a good solution. There is just no way for the police to sort out the real event attendees & those who just came to act like event attendees & cause trouble. It would be nice if there was a way to turn the bad guys away at the Rt. 50 bridge.

Sand Dollars
    EllAnn, the city has NOTHING to do with this event so all of the letters in the world won't make any difference. This event is not sanctioned or put on by Ocean City. It is a private party who hosts the actual event outside of Ocean City. But the participants and the wannabe's stay in OC, and drive their cars in OC, and cause a whole lot of problems for the town. And that being said, the police have every right to stop them when they're acting irresponsibly or in ways that violate the town's laws.
    This year, I think the participants, etc. are going to find a big difference from last year. The police are ready for them. There are new rules in place pertaining to gatherings in public places and places where businesses have stated that the cars aren't welcome. But the event organizer has asked publicly and on all of the forums and FB pages that pertain to this event for everyone to behave responsibly, and to obey the laws, and to be respectful of the town and police. He himself is saddened to see what the weekend has become. Because the show itself is good! Nice people. It's the one's who don't attend the show but just drive down for the weekend to raise hell.
    It's going to be interesting to say the least. But I for one will be far away.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Z06RL View Post
    EllAnn, the city has NOTHING to do with this event so all of the letters in the world won't make any difference. This event is not sanctioned or put on by Ocean City. It is a private party who hosts the actual event outside of Ocean City. But the participants and the wannabe's stay in OC, and drive their cars in OC, and cause a whole lot of problems for the town. And that being said, the police have every right to stop them when they're acting irresponsibly or in ways that violate the town's laws.
    This year, I think the participants, etc. are going to find a big difference from last year. The police are ready for them. There are new rules in place pertaining to gatherings in public places and places where businesses have stated that the cars aren't welcome. But the event organizer has asked publicly and on all of the forums and FB pages that pertain to this event for everyone to behave responsibly, and to obey the laws, and to be respectful of the town and police. He himself is saddened to see what the weekend has become. Because the show itself is good! Nice people. It's the one's who don't attend the show but just drive down for the weekend to raise hell.
    It's going to be interesting to say the least. But I for one will be far away.
    Hopefully, the OCPD will stop the reckless drivers. I don't care about those cars that are lowered to crazy levels. Those are the "low and slow" crowd. If anything they drive too slow. They are the ones that got picked on for ride height violations by the the OCPD last year. Meanwhile, we had the fast and the furious flying around my neck of the woods. (North OC). I didn't see a single car get pulled over for driving like a lunatic.
    I look forward to that weekend as it gives me a reason to bring my car down. (Usually we drive an SUV down). I look forward to cruising on Saturday night.
    There was, what I thought to be a great idea floating around. Give these kids a legitimate place to park and show off their cars. (Convention center maybe) Charge a nominal admission fee. That way tensions are lowered. Instead of chasing them away from various parking lots, they can have somewhere to go where they won't be harassed. Kind of what skate parks are meant to do. (Give kids a place to skate where they won't be harassed) Does my generation not remember what it was like to be a teen?

Sand Dollars
    I want to add one more thing. While I am not an OC local, I am as close as you can get. We are there Friday/Saturday/Sunday of every week as well as a couple of 2 week stays. (Except Jan/Feb where we only go down twice a month) So my family and I are there, about 40% of the year.

From my experience, from a safety perspective, Cruisin weekend is far worse than any other show. Bike week is the biggest nuisance. H2O had issues with speeding cars, but IMO Cruisin was worse. Now I am in North OC so I didn't get to witness the fiasco on 45th st of H2O weekend last year.

Sand Dollars
    Cobra,

I have to agree with you on the nuisance of the bikers. Some of those bikes are so loud, they could nearly bust an eardrum. I know the town has a noise ordinance in place, so why are bikes excluded? Most of them are way louder than any stereo blaring from another balcony, that I've heard. And driving on the road with them... A good portion of them are self-righteous, entitled, a**hole riders that pay little respect to any other drivers EXCEPT other bikers. You have the crotch-rockets zig-zagging between vehicles at 80MPH and then you have the old hogs going 15MPH under the speed limit in the far-left lane, just looking all around at everything. And what is the point of sitting at a red light, revving your engine 18 times?? Let's just add to the noise pollution. I'm glad they give the town a boost on business past Labor Day but I am not sorry to see them go.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by OCMike View Post
    Cobra,

I have to agree with you on the nuisance of the bikers. Some of those bikes are so loud, they could nearly bust an eardrum. I know the town has a noise ordinance in place, so why are bikes excluded? Most of them are way louder than any stereo blaring from another balcony, that I've heard. And driving on the road with them... A good portion of them are self-righteous, entitled, a**hole riders that pay little respect to any other drivers EXCEPT other bikers. You have the crotch-rockets zig-zagging between vehicles at 80MPH and then you have the old hogs going 15MPH under the speed limit in the far-left lane, just looking all around at everything. And what is the point of sitting at a red light, revving your engine 18 times?? Let's just add to the noise pollution. I'm glad they give the town a boost on business past Labor Day but I am not sorry to see them go.
    Amen to that. It seems almost like heresy on here to say anything bad about the bikers or the Cruisers. Many are ok. But the unbelievable amounts of noise that many of those bikes put out is crazy. Like I mentioned, I have a decent amount of hearing loss (probably because I was a DJ back in HS/College) and my ears hurt when we were on Coastal. My poor kids had their hands over their ears as we waited for the light to cross Coastal....BTW....the water was fantastic on Saturday.

We had a A-hole weekend renter in the house next to ours. He found it fun to start his bike, and rev it for 5-10 minutes. Our windows were literally shaking.....oh and he did this at 3am and he had to rev up again at 5am when he got back. He woke the whole house up.(myself, the wife and kids). Well, one of my hobbies is A/V (so, I have very nice audio systems). So I got a little payback at 7am when my kids woke up for the day. Let's just say my subwoofer got a heck of a workout. I hate to sound petty, but in this case I didn't feel bad about what I did. (He woke us up twice, I got him once)

Sand Dollars
    If I lived in OC and Bike Week upset me, I'd leave for the weekend and stop complaining. It's the highest grossing event OC hosts every year. Locals should be thankful.
    Ken

Sand Dollars
    Z06RL, I know that H2Oi event is not city sanctioned; but the Crusin' weekends & Bike Week are. And the city does have to be concerned about what goes on in town during the H2Oi event. Ocean City is in a dilemma, I'm sure. They like the money these shows bring in, but the problems related to them are driving other people away from town. And, in some cases, once a person decides to go somewhere else for vacation to avoid the noise, etc of these shows they may decide to never return, even at non-show times. And to those who commented on the noise of the bikers.....................AMEN!! I just can't understand what the big thrill is to racing up & down Coastal Hwy to go no where & making all that noise, except possibly to annoy other people. And, the bikers aren't kids or young adults, they are middle aged & up, "old enough to know better." September used to be a nice time to visit OC; but now it seems like most of the weekends are taken over with some kind of show that causes problems. For the city council it is going to be a choice of which type of money they want to loss, the show people or other tourists.

Sand Dollars
    If I lived in OC and Bike Week upset me, I'd leave for the weekend and stop complaining.
    That is precisely what we do. Its too bad, most bikers are really great people. But I enjoy my hearing.

Sand Dollars
    If they didn't have these events in the fall, no one would be there. OC needs the money. The handful of people that get pissed off are exponentially outnumbered by the event participants.

I go to bike week every year and my hearing is fine.
    Ken