+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Sand Dollars
    Well said Richard,I couldn't agree more!

Sand Dollars

Clean it up, Ocean City

I love the OC Beach and Boardwalk and Boog's Sundaes.

However, when I dig my feet or hands in the sand, I feel as if I am in a giant ashtray. I hate seeing cigarette butts where I am sitting.

Maybe an answer could be a finer screen on the nightly beach cleaners. Is that possible?

This year for the first time our extended family (22 Marylanders) traveled to Surf City, NC where the sand was so much cleaner.

Clean it up, Ocean City.

Sand Dollars

Complaining Locals

The fact that there is even a smoking ban on the beach and boardwalk is not necessary. The fact that non-smokers are complaining about smoke bothering them in the open air is petty. If your real problem with it is the butts then the trash has to be picked up anyway along with the butts. The thought that anyone even considered the OCBP to inforce the non-smoking ban is just crazy and thank goodness they refused! Their consern is swimmers! Now, they are complaining about the trailers? Really? They are only here for a week. Or is it another excuse for locals to find a way to keep people away from Ocean City? Won't it be nice for them to lose their businesses. Do they want to see the city in the summer look like February? All the stores closed. No need for all the restaurants, Realtors renting properties, gas stations, gift shops and so many other businesses I can't think of now. Do these people even live in Ocean City or do they live in nearby towns? I don't know, but I do know that most if them make a living from the tourist that they seem to hate so much.

Sand Dollars
    Sorry, Fenwickgirl, but me not wanting to be exposed to smokers while on vacation is NOT petty! Smoke causes me upper respiratory problems. I guess you think that I should forgo vacations because of that. I also don't like to have to step on filty cig butts just to get to the beach, or anywhere else for that matter. If smokers were responsible & used proper containers for their butts, & made sure that their smoke was not entering "my space" I wouldn't mind them smoking, but too many do not.
    Every law that's passed to satisfy one group usually manages to upset another. So if a law causes some people to not come to OCMD, then it also encourages another group to come.
    Just remember, "Your rights end when they interfere with my rights!"

Sand Dollars
    I guess that the beach and boardwalk in ocean city is the only place on earth that we have this smoking problem. ...im with fenwickgirl.....PETTY. .....get over it already!!!!

Sand Dollars
    I never said that the only places with smoke problems is the boardwalk & beach in OCMD. Maybe you should "get over it," most people don't want to deal with the side effects of that filthy habit. I have managed to deal with smokers for many years, I would like to be able to have some places where it isn't necessary to do that any more.

Sand Dollars
    I'm with you EllAnn. I applaud Ocean City for joining many other beaches and becoming smoke free. I've been to OC three times this summer (June, July, and August), and each time I've seen more people using the designated smoking areas.

This is also the first summer in a long time where I've been able to find a nice spot on the beach, and have not had somebody sit directly in front of me with a cigarette or cigar.

When I go to the beach, I want to smell the fresh ocean freeze, not somebody's cancer sticks.

Sand Dollars
    Kds, glad to see that I have at least ally in this debate. I really don't mind smokers harming their own health, but I sure don't want them harming mine or any member of my family. The aroma of a fresh ocean breeze sure would be good about now.

Sand Dollars
    I too am glad they have a no smoking ordinance in OC. People who smoke have a right to do it, but the majority of people DON'T smoke these days and don't want to be exposed to smoke. Especially in restaurants. I've had to change tables in restaurants at times not because of the person next to me smoking, but because their clothes REEKED of the smoke and it ruined my meal. I didn't ask them to move, I moved.
    So I guess my point is, that while it's an ordinance, it doesn't mean everyone is going to comply. So if you find cigarette butts in the sand where you are........move. Check out your spot better before setting up. It's what I do. We just can't control the world to suit everyone. OC is trying to do the impossible...........trying to please everyone. They're doing a good job, but it's like trying to scoop water with a sieve.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by EllAnn View Post
    Kds, glad to see that I have at least ally in this debate. I really don't mind smokers harming their own health, but I sure don't want them harming mine or any member of my family. The aroma of a fresh ocean breeze sure would be good about now.
    Yes, I'm with you on this one, and I truly think the ordinance should also include all outdoor bars and restaurants. Unfortunately, the mayor didn't share that same belief. Perhaps, one day, the Clean Air Act of 2007 can be amended to ban smoking in all indoor AND outdoor dining areas.