Sign Up|Sign In|Contact|Advertise

Thread: Cruisin Weekend

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 68
  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    965
    Sand Dollars
    4,090
    Maybe I've just been lucky, but it seems like the biggest issue I run into on the Boardwalk is people who stop in the middle during the crowded summer season.

    Granted, I do agree about the amount of profanity you hear (and see) on the Boardwalk.

    DeMan makes a great point that language and disrespect is sadly not a problem unique to Ocean City. But there's no need to let a few bad apples spoil the bunch.

    We still take my niece to Trimper's a few times a year without incident. With few exceptions, I've never had any issues in any Boardwalk bars or restaurants.

  2. #12
    Senior Member OCMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    372
    Sand Dollars
    2,166
    I'm with the idea that people just don't give a $#!t about being respectful to each other anymore. Given that with the huge population density in the summer, just makes it more likely to run into those types of people. There are other areas in OC that are a little more relaxed, especially in North OC. Everyone has their own level of tolerance and I believe it can change as you age as well. Do I think OC is any worse than say 20 years ago? Maybe... but it's the people and their total lack of respect for others, not the city itself.

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    118
    Sand Dollars
    1,474
    Folks,
    This is a topic that bothers me a bit. It seems like the "older" crowd (of which I am a part of at 44 years old) seems to forget what they used to do as kids. I am a car guy. I used to own a supercharged Mystic Cobra (hence my handle) but now own a modified Subaru (sold the Cobra because, well, my Subaru is faster and handles better) . I am actually of the mindset that both Cruisin and H2O and or any other car type event brings out some of the worst elements. It isn't fair to blame the event or event organizers. The burnouts I witnessed during this last weekend were all American cars. As a matter of fact the worst offenders were Mustangs doing burnouts on my residential street where my kids play.
    I've previously mentioned that I think that the OCPD made things during H2O worse by harassing kids that weren't doing anything wrong. (For example stopping cars and looking for safety violations such as ride height). If they are obeying the traffic laws, leave them alone. Harassing them just inflames things.

    I am older and wiser now, but I can relate to how these kids must feel. For example, I had my Subaru down for Cruisin. I NEVER speed in OC, or do anything stupid. So on my way to OC last weekend, I had a headlight bulb go out on Friday evening. The next day, I am heading down towards downtown (my place is on 136th) because I needed to hit Home Depot. I am witnessing cars speeding and performing burnouts left and right (most of them are "Cruisin" type vehicles.....older American cars). It is 3pm in the afternoon and wouldn't you know it, I get pulled over in the middle of the day for a headlight being out (I have daytime running lights). I am sure that they thought I was younger because I am driving a modified Subaru. As the cop is coming up to my car, I can see him in my rearview mirror, checking things. (Guessing he was looking for "Safety violations"). If I were a kid, I'd be pretty incensed, but I knew that when he'd see me (to see I wasn't a kid), I'd just get a repair warning.

    Seriously???? There are cars violating traffic laws left and right and you pull me over at 3pm in the afternoon for a headlight being out?????

    Again, I wasn't upset since I wasn't in a hurry but put 18 year old me in that situation and I am livid.

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    118
    Sand Dollars
    1,474
    Quote Originally Posted by Kds53098 View Post
    Maybe I've just been lucky, but it seems like the biggest issue I run into on the Boardwalk is people who stop in the middle during the crowded summer season.

    Granted, I do agree about the amount of profanity you hear (and see) on the Boardwalk.

    DeMan makes a great point that language and disrespect is sadly not a problem unique to Ocean City. But there's no need to let a few bad apples spoil the bunch.

    We still take my niece to Trimper's a few times a year without incident. With few exceptions, I've never had any issues in any Boardwalk bars or restaurants.
    And in my opinion the boardwalk is much better than it was 20-25 years ago. I stopped coming to OC during the late 80s early 90s because it seemed like as a late teens/early 20's male, you couldn't go 3 streets down the boardwalk without someone trying to start a fight. While there is still some unsavory elements at the boardwalk, it is much better.

  5. #15
    Senior Member terp84alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,050
    Sand Dollars
    6,671
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra617 View Post
    Folks,
    This is a topic that bothers me a bit. It seems like the "older" crowd (of which I am a part of at 44 years old) seems to forget what they used to do as kids. I am a car guy. I used to own a supercharged Mystic Cobra (hence my handle) but now own a modified Subaru (sold the Cobra because, well, my Subaru is faster and handles better) . I am actually of the mindset that both Cruisin and H2O and or any other car type event brings out some of the worst elements. It isn't fair to blame the event or event organizers. The burnouts I witnessed during this last weekend were all American cars. As a matter of fact the worst offenders were Mustangs doing burnouts on my residential street where my kids play.
    I've previously mentioned that I think that the OCPD made things during H2O worse by harassing kids that weren't doing anything wrong. (For example stopping cars and looking for safety violations such as ride height). If they are obeying the traffic laws, leave them alone. Harassing them just inflames things.

    I am older and wiser now, but I can relate to how these kids must feel. For example, I had my Subaru down for Cruisin. I NEVER speed in OC, or do anything stupid. So on my way to OC last weekend, I had a headlight bulb go out on Friday evening. The next day, I am heading down towards downtown (my place is on 136th) because I needed to hit Home Depot. I am witnessing cars speeding and performing burnouts left and right (most of them are "Cruisin" type vehicles.....older American cars). It is 3pm in the afternoon and wouldn't you know it, I get pulled over in the middle of the day for a headlight being out (I have daytime running lights). I am sure that they thought I was younger because I am driving a modified Subaru. As the cop is coming up to my car, I can see him in my rearview mirror, checking things. (Guessing he was looking for "Safety violations"). If I were a kid, I'd be pretty incensed, but I knew that when he'd see me (to see I wasn't a kid), I'd just get a repair warning.

    Seriously???? There are cars violating traffic laws left and right and you pull me over at 3pm in the afternoon for a headlight being out?????

    Again, I wasn't upset since I wasn't in a hurry but put 18 year old me in that situation and I am livid.
    I'm with you. I was far (very far) from perfect in my teens and 20s. I have a 20 year old son and we travel to OC several times bringing along his buddies. I come to Cruisin and bike week. I'm bothered very little. Sure there are the isolated incidents involving idiots but like I said, I don't think much has changed over the decades.
    Ken

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    118
    Sand Dollars
    1,474
    Quote Originally Posted by terp84alum View Post
    I'm with you. I was far (very far) from perfect in my teens and 20s. I have a 20 year old son and we travel to OC several times bringing along his buddies. I come to Cruisin and bike week. I'm bothered very little. Sure there are the isolated incidents involving idiots but like I said, I don't think much has changed over the decades.
    The thing that bothers me are the burnouts and speeding on Coastal Hwy. (or any other street in OC). I have really young kids and worry when we walk to the beach during a car event since we have to cross Coastal. Other than that I could not care less. Want to lower your car to the point where your camber is skewed go right ahead. I think it is goofy, but who cares what I think. During H2O the cops were really harassing these kids that had their cars lowered to ridiculous levels. Those kids that slam their cars typically drive very slow. (Low and slow is what they call it) I'd say leave them alone and get the ones doing burnouts and speeding. Doing a burnout can be pretty dangerous in a crowded area. I can see someone losing control and plowing in to people.

  7. #17
    Senior Member Z06RL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,220
    Sand Dollars
    7,517
    It wasn't just Coastal. It was on Philadelphia and Baltimore. We were behind a metal light pole just in case, but there were people pushing baby carriages on those narrow sidewalks and all I could imagine was one of those idiots losing control showing off and hitting someone. It happened in front of the Convention Center several years back when I was sitting there in my chair. Nobody was hurt, but it just makes you realize that it CAN happen. Did we do burnouts when we were kids in the 60's and 70's? Yep. But we did it late at night and when nobody was around (didn't want to get caught by the cops!). Doing it in a crowded venue like OC during Cruisin weekend is careless and scary. I don't know how it can be fixed. I don't have any answers. For me, it was fun to watch the cops hide and catch them. LOL.
    Let's face it, we all had things we liked, things we didn't, things we'd like to see changed and things we hope never change. The youth will continue to push the boundaries and the older generation will always think of them as hooligans. Life never changes.
    Ask an OC Insider

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    118
    Sand Dollars
    1,474
    Quote Originally Posted by Z06RL View Post
    It wasn't just Coastal. It was on Philadelphia and Baltimore. We were behind a metal light pole just in case, but there were people pushing baby carriages on those narrow sidewalks and all I could imagine was one of those idiots losing control showing off and hitting someone.
    Exactly.....and yet I get pulled over for a headlight being out in the middle of the day.......Sigh.....Again, I am not upset for me personally. I am replacing the light and I have a buddy that owns a repair shop (a MD State inspection facility). I'll just bring my warning to him to sign. I was just shaking my head because as the officers were tied up with me (for about 20 mins mind you), I am watching these imbeciles flying up and down Coastal.

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    186
    Sand Dollars
    1,525
    Well....I guess I'm in the minority....I never did anything stupid as a kid. That is the advantage of growing up in the 70's.......I don't remember very much of it! Lol. Seriously though, like I said I love the car and bike weekends.....that is different than the trash hanging on the boardwalk. However, it only takes one idiot doing a burnout, losing control and jumping the curb to ruin about a dozen people's weekend. And trust me......it WILL happen. It will be a very sad day for OC when it does.

  10. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Ocean City
    Posts
    42
    Sand Dollars
    542
    Honestly Cobra you hit the nail on the head.

    The fact of why many people may think OC has gone 'downhill' or whatever term old cranky people want to use, is that you have the exact same amount of space on the island, but twice or even three times as many people come for these events. If you are twice as likely to see a bunch of people (compared to the '70s), then you are twice as likely to see an idiot do something you don't like. Same space, way more people. It's simple math.

    Luckily OC still has the beach. Nobody will ever complain about that. Don't like the cruisers going up and down Coastal? Go chill at the beach. Or better yet, grab a kayak and hit bayside. Water is much warmer anyways.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Ocean City Maryland Hotels and Info for the Perfect OC Vacation | OceanCity.com
Get SocialGet Social
Facebook Twitter Flickr Pinterest