Thread: Cruisin Weekend

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Sand Dollars
    RL.....I know you like OC alot. But maybe it's time to schlep on up north to the ol' LSD. Fenwick and BB both have restaurants, including Just Hooked and Off the Hook. (ditching Ropewalk this year) Both beaches are quiet and you know I wouldn't forget TAX FREE LIQUOR!!!!!!! (lower slower Delaware)

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by DeMan View Post
    Well....I guess I'm in the minority.....
    No, no you're not...
    I've written my share of posts on here about the out of control behavior on the boards over the years - Every time I do it, it's the same thing a few want to make the argument that nothing has changed, that it's "always been like this". -- Complete B.S.! I was vacationing here as a kid, a teen, a young adult, and now a middle aged adult, and NEVER did I ever go out on the boards to ride a skateboard in between people walking, or ride a bike, and try to see how close I could get to people. Never taken my dog to the boards during the times that are prohibited, never walked around families using loud vulgarities, and it was NOT common behavior displayed by others...

This is the NEW normal, in OC during the summer, and it's disgusting. AND if you think that we are the minority, all you gotta do is put this out on FB, and you'll have so many similar complaints you'd have a hard time replying to them all - Rewind the clock to last year, when we all discussed this very same thing, in a different thread, and you'll see the post when I copied and pasted a fraction of responses. There were many, long time OC vacationers who were fed up, and looking to go else where.

Years ago, I never thought I'd stay anywhere that wasn't on the boards... The past 2 summers we stayed further north, and were much happier, I like the boards during the offseason, but I'm over it as far as July is concerned.

Sand Dollars
    Well said Dean. It really was bad. And the boardwalk was DIRTY! People just weren't using garbage cans (well, to be honest they were overflowing) so the fries, papers, drink cups, etc were either tossed on top of the overflowing garbage cans, or just tossed on the ground. You had to watch where you were walking. I slipped on smashed fries and nearly fell, of course, I was glad I saw the dog poop on the boardwalk and avoided that one. Everyone now a days seems to have this opinion that they are "entitled" to do whatever they feel like and you can't change their minds.
    CatPat, we are looking at Bethany and the Outer Banks for our next vacation. At the very least, we will only come to OC off season now in late September or October when we can still enjoy the beach and the quieter time.
    I still love OC, but in a different way now.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    I agree that OC has gotten a lot noisier and out of control. I have been going to OC since 1986. It was a nice family friendly place to go. You would have your occasional burnout or car racing up Coastal, but nothing like it is now. The boardwalk used to be crowded, but you didn't feel threatened. You could walk up and down the sidewalks on coastal highway in the evenings and not fear for your safety. The problem I feel is too many car shows now that bring in the wrong element. Plus, ever since Seacrets opened up, it has attracted the trouble makers from Baltimore/DC and surrounding areas on weekends.

Sand Dollars
    Seacrets opened in 1988.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by mommiecat View Post
    I agree that OC has gotten a lot noisier and out of control. I have been going to OC since 1986. It was a nice family friendly place to go. You would have your occasional burnout or car racing up Coastal, but nothing like it is now. The boardwalk used to be crowded, but you didn't feel threatened. You could walk up and down the sidewalks on coastal highway in the evenings and not fear for your safety. The problem I feel is too many car shows now that bring in the wrong element. Plus, ever since Seacrets opened up, it has attracted the trouble makers from Baltimore/DC and surrounding areas on weekends.

Ehhh....I beg to differ. I stopped going to OC in 1989 and didn't go back until 2007. (I now own a house there). In 1989 I was there for senior beach week. I was there with some friends. We were laid back guys. I mean super laid back. Think surfer dude laid back.

Well, we got into 3 fights (all defensive affairs since we were not the instigators). At one of the fights while 2 guys were fighting, one of my friends and another guy from another group, someone sucker punched me and broke my jaw. (His biggest mistake as I was a competitive kickboxer and an instructor.....I was not too pleased to have been punched) This event scared me because I was so enraged, for the first time ever, I really wanted to inflict serious pain on someone. I'd never been that angry in my life and that freaked me out. Luckily there were a bunch of people that ended up removing me from this other person. I freaked out because I thought, what would have happened if those people weren't there to pull me off. So I swore off OC. It wasn't just me. I'd heard stories from other friends about various fights that they were in or witnessed.

We were 4 teenage guys that were there to enjoy the week. So apparently that meant any other group of 4 or more teenage guys were obligated to start a fight with us. The boardwalk was pretty much off limits because we couldn't go one block without running into another group that would want to start a fight with us.

Not sure what some of you folks remember, but OC back then was pretty bad. I don't see it any worse today. In the recent years I've been there, I've been at the boardwalk pretty late with my kids and I've not ever felt threatened.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by sa62039 View Post
    Let me be completely honest about the teenagers in question: they are almost all the children of the cruisers themselves. And those trucks 'accompany' the cruisers, whether it was actually towing a trailer/car down or not is hard to tell. We see this every single year. Make what you will out of that.

As far as the rules on the boardwalk go, jeez that sounds like a fair amount of... well whining!! There are rules and regulations sure, but this is America! This place was founded on breaking the rules. It was a rough winter here, locals have been getting itchy, and its the time of the year where the town simply embraces everyone. We don't start hating tourists until the minivans crawl down Coastal come August, or the significantly more annoying car and bike weekends in October. So tough it up, relax a bit, and go with the flow. That's what OC is all about anyways.

I was happily cruising around on my bike for the past few weeks on the boardwalk, enjoying the dogs and other cyclists that I met along the way. So did most other people I saw.

On a side note concerning cops: they leave academy this week. They will be out in full force THIS weekend. They weren't last weekend.
    Amen SA!

Don't listen to z06RL She is too old to be coming to OC anyway.

She's probably the old lady that comes out and yells when you walk your dog by her house.

I've been going to OC for damn near 30 years and I've adjusted with the time, there is no reason everyone else can't do it too.
    Last edited by JSchmitz; 05-26-2015 at 06:42 PM.

Sand Dollars
    Too old to go to OC??? ~ Anyone who would write something this ridiculous, is probably on the same level as the morons who disrespecting people on the boards....

btw I too went to OC the summer of 89 (when I graduated). Went with my buddies, we drank in bars under age - mostly Cadillac Jack's - stayed at the Santa Maria on 15th, and walked the boards nightly. Never got into a fight, never even came close to a fight, never even saw a fight... We didn't, get loud, shout obscenities, say inappropriate things to girls that we saw along the way, or do anything else to draw negative attention to ourselves. We were having fun, and trying our best NOT to end up with any legal entanglements - kinda the same thought process I still use to this day.

Also worth mentioning I did trips to OC with my friends up until I was 28, and neither me or any of the guys in my groups, ever got into any fights. Only time it came close was in 1997, at Seacrets, when some guy was practically trying to have sex w/girl on my one buddy's laps.

Sand Dollars
    People blaming Seacrets lose all credibility regarding this thread. The people patronizing Seacrets are NOT the same people causing havoc on the boardwalk. Most of the trouble causing people on the boards can't even get into Seacrets and those that can won't pay the cover. Like any HUGE bar/nightclub you can find trouble if you look for it at Seacrets, the difference is you will pay the price. They have zero tolerance for any of that nonsense which is not the case on the boardwalk.

Sand Dollars
    Its amazing how many people do nothing but cry about specific types...No mention of the loudest cars of all which are the "pro street" type cars that do burnouts like the other people with much louder mostly open header cars. Oh my gosh and most of them are middle aged men with their overgrown wife in tow spewing some redneck tune from their outdated system. Young kids pack the hotels and frequent the eating establishments and boardwalk vendors (spending money). Many of those so called bee hive exhaust cars are worth more than any car you've ever driven in 25 years of OC. No mention of the morons who take up all the spaces at the gas stations without actually getting gas (most are the classic older cars doing this)... bottom line you know what the cruise weekend is so if you don't like it don't go down or if you live there then stay in your trailer...I don't sleep in my car I stay at the Marriott every year Thur-Sun. I live and work on the Eastern Shore...I am well above 35 years of age...stop crying and blaming everything wrong in OC with the young people they have just as much right to be there doing their thing as you have shuffling down the boardwalk in tight shorts out of the 70's breaking your old necks to purve every young female in sight...Like its the young people only smoking weed wow get a clue and get the bottle out of your hand while your at it...boardwalk is great and alive....take the kids away and you have old people walking around talking about the good old days and spending NOTHING....