+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sand Dollars

Quality Inn 33rd st.

I don't do a lot of hotel reviews, but I'll probably make an effort to change this in the future...

This hotel, like most OC properties has it's ups & downs.
    In the plus column - this property has a great beachfront location, you're only 5 blocks to the north end of the boardwalk, it's normally a quieter part of town, you're a short walk to Jolly Roger's amusement park, Splash Mountain, & Speedworld. There's a number of restaurants that are right there too, so if you wanted to park your car, and not move it till your vacation is over, you could really do so, and do it without cheating yourself from the OC vacation experience. On that note, if you want to head out and explore the surrounding area, you don't have to be in panic mode as there's plenty of parking here - even on a night w/no vacancy it's a non issue.

As I mentioned the hotel is oceanfront, and again, this location is hard to beat for the beach too, even on the 4th of July, the beach here does not get overly crowded.

The rooms over all are pretty good, some have been remodeled and are extremely nice, the older rooms can be pretty rough - had one like that in April, and I really didn't dig it... old appliances, to the point that if you used the dishwasher to clean anything you'd probably be doing more harm than good... my son is still convinced that "they got the pullout sofa from the garbage" (his words not mine). I know they are renting THESE rooms out last, and they are schedule for a remodel asap.

The room I got this time, was "newer" dishwasher was still off limits, and the bath tub was fine for showering, but I wouldn't want to get in that tub, for love, or money - neither was in play, so it was all good... The rest of the room was well above average for OC. The place was huge, and the 1 &1/2 bath came in handy for expediting the "off the beach, get ready, and go out for the evening gauntlet". The size of the room is impressive as well, as was the wrap around balcony. The mattresses were good, but the pillows were lousy, normally I bring my own, but forgot it this time, and my neck had me up at least 3 times every night. At least the pullout sofa in this room, was of this century, and met my son's seal of approval.

So, with the pillow talk in mind, I'll segway into the negative column... The staff here is friendly, especially the housekeeping, but the management, & the front desk could do better. This place has a huge wrap around balcony, yet only has 2 chairs, my wife asked if we could have another and was told "no all rooms have only 2 chairs", so guess what? That nicely upholstered indoor chair?? You guessed it - went straight out on my balcony! They give you 4 packs of single serve coffee 2 decaf ,2 regular, so I asked a guy walking around w/ a radio, if we could have another regular coffee packet, as there are 3 of us, and this way we could have 3 cups in the morning, he got a panicked look in his eye and told me "oh sorry no, we can only provide 2 coffees per room, per day, but you can go to the front desk and purchase one for an additional 50 cents" REALLY? you're charging over $300 a night, and you can't even give a cup of coffee per person staying in the room?? You know where they can stick their coffee right???, next time I'll pack my Keurig,or better yet I'll stay up the street, at the QI on 54th, where they GIVE YOU FREE COFFEE ALL DAY LONG. Now, upon checking out, my wife went down to the desk, to have them put the reward points on our Choice card, the woman couldn't look up the numbers she had to show her HOW to look it up ( basically showing her how to do her job), and then this woman had the nerve to tell her, that "you already got a discount, so I really don't think you'll get that many points anyways" Good thing I wasn't there for THIS conversation! ~ reason WHY we got a discount, was because we had a rather unsatisfactory stay here in the past, and they wanted us to give em another chance.

All, in all -- Nice location, the hotel itself is fine... can't complain about the customer service - because there is none!
    Last edited by DeanM; 07-14-2015 at 09:46 PM.

Sand Dollars
    Nice review, Dean. I've never stayed there but I have stayed ocean-side on 31st, quite a few times at the Flamingo. I'll agree it's more quiet, plenty of parking and the beach never seems to be overly-crowded. I like being just north of the end of the boardwalk, as I like to walk the entire span.

Sand Dollars
    The Quality Inn on 33rd is one my favorite hotels in OC. The breakfast there is superb, I can't remember the name of the in house restaurant though.
    Anthony's Deli is just out back for your beverage needs and the deli subs there are a must hit for me. I'll be stopping in there in about 4 days to get the Galley sub, awesome.
    I do understand your complaints, why not a extra chair, why not a extra coffee packet, seems like simple request to me.
    Although, they do have coffee in the lobby for free. I made several trips there waiting on my family to get ready for the day, lol.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by tfunkhouser View Post
    The Quality Inn on 33rd is one my favorite hotels in OC. The breakfast there is superb, I can't remember the name of the in house restaurant though.
    Anthony's Deli is just out back for your beverage needs and the deli subs there are a must hit for me. I'll be stopping in there in about 4 days to get the Galley sub, awesome.
    I do understand your complaints, why not a extra chair, why not a extra coffee packet, seems like simple request to me.
    Although, they do have coffee in the lobby for free. I made several trips there waiting on my family to get ready for the day, lol.
    I agree, I like the breakfast there too, although we made breakfast in the room the whole time, no spatula here, so I got some amusement watching my wife flip eggs with a spoon...

And, like I said the hotel itself is pretty good, I just felt like nobody wanted to go the extra mile here for ya, and that's really, & truly, the kinda thing that makes me come back to a place... and feeling like I'm being nickel & dimed, is the sorta thing that makes me want to move on...

Over all, I've tried to give a fair & balanced review here, I forgot to mention the indoor pool, and sauna area, which should've been listed in the + column, AND the joke of an outdoor shower that would fall into the negative - only saving grace w/ that outdoor shower, was it gave me some free entertainment, watching people trying to get it to wash the sand off of themselves, before eventually giving up in a huff... lol

I gotta ask now - WHERE is this coffee hidden at in the lobby? I was there for 4 days, and never seen it... *shrug* If you say it's there, I'm sure it is, but it must be well hidden, and I'm sure THAT is no accident either.

Sand Dollars
    The coffee is right at the front desk. If your facing the front desk, it's to the right of their counter.
    The roof top pool is very nice. For bike weekend we stand out on the top parking garage and watch the bikes go by. Great spot to see this.

Have they started construction of the other hotel yet on vacant lot?

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by tfunkhouser View Post
    The coffee is right at the front desk. If your facing the front desk, it's to the right of their counter.
    The roof top pool is very nice. For bike weekend we stand out on the top parking garage and watch the bikes go by. Great spot to see this.

Have they started construction of the other hotel yet on vacant lot?
    My wife and I both missed this at the front desk... I dunno...

No,no construction that I seen (but keep in mind I missed that coffee maker lol) it was STILL just an empty dirt lot, mater of fact people were parking in it - not sure WHY, considering there's an over abundance of good parking inside garage. *shrug*

Sand Dollars
    Hmm, thought by now they would have begun construction. Always thought the pool there (near the vacant lot) would be great if they cleaned it up and made available to guest.
    It probably will get torn down for a new pool for the new hotel.

Sand Dollars
    We've stayed there quite a few times. Our first room was a corner "suite" all done in light blue with a kitchenette and the shower and toilet were in separate rooms with a sink between the two. Very nice room, very nice balcony and oceanfront views.
    Another time my son pulled some strings and got us a penthouse suite. Could definitely have been nicer. Sliding screen didn't work and the doors were foggy with condensation and the appliances were old. Only thing we used was the fridge to keep soda cold.
    But aside from a few minor things like wallpaper coming off in a corner or not enough toilet paper, we've always been happy to stay there. Getting into and out of the parking garage can get a little tricky but once you figure it out it's all good.
    I know they changed front staff and that saddens me because I loved Tara and Betty, but times change.
    It's a great place to stay as for convenience, but we prefer the Holiday Inn on 67th as our "moderate priced" hotel.
    Thanks for your review Dean.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    Lots of good memories from this hotel. It's been a lot of years since we enjoyed Doc's Shop hot dogs. We stopped staying there before the noise from the new Hilton started so that gives you an idea how long it's been. It felt like a friendly family run place back then. Sounds like it has changed some but still a great location for beach and everything.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by pghDave View Post
    It felt like a friendly family run place back then. Sounds like it has changed some but still a great location for beach and everything.
    Well, that's it in a nutshell Dave. Like I said though the rest of the staff was super friendly, house keeping, maintenance, ect... but that attitude at the front desk is/was a different deal - and like that 3rd chair we tried to get for the balcony? You know darn well they have an extra chair SOMEWHERE in that hotel, they just didn't want to give us one, (maybe they thought I was going to take it back home to secure a parking spot next winter (lil Pittsburgh humor there between us)) and I know this for a fact, because when I looked at the same exact room one floor up back in April there were more chairs on that balcony.