+ Reply to Thread
    Sand Dollars

Memorial Day Weekend

Let me start off by saying WE LOVE OC.. we chose to go down for the long memorial day weekend. We have gone in the past..and we know to expect crowds.

We got to our condo about 12;30 on Friday Afternoon..Was smooth sailing from PA..made it in like 3 hours and 15 minutes.unpacked,,got settled in. and decided to go to Shrimp boat for 1.50 crabs. they were small but full...

Stopped at a few other "watering holes" got back to condo about 10.,Pm... good day and night

Saturday..got up.. made some breakfast... went to boardwalk to avoid the crowds..GOOD call.not crowded at all.. But i truley thought the NO SMOKING and NO DOGS ban were in effect? Apparently NOt..cause tons of smokers and several dogs. Not sure when they are going to enforce it..cause we saw NO police on the boards.

Saturday early evening we thought we would hit seacrets or mackey. .cause they are within walking distance...NOPE both had lines.ALL NIGHT!...
    It must have been College Weekend or something...I have never seen SO many college age kids..SAW so many very intoxicated "kids" walking but most were well behaved... a few were rowdy..but not bad.

All in all had a nice weekend. BUT thinking about avoiding memorial weekend next year...Getting too old for all the crowds i guess..

Sand Dollars

Unfortunately I have to agree

In contrast, we went up to Rehoboth yesterday and there was no one smoking nor were there dogs on the boardwalk. We have always had dogs and love to have them with us - but they don't belong on the boards. But that's minor compared to the class of kids that are ever increasing down there. I'm starting to feel like buying a condo here was a mistake. Unfortunately we aren't able to afford Delaware beach front.

Forgot to mention... the police were very present on the Rehoboth boardwalk.
    Regards,
    Pete, Gaithersburg & Ocean City

Sand Dollars
    Unfortunately, OC is very good at creating ordinances, but very lax in enforcing them. Even in August you'll find dogs on the boards and beach, and smokers aren't going to walk 15' into the sand when they're on the boardwalk and get sand in their shoes just to have a smoke. Plus there are no signs for either issue and nobody who wants to enforce the rules for fear of chasing away visitors. I think they're just passed to appease residents. But that's just my opinion and worth nada.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    I'm hoping the new cadets on their way to OC will help enforce the smoking ban.

Sand Dollars
    Has it announced yet how many people visited during memorial day weekend?
    common sense is not so common

Sand Dollars
    I believe I saw a news article saying 250,000.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by PlainsPricey106 View Post
    I believe I saw a news article saying 250,000.
    249,000 of them were at Seacrets

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Z06RL View Post
    Unfortunately, OC is very good at creating ordinances, but very lax in enforcing them. Even in August you'll find dogs on the boards and beach, and smokers aren't going to walk 15' into the sand when they're on the boardwalk and get sand in their shoes just to have a smoke. Plus there are no signs for either issue and nobody who wants to enforce the rules for fear of chasing away visitors. I think they're just passed to appease residents. But that's just my opinion and worth nada.

I think you hit the nail on the head Z06...They pass these rules but is anybody going around enforcing them. I'l be down this weekend and I let you all know what I will see.

Sand Dollars
    I know you won't see as many dogs on the boardwalk in the daytime in season. It's in the late evening, early night that you see the most.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    Was down the past couple weekends. Nowhere near the boardwalk, but I was on the beach alot and I can tell you I saw Zero, 0, nada, zip smokers using or even near the orange smoke containers and there were plenty of people smoking on the beach. But what do you expect when they pass new laws and then announce people will have to "self police" themselves.

If they are not going to police the laws then they shouldn't pass them. There is a better chance of a fight breaking out when some do-gooder decides to approach the offenders.