+ Reply to Thread
    Sand Dollars

Handicapped accomodations

Looking for handicap accessible accommodations for Oct 7-11

Sand Dollars
    Use the "Hotels" link at the top left of this site's page. Once you put in your dates, on the left side hit the drop down arrow for Facilities and you can select Facilities for Disabled Guests. Good luck and enjoy your trip.
    Ken

Sand Dollars
    Nearly every hotel in OC has handicap accessible rooms.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    I would disagree. Many of the hotels advertise handicap accessible - but that may not necessarily indicate wheelchair or scooter accessible. I have a family who is wheelchair bound and uses an electric wheelchair. We have had major difficulties finding restrooms in hotels that allow her to turn around in the chair - which means she is forced to back out and at times has had to use the facilities with the door opened. Some of the hotels elevators in several hotels only hold a wheelchair and perhaps one or two people. It can be a little disheartening to hear people sigh and mumble about having to wait for the elevator when there is only one elevator in the hotel and it is slow.

I would love to find boardwalk hotels that have rooms wide enough to accommodate an electric wheelchair - meaning the space between the bed and the dressers/tv stands, bathrooms which allow a wheelchair to turn around, and shower only in the bathroom.

If anyone knows of one - from the inlet to about 20th street - please respond to my post.

Thanks!

Sand Dollars
    Forgot to state that we did stay at the Monte Carlo last summer. It was pretty good as far as the room was concerned for the wheelchair. Unfortunately, she could not turn around in the bathroom and had to back out. We brought our own tub seat for her to shower. (I can't remember if this was one of the hotels where she couldn't shut the bathroom door)

Sand Dollars
    The Holiday Inn Suites on 17th is definitely handicap accessible for wheelchairs and motorized scooters. Only thing is.......it's expensive.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    I prefer not to get an accessible room because the shower often has an open door or a curtain which I find cold and never a bath. I love baths. I notice that usually the room doesn't appear to be bigger to let a wheelchair navigate around the beds.I also feel a bit guilty if I get one as what happens if a person with mobility issues checks in late and there are no suitable rooms.