+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Sand Dollars

2015 Season. What are you all looking forward to?

Just booked our 2015 trip and I am super excited!! We usually go down for a long weekend, but I wasn't sure it would happen this year. We are getting married next fall and my future husband is a 2nd year medical student so I didn't think we would have the time/money to get away this year, but we were able to fit in a trip and it's actually a day longer than we usually go! Previously we would leave very early Friday then come home late Sunday, but we found a good price and are staying until Monday this year. I'm a big planner, so once we book I always go crazy and read tons of reviews and make a list of old favorites and new places we want to go to.

Anyhow, just wanted to make a post out of excitement and share some stuff I am looking forward to. And hear what everyone else is looking forward to. First I am most excited to go to oc obviously! Second I would have to say Hooked. We had an amazing meal there last year and definitely plan on going back, also the Bayside Skillet, we love it there! Usually we hit an AUCE buffet but this year we might just do an AUCE crab thing instead, or at least go somewhere that offers it because he wants to have it, I don't think I would be able to eat all that crab! Oh, I am also looking forward to Fractured Prune and a few orange crushes (not at the same time ).

"New stuff" I am looking forward to are the new breweries popping up. Last year we went to the Ocean City Brewing Company but it had just opened recently so they didn't have much and didn't have a full menu yet, so I'd like to get back there and try some stuff as we really liked what we did have. Also looking forward to trying out the Blu Crabhouse & Raw bar, I've seen some good reviews on it.

What's everyone else looking forward to?

edit: Almost forgot about coconut chocolate chip ice cream! With all my local ice cream places reopening for the season, I have been craving a cone from Dumsers!
    Last edited by Noelle07; 03-18-2015 at 09:42 AM.

Sand Dollars
    Congrats on the upcoming wedding. I am looking forward to all the usual things that go with OC, but more than anything WARM WEATHER!!!! Maybe I am just getting old but these winters are harder to take every year. Went to OC brewery late summer and they had their act together by then. They serve specialty eggrolls (Philly Cheesesteak, buffalo chicken...etc) that are delicious. If you haven't tried Barn 34 give it a shot. We have only been there for breakfast but both times it was awesome. They are the same owners as the old Pirate's Den.

Sand Dollars
    Thanks for the suggestion DeMan !! I just checked out their menu and I am putting it on my list of places to try. I think I remember passing the building last year and wanting to go but not making it there. Looks like a nice place! And I am definitely looking forward to warm weather as well. Up here in PA this morning it was 25 degrees when I woke up!

Sand Dollars
    I could write a book about what I'm looking forward to the most in my summer OC trip. I'd say, shorts and tee shirt weather and sunsets after 8pm will be nice.

Trimper's Rides, The Wrapper, Polish Water Ice, having a cocktail at The Frog & The Inlet Bar, eating and drinking outside, orange crushes, and a sunset cruise. These are things I can't do during my winter or spring trips.

Noelle, I'm not sure what it'll be like this summer, but I was both the OC Brewing Company and 45th St Taphouse (they're opening up on 4th St and the Boardwalk soon), and I got flight decks at each. Also, check out the Backshore (formerly Shorebilly) Brewing Co next to Hammerheads at 10th St on the Boards.

Sand Dollars
    We don't go to OC "in season"on a regular basis. We prefer the warmth and quietness of the off season. That being said, we're ready for Cruisin weekend, but VERY disappointed in their choice for concert artists this year. They haven't had a concert in several years because of the construction at the Convention Center. This year is the first since the CC reopened and we were hopeful for a great concert. We've seen the Temptations, the Four Tops, Herman's Hermits and many other great old artists in past years. So who did they get? The Doo Wop Project! WHO??? Apparently a couple of guys who performed in Jersey Boys (the show,not the movie) got together to form this group. Bikefest has the Doobie Brothers and REO Speedwagon coming for their event. I am seriously considering a trip to OC just for the Doobie Brothers alone! Anyhow, I'm done venting. I said the same thing on their FB page and they deleted it. lol
    I'm looking forward to NO SMOKING on the boardwalk and beach this year since it was passed! YEA!!!
    We are definitely going to try Touch of Italy on 68th in the Holiday Inn. Can't wait for that one. And we'll probably try the new General's Kitchen at Galaxy 66. We're looking forward to a burger at the Frog Bar, a good helping of HOT Fisher's carmelcorn (that's the way I love it), and just sitting on the beach and feeling the warm breeze, the sound of the seagulls, and children laughing and squealing while they play.
    I'm so ready for warmth and sunshine and OC!!
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    Z06RL: Wow ! I didn't know they banned smoking on the beach/boardwalk. I am thankful for that. I used to be a smoker, so I understand the addiction, but I hate walking down the boardwalk when it's crowded, nervous that someone is about to burn me. So many times I witnessed close calls of children running and almost running into a lit cigarette. A crowded boardwalk or beach is no place to smoke a cigarette.

Sand Dollars
    May I suggest Captain Joes Shrimp Boat off of Route 611 in West Ocean City. They don't offer an AYCE crab deal but buy 1/2 a bushell and it's the same thing for probably a fraction of the cost of most AYCE crab places. One thing I can say is their crabs are top notch and they go out of their way to please their customers.

I can relate to your comment also about Cigs on the boardwalk. Years ago my son was burned in the arm by a careless woman. Her reaction was to tell my son to be more careful where he was walking even though she walked into him. Needless to say it took all of my self control in that situation.

Enjoy your trip, I know you won't be disappointed no matter what you all do in OC

Sand Dollars
    If you're into micro brews, and you find yourself needing a break from the hustle & bustle of OC, you can always take a short over to the Burley Oak Brewery, in Berlin.

I think they produce some of the best craft beers you can get at the shore.

Also worth mentioning - OC brewing was so busy this past weekend, that they were on a wait to seat, & running out of items on their menu... I know you had a less than positive experience here, but I suggest giving them another chance this year.
    Last edited by DeanM; 03-18-2015 at 08:28 PM.

Sand Dollars
    Flaggerjohn, I'm glad you reminded me about Captain Joes. We had that on our list too. I'm going to need more than 4 days!!

Here's the latest on the smoking ban:

The Dispatch
    Tuesday, March 17, 2015
    City Council Finalizes Beach, Boardwalk Smoking Ordinance
    Joanne Shriner
    Staff Writer
    OCEAN CITY –It is final. Smoking on the beach and Boardwalk is restricted to designated smoking areas in Ocean City.
    An ordinance to amend Chapter 30 of the City Code titled Entitled Environment to restrict the use of tobacco or nicotine smoke and vapor to designate smoking areas came before the Mayor and City Council on Monday evening for final approval.
    The ordinance states, “It is the intent of the Mayor and City Council of Ocean City to protect the public from involuntary exposure to environmental tobacco smoke and vapor in certain areas open to the public.”
    The ordinance lists smoking and vaping being illegal in public parks including Ocean Bowl Skate Park, Ocean City Tennis Center on 61st St. and Coastal Hwy., the playgrounds at Bayside Park also known as the Downtown Recreation Complex, the tennis courts on 3rd St., Robin Park, Little Salisbury Park, Northside Park, Gorman Park, North Surf Park and Sunset Park.
    The ordinance also states, smoking and vaping is illegal on Atlantic Avenue except within 15 feet of designated smoking areas. Designated smoking locations will be located on the beach at each street from the Inlet to the Delaware line with a few exceptions, and marked with proper receptacles for discarding cigarette butts.
    Atlantic Avenue is defined as being comprised of the beach, including the ramps, wooden railings, the Boardwalk, concrete tram lane, ramps extending westward and eastward from the Boardwalk, decks extending eastward and westward from the Boardwalk, the seawall, tables, benches but excluding the Inlet Parking Lot.
    The ordinance also includes smoking and vaping being illegal within a bus shelter or within 15 feet thereof. The law sets the maximum penalty to a municipal infraction of up to $500 if found smoking or vaping in any unlawful area.
    The Mayor and City Council voted 5-0 to approve the ordinance in its second reading with council members Wayne Hartman and Matthew James absent.
    “To everybody, a job well done. We all came together and did a great job,” Council President Lloyd Martin said.
    Mayor Rick Meehan also commended staff and the council in passing the ordinance.
    “There was very little controversy over this ordinance,” he said. “Moving forward, we will hit some bumps along the way, and I know I will be receiving a lot of emails this summer but hopefully it will move forward smoothly. After the first year everybody should become acclimated.”
    Last April, the Mayor and Council first broached the smoking ban issue and voted 5-2 to restrict smoking on the beach effective May 1, 2015 and directed staff to prepare an implementation plan. As a result, a Smoking Policy Committee, comprised of town staffers and other community representatives, was tasked with developing an implementation plan.
    The resulting plan presented in January included a designated smoking area on the beach near each street end from the Inlet to the Delaware line, and an outright ban on the Boardwalk is planned with smokers being asked to head to the designated sites on the beach to smoke. The recommendation also included Electronic Smoking Devices (ESDs), also known as vaping, which have proliferated recently.
    At that time the council voted to approve the designated smoking areas on the beach ultimately banning smoking from the Boardwalk, as well as include bus shelters.
    The council voted to approve the ordinance in first reading on February 19 but excluded the Inlet Parking Lot from Atlantic Avenue’s definition, included the definition of a bus shelter, changed from 20 feet of a designated smoking area to 15 feet, and added Sunset Park to the list of violations.
    The designated smoking areas on the beach will include bright orange receptacles with lids that display the town’s new restricted smoking logo. There will be one receptacle per street located on the beach east of the sea wall in the Boardwalk area and 50 feet north of the street end and east of and 50 feet north of the dune entrances in the area north of the Boardwalk.
    The receptacles, signage and educational materials associated with implementing the new smoking policy comes with a price tag of around $40,000. The Maryland Cancer Fund has awarded the town a one-time grant of $18,762 for materials, and the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene has committed the balance of the cost.
    Last edited by Z06RL; 03-18-2015 at 09:53 PM.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    What am I looking forward to? Moving to OC in the fall! I plan on calling Ocean City my permanent home come August/September of this year. Unfortunately, I won't have much "vacation" time there this summer as I am saving for a house (money and vacation time). The times I will be visiting will most likely be random 2-3 day trips for house-hunting. Mostly though, I'm just looking forward to warm weather, shorts, swimming, beach, nights on the boardwalk, etc.