Thread: Moving to OC!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Sand Dollars
    OCmike---If that's what your looking for, then go for it!! At 34 I can see your point.. After spending so much time in OC, we just got tired of being in the middle of all the "action".

Sand Dollars

OC help

Quote Originally Posted by OCGuy View Post
    OCMike,
    You may want to consider the residential areas like Caine Woods at the northwest end of town. Many of these are really nice communities with (for OC) reasonably priced places and little to no HOA/Condo fees, freeing up more $ for the pruchae price. If you are in a condo, townhouse, or similar, be sure that the HOA has maintained ample reserves. Several places in OC have not, and owners have been hit with huge ($10,000+) special assessments to cover things like roof replacements, railing replacements, painting, and wood rot repair.
    OC Mike,

Unusual for this forum, I am a native and a realtor. Let me know if I can help.

Sand Dollars

Oc locations

Hi Mike,

I moved here 10 years ago after wanting to live at the beach my whole life. There are many great areas in and around oc, including downtown, midtown and uptown, ocean side, bayside, west oc, the pines, berlin. It really is just a matter of preference. I am a realtor with coldwell banker and I can tell you now is a great time to buy. Interest rates are still low, we've seen some movement in the market, which is prompting some owners that were holding on, to put their properties on the market. This influx of fresh properties is keeping supply levels pretty steady thereby. A good realtor can help you sift through this to locate the property of your dreams. If you think I might be able to help, please contact me at harry.hammond@ cbmove.com. If not i wish you the best of luck and encourage you to find a realtor you can be comfortable with.

David Hammond

Sand Dollars
    " I'd rather have a nice place in OC (where I can retire) than a dumpy primary and dumpy vacation home."
    That makes sense to me. I have a second home (condo) in OC. It's not often I'm asked for advice, usually give it unsolicited . First, I would tell you to take your time, don't rush into anything. Decide what part of town you'd like to be in and look there. It's important to be able to walk in the summer, avoiding traffic is key, so choose your favorite area/s. We are midtown and very happy with the location. Second, buy the largest place you can afford. If you are year round, you will want some space. If you have a place, you will get visitors in the summer. Try to get something with a view of water. Third, it's a good thing you are working in the winter. The winters are harsh and cold and you'll find there's not a lot to do if you can't be outside. Last, I think you'll find that OC has a lot to offer it's residents, even us summer residents. There's a sense of community. Check around and you'll find different groups to join, revolving around hobbies you may have. Oh and get a dog if don't already have one. They love the beach even tho it's off limits in the summer - too hot for them anyway.
    Enjoy your search and congratulations!

Sand Dollars
    Like the large majority of the population here, I'm a transplant. I vacationed here every year, literally birth until I was in my late 30s. I moved here because my parents retired nearby and I've always loved the beach. I cherish the tourists because in reality without them, most of us wouldn't be getting paychecks. Having said that (and please don't bash me for what I'm about to say, readers...I do love this town), you have to make sure you think about whether the chaos of summer, which has grown into several of the shoulder months, is worth the 3 or 4 months of serenity you'll have off season. While you are certain now that you want to be in the middle of it all, 4 or 5 months of constant noise, crowds, traffic (and accidents) can be a bit overwhelming. I live on the north end of town, and I can still hear cars and commotion from Coastal Highway into the wee hours of the morning. May I be so bold as to suggest you may want to rent for a full year, experience every day of the week in all seasons, before you decide to definitely buy? That way, you would know what it was like to go from full-throttle to a tiny quiet (sometimes virtual ghost town) in the colder seasons. Good luck and congratulations!

Sand Dollars

OC Bound :)

Hi Mike,

I remember the first time my husband suggested that we move to the beach .... 17 years ago. It's been a fantastic adventure and I love it here. I live in Ocean Pines, but work as a Realtor in Ocean City. I noticed that you were from New Castle, DE. What High School did you graduate from. I'm also a New Castle Delawarean ...

If you want to get to know the area, interveiw a few Real Estate Agents that will give you the ins and outs of buying and living at the beach. I'd love to help you out.

All the best,

Donna Lewis Stiles
    www.TheBeachHomeAgent.com
    Donna Lewis Stiles
    The Beach Home Agent

Sand Dollars
    Thanks for the advice, Donna. I actually grew up in Baltimore and graduated from Eastern Technical High School. I have only been in Delaware since June 2014.

Sand Dollars
    Wow! Since this thread seemed to go viral on Facebook, I have to say, there are a lot of haters on OC. I'm not really deterred from my goal but I just notice there seems to be a lot of folks jaded by OC. I have to wonder if people that tried to make it in OC, moved there with unrealistic expectations. I think a lot of society pumps things up in their heads to be more spectacular than reality. I know Ocean City isn't perfect and there are going to be quirks about living in a resort town. I don't think it's any worse than any other town I've lived in. I grew up In Baltimore, a city with very high crime, over-crowding and poverty. I'm not trying defend OC, I just think it gets a bad rep with some people because they expected way too much.

I like to think of myself as very level-headed and reasonable. I know moving to OC isn't going to be some magical change in my life and it's going to be roses and unicorns from here on out. A lot of where you live is what you make of it, I've learned that over the years. Heck, I moved to New Castle, DE 9 months ago without really even exploring the town much. Dumb idea, I know, and I don't like it here. I never really expected to like it here, though. I think mostly because my heart has always been in OC. The move to New Castle was purely for a work relocation and that's it. I couldn't see myself purchasing a home here. Now, I have the chance to move somewhere I've always wanted to and I want to make a go of it. Maybe it will be a mistake, maybe it won't. I need to find out for myself, either way.

Sand Dollars
    Mike...Don't worry about the facebook haters. People will always bash your choices through social media. Weak people like to flex their "E-muscles" anonymously. I applaud you for putting yourself out there and looking for advice. I have learned that most online haters bash because of jealousy. You are able to take a shot at your dream while they are stuck hitting the keyboard in their parents basement. Good luck on your search!!!

Sand Dollars
    Mike:

I've been a condo owner in OC for over 10 years, and I love the Spring/Fall (shoulder seasons), and most of the Summer aspects- but I'm wondering if you've ever stayed down there for a week or 2 in the off-season? I had a friend who decided to move to Bethany a few years back (he was a Realtor) and it was an easy move- but being a younger person (he was 34 at the time), he didn't think about the off-seasons (just how much he liked the beach), and ended up moving back after a few years. Don't get me wrong, I love the beach- but the Winters can be harsh with constant high winds, and very little to do for someone your age. And it seems like the majority of the town is desolate in the Winter (although that has gotten better even in the last 10 years).

But it's not like living in a normal town (in either the Summer OR Winter) as the summers are obviously over-crowded, and the Winter can sometimes feel like you're living in isolation- especially when you understand that they're aren't a lot of "younger" people that live down there full-time- and there aren't a lot of activities that you might be accustomed to doing. I would take some other poster's advice, and possibly try to rent down there (at least through one Winter to make sure it's the right thing for you)- b/c it can also be rough when it comes time to sell as there are a million condos in OC, and it's not always an easy sell. Finding a place to rent in the Winter months will be way less expensive than finding a place in the Summer on the peninsula.

I don't know you from Adam, but at your age, I would just want to make sure you're thinking about what it will be like all year around- as it will most likely be way different from what you're used to.