Thread: Moving to OC!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Sand Dollars

Smile moving to OC

We just bought a home in OC to be our retirement home. I am retired and my husband is going to retire in about 1 1/2 years. We live in Baltimore county and have always gone to OC for vacation. We debated retiring in Florida, Myrtle beach, Delaware and OC. Our children and grandchildren all live in the Baltimore area and so Florida and Myrtle beach would be too far away. We looked in Delaware and didn't like anything we looked at, they were more expensive than OC and not as nice. Yes you get the tax break in Delaware, but you pay more for other things so they get you one way or another. I know a couple that moved to Dagsboro, DE and they were shocked that their water bill was hundreds of dollars. Our taxes are less on our individual home in OC than what we pay for a townhome in Baltimore county. Our homeowners insurance including flood insurance is less than we are paying in Baltimore county with NO flood insurance. We LOVE our place in OC and can't wait to move there permanently! We bought on the bayside.

Sand Dollars
    Thanks, DeMan, you make very valid points.

CBayWolf, I know living in OC is not like living in a normal town and honestly, that's kind of the draw for me. If I wanted to live in a normal town, I might as well stay here in New Castle (although "normal" is disputable). I'm not really worried about winter. I'm more of an introvert and I spend a lot of time indoors during the winters now, so it's not like I'm going to be missing out on a whole lot of "action" in the wintertime, living in OC. I also like to save my vacation time for the warmer/nicer parts of the year, so I wind up working a lot of the winter away, leaving less time for boredom. Yes, I'm younger than a good portion of the year-round residents but that doesn't bother me. If I need the company of folks my age, there are other towns within driving distances that I can hang out in. A lot of my Baltimore-based friends have moved out a bit from Baltimore, so I'm used to traveling a bit to see friends anyways. Good, hearty advice, though. Much appreciated!

Sand Dollars
    OCMike you rock for making the decision! We live in Caine Woods and love it. Quiet and safe, but a quick walk/bike to everything plus the beach. It's also pretty high above sea level as far as OC goes. Our house sits at about 7-8 feet above MSL, plus another couple feet of freeboard. Plus you can get in and out of town without ever getting on Coastal. It sure helps get to and from work in the summertime.

FWIW, I am also a much younger person than anyone else around here (23) but love it regardless. You'll make friends if you get out and about during spring and fall for sure.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by sa62039 View Post
    OCMike you rock for making the decision! We live in Caine Woods and love it. Quiet and safe, but a quick walk/bike to everything plus the beach. It's also pretty high above sea level as far as OC goes. Our house sits at about 7-8 feet above MSL, plus another couple feet of freeboard. Plus you can get in and out of town without ever getting on Coastal. It sure helps get to and from work in the summertime.
    I too own a home in Caine Woods. We love it. We live near Columbia, MD (big home with big stress) but are in OC nearly every weekend 9 months/year. In the winter months we are down 1-2 weekends per month. I really love Caine Woods. I am directly on 136th and if I had to do it again, I'd stay off of a "main" road like I am on now. Bike week, Cruisin week, etc.... can get loud. Other than that, I would never consider anywhere but Caine Woods. There are lots of "affordable" homes in Caine Woods. (Affordable being relative....I am used to the Howard County housing market which is nuts.)

OC isn't what it used to be 20 years ago. There is life in the off season. Oftentimes, I've thought...."I can sell my main home and buy a very nice home in Caine Woods with the equity I have in my current home" and really de-stress my life. My issues are:
    - the schools are not as good as the schools I have access to now (My current elementary school is a blue ribbon school).
    - there really isn't an option for my wife and I to get jobs in our fields for anywhere near as much as we make now. (I am a computer engineer, she is a computer programmer) We'd be looking at a 50% cut in pay.
    Last edited by Cobra617; 03-21-2015 at 01:43 AM.

Sand Dollars
    For years I too dreamed of relocating to here...

While visiting in OC, last weekend, I was made a quite lucrative job offer. The working conditions would be the same, same hours same bring home pay, ect. ..When weighing all things (housing & closing my business) out financially, it would be either a push, or a slight concession. However when now actually faced with a REAL possibility of doing this, I find myself torn, and to be honest afraid. I've built up a extremely successful business from the ground up, and THAT is not an easy thing to turn my back on and walk away + I still have an 11yr old son, who would have to be uprooted

My hats off to you Mike, as I simply just can't see myself making the jump, despite it being a perfect opportunity to become a full time resident, here in our resort town.... Although, I'd be lying if I said the whole thing, didn't put a little extra spring in my step, this past week.

Congratulations again!

Sand Dollars
    Dean, you don't get do overs. One time around and that's it. Go for it! I wish I had that option.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Z06RL View Post
    Dean, you don't get do overs. One time around and that's it. Go for it! I wish I had that option.
    Very true.... guess I'm also struggling figuring out what I REALLY want ~ nice to have options though!

Sand Dollars
    Z makes a great point, you only get one time around. That's kind of my thought process in doing this. Dean, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't afraid or intimidated by the thought of moving there. I have equal amounts of excitement and anxiety over the whole thing. I don't know what happened exactly to make me want to go through with this, whether it was moving even closer (but not close enough) to the beach than I've ever lived, change in job location, or maybe I'm just realizing I'm not getting any younger and I want to spend at least a few good years in OC in my "younger years". Like I said, I've always wanted to live in OC and the cards are aligning in a way that I can make it possible, so I figure I'll make a go of it...for better or worse.

The only issue I foresee is financing. I've looked around a bit and there isn't much available in means of single-family homes, at least that I'm interested in or within my budget. That leaves my next choice, which is a manufactured home, which I see lots of people saying they are hard to finance. I don't really want a condo or a townhouse but who knows, they might be my only options. Hopefully, I can find a lender out there that will loan on manufactured homes. I've seen some really nice ones that are available in Montego Bay. I've got a few months to shop around, so we shall see.

Sand Dollars
    Dean.....only you know what's best, but since you put it out there...... Congrats on building up a successful business. Not easy to do in this environment. I have owned my business for 20 years (started from scratch)....that, as well as family, kids and future grandkids keep me from making the fulltime plunge. We have a great place in OC and are there about every other weekend during the offseason. Even more often if the weather is nice. We are fortunate to live only two hours away.

Depending on the type of business you have, maybe you can have the best of both worlds...ie open a satellite office in OC, work from home (OC) or split time between two places...etc. It is tough to do and like I said only you know whether it is possible. You certainly don't want to risk a successful business if it seems like a longshot. You seem like a good guy, like OCMike, I wish you the best.

Sand Dollars
    You should seriously look into Caine Woods. We have gotten lots of pamphlets and cards lately regarding inexpensive houses for sale in our neighborhood.