Thread: Moving to OC!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Sand Dollars

Moving to OC!

So, I've finally decided to take the plunge and move to Ocean City. I'm looking to purchase a home and move around August/September of this year. I know there is a difference between living there and vacationing there but honestly, there is no where else I'd like to live in the Delmarva area. I grew up in Baltimore and I have family and friends there but it is too far away from my job. Baltimore would probably be the only other area I would consider buying a house in but like I said, it's too far for work. I mean, I'd love to live in say Key West or maybe even southern California but I don't want to have to travel so far to see friends and family. Living in Ocean City, I get the perks of a resort town, year round and I'm only 2-3 hours from most of my friends and family. Ocean City seems like the best choice for me, in regards to distance between family, friends and work.

Ever since I was a kid, I can remember wanting to live in OC. My grandparents had a place there and I spent a lot of vacations there, year round. I know there can be headaches living in a resort town, especially in peak-season but I think I will be able to tolerate it. I think the trade-off of living there alone, will be worth it. My thoughts are...people come to OC to vacation, to enjoy themselves. Who wouldn't want to experience that everyday?
    I digress, though. My real point in starting this thread is to reach out to the locals and second home owners that are on this forum.

I'm wondering if there is any advice the locals/second home owners could give me on relocating and buying a home? Are there more ideal times to buy in OC? Are there extra taxes/expenses when purchasing a home in OC? What is the typical cost of flood insurance? I could go on with the questions but without making this post too lengthy, I guess I'm just asking for any advice or tips some of you may have, like things you found out once you moved into town, or expenses you might have not expected. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Sand Dollars
    Mike,

Congrats on living the dream.

The only advice I could offer is to buy in West Ocean City. You can likely get more property at a better value, and your property taxes won't be nearly as high as they would be in Ocean City.

Sand Dollars
    I have no advice. Just wanted to say congrats! I know I'm jealous.

Sand Dollars
    OCMike.....my advice is to know up front what you are in for, cost wise. Are you retired? Do you need to find work there? I see you live in Northern Delaware. I do too, but we have a second home in OC. Property taxes are much higher in Worcester County than they are in New Castle County. If you will be buying a condo remember to include the condo fee into your budgeting, also make sure the condo has the amenities you desire (for instance if you work out you may want a condo with a fitness facility to save $ on a gym membership). We spend sooo much time in OC and love every minute of it. We may decide to retire there. It will be close enough to the kids and future grandkids but there is nothing like waking up every morning, grabbing a cup of coffee and looking at the ocean.

Good luck!!!

Sand Dollars
    My advice is to buy in DE. I just did, Ocean View. 10 minutes to OC! MD can eat you up in taxes! and you get nothing in return. I still own a condo in OC, but will get rid of it soon, hopefully. Have been going to OC for many, many years and cannot come up with a single reason to live there vs around to corner in DE!!

Sand Dollars
    Highball.....as you can see from my previous post I agree with much of what you said....however...it depends on what you are looking for. If you want to be right on the ocean and within walking distances to bars, restaurants etc.then a condo in OC is better and probably for the most part cheaper than trying to find something similar in DE. If you want to live inland a couple miles then I would agree with you, DE is the better deal. Despite the name, you need to drive to the beach from Ocean View. Like I said, it depends on what lifestyle you are looking for.

Sand Dollars
    As I'm not a local, and have never purchased property in OC, I can't give you any advice, but I've read your posts for years, and know that this IS something you've had your heart set on for a while now, so - congratulations!

Sand Dollars
    DeMan,

Thanks for the tips. No, I am way far off from retirement...LOL. I am 34 years old and yes I do work in DE. My plan is to commute back and forth. I currently rent in DE but I don't really like the area I'm in, so I would never consider buying a home here. My plan is to purchase a home in OC and rent a room in DE when I need to be in the area for work (my work schedule and vacation time allow for a good amount of time at home). I do expect property taxes to be higher than DE. I actually used to own a home in Aberdeen, MD. I'm not really looking for a condo, so I'm not really concerned with amenities or condo fees. I wouldn't rule out a condo completely but it would absolutely have to be a top floor. I can't stand hearing someone stomp around above me...especially since you never know who could be renting the place above you. I'm primarily looking for a single-family/mobile/modular home or even a townhouse. I really like the Montego Bay area and I have my eyes on a few places there. I know they have HOA fees and such but I know they are low, comparatively.

Highball/Kds,

There's no question about it, I want to live in the middle of it all, at least on the main strip that is. I don't need to be on the boardwalk but I want to be in OC proper, not WOC, not Delaware. I know there are financial benefits to living "close" to OC as opposed to living "in" OC but I'm not moving down there to be close to it. I want to be able to walk to the beach, bus, stores and restaurants. I already live close in theory, I mean, in less than 90 minutes, I can be on the beach of Rehoboth from where I currently am. To me, moving to Ocean View or Milton or any other Delaware shore area, is just moving from one DE spot to another, I still have to drive to get to OC. I know to some it may not make sense but for me, nothing beats being in OC, right off Coastal Highway. That's what I've always wanted and that's what I intend to get. I couldn't see myself living just outside of OC.

Thanks for the advice!

Sand Dollars
    Thanks, Dean. Your post slipped right in while I was typing my response...LOL. You are right, I have had my heart set on this for a while. In fact, I've pretty much wanted to live there ever since I was a kid (what kid wouldn't?). I guess some people grow out of that as they get older and realize it's just a dream, I just never did. I've always been determined to live there or at least have a vacation home there, since I can remember. Since I can only afford one decent/nice place, I figure why not invest in OC? I'd rather have a nice place in OC (where I can retire) than a dumpy primary and dumpy vacation home.

Sand Dollars
    OCMike,
    You may want to consider the residential areas like Caine Woods at the northwest end of town. Many of these are really nice communities with (for OC) reasonably priced places and little to no HOA/Condo fees, freeing up more $ for the pruchae price. If you are in a condo, townhouse, or similar, be sure that the HOA has maintained ample reserves. Several places in OC have not, and owners have been hit with huge ($10,000+) special assessments to cover things like roof replacements, railing replacements, painting, and wood rot repair.