+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Sand Dollars
    One thing we all agree on is that if the city is going to make all of these ordinances, they need some way of enforcing them. The question is..........HOW? We can't expect the police to monitor every inch of the boardwalk or beach for smokers, drinkers, and obscenity speakers and dog walkers. And we certainly can't expect the lifeguards to come down off their chairs to do the same. The city is basically saying that these are the rules and they expect people to be adults and police themselves. But we all know that's unrealistic. So we get nowhere no matter how many ordinances they put into place. It's all just lip service.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    Z....you are correct. But if just one person sees these laws and obeys them then it will improve the situation, so I see no harm in passing new ordinances that are difficult to police. Surely, smoking on the beach and boardwalk has decreased somewhat just by passing these ordinances. As word gets out more and more people will oblige. Obviously stronger enforcement would be more effective but at what cost.

Sand Dollars
    DeMan. You must have more faith in your fellow man than I do. I believe if these laws aren't enforced or it's "voluntary compliance is expected " that eventually NO ONE will comply. Why should someone inconvenience themselves to walk to an orange bucket to smoke knowing nothing will happen to them if they don't.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by DeMan View Post
    Z....you are correct. But if just one person sees these laws and obeys them then it will improve the situation, so I see no harm in passing new ordinances that are difficult to police. Surely, smoking on the beach and boardwalk has decreased somewhat just by passing these ordinances. As word gets out more and more people will oblige. Obviously stronger enforcement would be more effective but at what cost.
    I so agree! And it might give the police a reason to stop someone they suspect of something else but don't have enough "probable cause" to stop for that..

Sand Dollars
    I just got back from a week at the beach.

I did notice more people using the designated smoking areas than when I was there in June and July.

But, I still saw plenty of cigarette butts in the sand. If you're going to disregard the smoking ban, at least have enough respect to not leave your trash on the beach.

Sand Dollars
    I just got back from a week in OC also.... I did witness someone get warned about smoking on the boards. The police officer just rolled over to him and pointed out the designated area off the boardwalk. I did see a few people smoking on the beach, more so than using the designated areas, and alot of smoking on the boards. Also saw for the first time a dog on the beach around 230pm. She walked right in front of the lifeguards stand. I believe she was told to leave with it. And alot of skateboarding on the boards at all times. More this year than ever.

Sand Dollars
    We got back last week after being down for vaca....I have to say the decrease in smoking on the beach, at least for the inlet area beach we frequent, was NOTICEABLE. That said, we didn't observe any enforcement either. Ironically, this was the first year we saw uniformed OCPD on the beach, not sure what they were looking for, but they were quite friendly and actually ended up playing can-jam with my boys for a bit....until I suggested losers get tasered...LOL.
    Also, I observed significantly less smoking on the boardwalk as well, in spite of what I thought was less of a police presence than I'd seen in the past. Overall, I thought the social behavior (vulgarity, rudeness, etc.) on the beach, boardwalk, and in town was better than I'd seen in a few years. I don't know if that coincided with the time of the season, or what, but we were pleasantly surprised. Maybe it's later in the season, and everyone is just more chill..... whatever the reason, I'm happy about it because we love this place and want to see it thrive and be enjoyable for everyone.

We're desperately hoping to get back down in late Sept (with the Papal visit, it will be a good time to be OUT of the Philly metro area), looking forward to the great weather, clean beaches, and clean air that I'm sure we'll find!

Sand Dollars
    Quick note for everyone complaining about open containers and special events...

The past three weekends there haven't been any large special events. Yet I see, while out working, MANY adults (you know the kind that rent condos for $2500/wk) with open containers in public. At all times of day. On all ends of town. Something to consider when you are shocked seeing this behavior during Cruisin Weekend. Open containers occur ALL SUMMER LONG. But it is most visible during those large public outdoor events.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by sa62039 View Post
    Quick note for everyone complaining about open containers and special events...

The past three weekends there haven't been any large special events. Yet I see, while out working, MANY adults (you know the kind that rent condos for $2500/wk) with open containers in public. At all times of day. On all ends of town. Something to consider when you are shocked seeing this behavior during Cruisin Weekend. Open containers occur ALL SUMMER LONG. But it is most visible during those large public outdoor events.
    ...your point? not sure what the $2500/week condo renters is all about but if I hear you right you are saying that the open container law is broken ALL SUMMER LONG.....but it is more visible (hence worse) during large public outdoor events. I believe you are making the point for those posters.

Sand Dollars
    Looks to me as if some people want OCMD to die a slow painful death. Shunning people who bring this town the financial means to stay alive. Negative attitudes about the ordinances that were adopted to appease those chronic complainers.What is wrong with you people??? In the end you are contributing to the demise of a great little town. It is about time for people to start remembering that this is a free country and what one person sees as fine,another may not but freedom is just that...free to choose your actions. It's a give-and-take situation not a do as I say situation. Have some class,show respect for your brothers and sisters,and just remember we all love OCMD.