Thread: New to crabbing

+ Reply to Thread
    Sand Dollars

New to crabbing

HI,
    I am going to be in ocean city may 7-10 2015 after getting married. I am interested in crabbing and fishing while I am there. I have never been there or crabbed before, so I was trying to get tips and what I will need and do I need a license while I am there. any other tips would be helpful thank you.

Sand Dollars
    A great source of info can be found at oysterbaytackle.com. The former Sue Foster, who co-owned Oyster Bay Tackle on 118th street was a wealth of knowledge when it come to fishing and crabbing around OC. She has hundreds of articles full of how to's and tips about fishing in OC. From where exactly to fish, for flounder, sea bass, blue fish, and others in the bay to all types in the surf. Be sure to stop by their shop too. They have everything. Even the license you need to fish unless you go out on a charter trip, which is a good idea when beginner fishing in OC. You might want to look up Morning Star fishing. 100 bucks for 8 hours on the ocean. He always puts you on the fish. Some of the other headboats that go off shore are the Judith M ( which also does a sunset cruise), The Angler (also does a nature cruise along Assateaque Island), and the ocean princess. Or you could go on one of the many flounder headboats that fish the back bays in OC. Flounder Pounder, Happy Hooker, Tortuga are just a few. Most are about 25 bucks for 2 hours. Interested in fishing for the big ones like tuna, marlin, and sharks? Look up a private charter. A good source for those is The Coastal Fisherman. A weekly newspaper for fishing around the delmarva area. They also have a website that has a downloadable version of the paper. Should be starting up pretty soon. They take a break for the winter. Have fun and good luck.

Sand Dollars
    I second PlainsPricey106's advice and recommendation of Oyster Bay Tackle - Their website is by far the best resource for info on fishing and crabbing in and around OC ( http://www.oysterbaytackle.com/ ).

Generally you do not need a license to crab, but you do need one to fish both in the bay and in the ocean in OC. However, you can fish from the commercial piers at the Oceanic Motel and Ocean Pier and most rental or charter boats for without as the license requirement is covered by their business. You can also fish from the Chicago Avenue Bulkhead on the bay near 2nd Street without a license. This city owned and maintained area was given an exemption from the license requirement to give visitors a place where they could fish without a license.
    Last edited by OCGuy; 05-01-2015 at 01:11 PM.

Sand Dollars
    Crabbing is simple. All you need is patience, a few chicken necks that you can buy at any grocery store in OC, some string, a cooler, and a net with a long handle (pick one up at Rose's, Wal Mart, or Sunsations.........all in OC) You can crab behind the Convention Center, off the pier at Northside Park and other places in OC. Simply find a spot, tie a neck onto a long piece of string and drop it into the water. You can either hold the string or tie it to a pier pole. Once you see your string start pulling, GENTLY begin to pull it up. As soon as you can see the crab chewing on the chicken, use your net and scoop it up and put it in your cooler. There are size limits and both places I mentioned have signs that tell you how big they have to be to keep them. Honor system. No license required to crab. I've done it lots of times, but honestly never caught many crabs and the ones I did catch I threw back because it's just fun to catch them.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    Wait......you are going to catch crabs on your honeymoon?

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by captpat View Post
    Wait......you are going to catch crabs on your honeymoon?

ROFLMAO!!! That's FUNNY!
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Z06RL View Post
    ROFLMAO!!! That's FUNNY!
    Wait....forget the shtick for a minute. You want to buy chicken necks, string, a net, a state license (hope you're a MD resident) and schlep the whole works onto a pier a half mile from a parking lot, do a refugee impression, just to throw back your undersized quarry?. On your honeymoon?? Pleeese, find a good crabhouse in WOC, or get a steak from Fausto's. #crabbingsux (my first #, ever)