+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Kds53098 View Post
    Should either be nominated in the Worst OC Food thread?
    No, I'm not saying that all... The food is far from "the Worst", it's average, over priced (which IS the average now days in OC), and in a word - forgettable! There's nothing in any of those 3 places that I'd be craving, or even looking forward to ever getting again.

The service, & attitude at the Lizard was the awful... mostly because management had no clue what they were doing!

While I'm not a D.F. fan, they seem to at least have an idea how to run a successful establishment in a resort town. However even though they run the restaurant end correctly, the food is rather lack luster.

Seacrets is a kick ass night club, and nobody can take that away from them... The food here ok, but nothing to write home "or dining reports (lol)" about. There's really nothing on the menu that I couldn't get somewhere else in town, and chances are it would be better, and cheaper. The busier it gets through out the evening, the more down hill the service goes.

Sand Dollars
    Gotcha.

I've found that at a few places down there that operate primarily as drinking establishments, that it's better to eat prior to going. The food's typically better, and cheaper elsewhere.

A friend and I got into town late on a Thursday night once and hit the Boardwalk. Unfortunately, most of the restaurants and snack shacks were closed, so we went to one of our favorite Boardwalk watering holes for dinner and drinks. The food was decent, but nothing special. So, I hear what you're saying.

Sand Dollars
    I hate to disagree but I think both Dead Freddie's and Seacrets has great BAR food. They are by no means a formal restaurant but if you like sitting in a bar atmosphere and eating they have very good food. Again, I find myself defending Seacrets but if you haven't eaten there in a few years give it another try. It is completely different. In fact, I know this will ruffle a few feathers, but I think their pizza is the best in OC.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by DeMan View Post
    I hate to disagree but I think both Dead Freddie's and Seacrets has great BAR food. They are by no means a formal restaurant but if you like sitting in a bar atmosphere and eating they have very good food. Again, I find myself defending Seacrets but if you haven't eaten there in a few years give it another try. It is completely different. In fact, I know this will ruffle a few feathers, but I think their pizza is the best in OC.

I agree with you DeMan, Dead Freddies's food is pretty darn good. The family and I make a date to hit DF every time in town.
    They have great drink specials (maybe that's why the food is so good, lol) and special drinks for the kids ie "Shark bites"
    The bar has a great atmosphere to watch a game, kinda makes you feel like your in the stadium.

Sand Dollars
    The one time I had lunch at Seacrets, I did enjoy the jerk chicken tenders.

But I think the main point of these places is that the food is not the main attraction at all.

My favorite place for bar food might be The Frog. Great burgers.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by DeMan View Post
    I hate to disagree but I think both Dead Freddie's and Seacrets has great BAR food.
    I'm not really sure that we even ARE "disagreeing"... I've eaten at D.F. twice, and both times ordered entree's, both times were disappointed, probably should've just ordered burgers & wings. I guess my beef is - if it's bar food, then they should cut their menu in half, and focus on what they excel at...
    I've done Seacrets for lunch, dinner, & late night munchies. I though they were pretty high on their price for dinner (just pulled their menu up - 20 bucks for chicken & $26 for ONE crab cake???) . Sandwiches were ok, and the nacho's were pretty good, as I remember it.... It HAS been a few years since we ate here, and to be honest, pizza wouldn't even have been something I'd have considered, but now that you've brought it up, I'm open to giving it try. Wish you would've said something sooner, I just got back fro OC on Sunday. If I'd have known, I'd have met you there and had a slice with you ~ and we could have sat around and critiqued it over a couple drinks!

Sand Dollars
    You are correct Dean.....their entrees are overpriced. I rarely order them or if I do it is when they are half priced.

KDS and Dean one of you mentioned jerk chicken, the other pizza. Do yourselves a favor once and order a pizza topped with their jerk chicken...delicious. They are individual pizza's so they are not real big.

Sand Dollars
    DeMan,

They have a jerk chicken pizza????

Maybe I need to rethink how I feel about Seacrets.

In all honesty, once summertime hits, my fiance and I are planning to go there for an afternoon and lounge in the Bay. Sounds like a good lunch suggestion.

Sand Dollars
    WOW! De lazy lizard didn't make it? So they had a problem with underage kids sneaking drinks. Is that the rumor that's out there? I thought they had a fool proof plan regarding the prohibition of underage drinkers. If I am not mistaken it was to have a pseudo tough guy with rampant dental decay card everyone (including women over the age of 60) at lunch and place bands on their wrists. This would prove once and for all to all the servers that the wearer of said band was of legal drinking age.

Seriously?

We used to stop at Dead Freddie's for a few years as soon as we rolled into town. It ended after Dean asked me what I actually ordered because he didn't like the place. After some thought it occurred to me I only liked the place because I had just driven 7 hours and they had a children's play area, alcoholic beverages and seafood on the menu. We now go with out the play area and enjoy head on shrimp at the shrimp boat instead. i leave home around 3 am to get to the beach and I am mentally out of gas when we get there.

In all seriousness it is too bad to see a place go out. The property of the lizard has promise.

Sand Dollars
    Unfortunately, carding at the door isn't 100% full proof.

There could be a situation where a group of people comes in. Two could be 21+, the other three could be <21. One of the people with wrist bands goes to the bar and orders five drinks for the whole group. Then, you have three people under 21 being served.

It can probably be poor training or management. It's a shame because it's a great location. I still miss having lunch or dinner at BJs South.