+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by sa62039 View Post
    The Shark sucked? That's something I've never heard before.
    Very much so. We had reservations for 9 (that was the earliest we could get) got there and they couldn't seat us so we were put in a cubicle (which isn't there any more) and basically forgotten about until nearly 11. This was for DINNER!! We were starved so hubby got a steak and I don't remember what I got. Food took forever to come, no apologies, no "can we offer you a drink on us for the wait?" , nothing! We didn't get our food until nearly midnight and then felt rushed to eat and leave. By the time we got back to the hotel my husband was complaining and by 2 a.m. was hanging over the commode. Too late to eat. And this was supposed to be a complimentary dinner to impress us because of a group I belong to. Well, they didn't impress, and I've never gone back. No plans to return either. There are PLENTY of other places to dine in OC.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    I will also add Tugos to my list. We had bought discount vouchers online 2 years ago. The pizza was worse than the worst we have in Northeast PA. A freezer burnt frozen pizza would have been better. Have not been to dough roller in years, I avoid that place too. Captains galley was not that good in 2013. Dried out pasta and overcooked seafood in the seafood scampi over pasta. I won't waste my money there again.
    I am going to rock the boat here about Phillips. Which one anyway? We go to 22nd street once in awhile, I like their selection and the wife likes the pasta Station. I think its a toss up between Phillips and Embers. Won't touch bonfire again. All there food was sitting out too long as of 6pm on a thursday.I also like their featured items sign, fried shrimp, clam strips, and pasta. Really? What restaurant in OC doesn't have those?
    Last edited by PlainsPricey106; 04-21-2015 at 12:01 AM.

Sand Dollars
    I'm just curious as I'm noticing a bit of a trend when it comes to pizza in Ocean City.

I've noticed that most of the negative posts I've seen about pizza places in OC are from PA posters. I'm not writing this to be snarky, just out of curiosity. What kind of pizza is the most popular in Pennsylvania?

The only reason I ask is that most of the pizza places in OC seem to sell NY style pizza, and most of these places are very successful. I know that popular doesn't always equal good. But I just wanted to know if, possibly, NY style pizza isn't that popular in PA.

I'm from Baltimore, and we have a very popular place called Pizza John's that sells greasy NY style pizza, and they're very highly regarded in the area. The same people I know who are regulars at Pizza John's will bring back full pies from The Dough Roller for family the way some people bring back taffy or popcorn.

I'm not trying to start any kind of MD vs PA thing, I'm just curious.

Sand Dollars
    Kds53098: In regards to the pizza. I am from PA and I definitely think that some of the pizza places here are the best. Could just be that I grew up here and it's what I am used to. My favorite kind around here is a thicker sort of crust, lots of onions in the sauce, and the bottom of the crust is sort of fried in some kind of oil so it's greasy and crispy then the middle crust is soft and chewy. There are also a lot of places that make regular NY style, thin crust pizza as well. I don't know what it is though, all of my favorite pizza places are here in PA, and I have had pizza in a lot of places.

Sand Dollars
    Noelle,

Fair enough.

As a Marylander, that's pretty much how I feel about seafood. For example, I refuse to eat seafood from a National chain. I won't give any of my hard earned money to Joe's Crab Shack or Red Lobster.

But, will I order a pizza from Papa John's or Little Ceasar's? You bet!!

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelle07 View Post
    Kds53098: In regards to the pizza. I am from PA and I definitely think that some of the pizza places here are the best. Could just be that I grew up here and it's what I am used to. My favorite kind around here is a thicker sort of crust, lots of onions in the sauce, and the bottom of the crust is sort of fried in some kind of oil so it's greasy and crispy then the middle crust is soft and chewy. There are also a lot of places that make regular NY style, thin crust pizza as well. I don't know what it is though, all of my favorite pizza places are here in PA, and I have had pizza in a lot of places.
    The pizza you described is a fried rectangle type, something like pizza perfect, pizza loven, or sizzle pi up here in pa. There is no place in the country that does pizza like that, and it is one of the best. Our NY style round pizza is usually a hand stretched thicker, chewier crust, and the sauce can't be sweet. Tugos and dough roller use a dough press and sweet sauce. There are a few places up here like that too.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by PlainsPricey106 View Post
    The pizza you described is a fried rectangle type, something like pizza perfect, pizza loven, or sizzle pi up here in pa. There is no place in the country that does pizza like that, and it is one of the best. Our NY style round pizza is usually a hand stretched thicker, chewier crust, and the sauce can't be sweet. Tugos and dough roller use a dough press and sweet sauce. There are a few places up here like that too.
    Yeah! I am not a fan of the sweet sauce, although a lot of people love it. You sound like you're from my area. I love sizzle pi but my favorite fried crust is pizza heaven. Also love sabatini's pizza. I think I just like pizza a lot! But if I get pizza in OC, the only place I have ever been for it has been Pino's. I think it's pretty decent, too. In the recent years I have only been going down for 3-4 days so we don't usually get any pizza anyway, but if I want a late night snack then I get Pino's. Also because it's close to the place we stay.

As for my worst dining experiences... I have eaten at both Nick's ribs and JR's Ribs and I just didn't like either. I wouldn't really call either of them very good BBQ. At both places, I pretty much just received a piece of dry chicken with some barbeque sauce slathered on top. I don't think i'd go to either of them again.

A lot of people give good reviews to BJ's on the water, and the food is pretty good, but I don't know, they need new carpeting in there or something. Last time I went 2 years ago it just smelled musty and moldy and old. I guess something like that is just off-putting for me.

I will say in my recent years I haven't had really many bad meals that I can recall.

Sand Dollars
    Plains & Noelle,

I think you cracked the code - the sweeter sauce.

Now, it makes perfect sense.

Believe it or not, in all the years I've been going to OC, I don't think I've ever tried Pino's.

Our go-to used to be Captain's when they had a spot in West OC.

Sand Dollars
    Noelle, BJ's has been remodeled and is lovely now. And the food is delicious. They got rid of the bar in the sunroom and all the hanging toys, etc.
    As for pizza, they haven't made square cut pizza anywhere in my corner of PA in years. Our personal preference is a thinner crust, wood fired pizza with a good sauce and plenty of cheese. Tugo's pizza ............ couldn't bite through the crust. Like shoe leather. It was really bad.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    Which Tugos did you go to?

My fiance and I have been to the Tugos in West OC three times since November, and loved it each time.

I agree about BJ's. I remember going there a while back (late 90s maybe), and I wasn't impressed. My fiance convinced me to give it a shot in February, and I was blown away at how good the food and the atmosphere was.