+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Sand Dollars
    Hmmmm. I wonder if they will be offering eggs and mimosa's? LOL.

Sand Dollars
    I lived in OC from 83 to 89. Was the Generals Kitchen where they made some kind of waffle that was smothered with hash browns, bacon, chipped beef and who knows what else?

Sand Dollars
    If you like General's you'll like Jimmy's Kitchen in Fenwick. I believe that the owner of Jimmy's worked at General's for years.
    I actually prefer Jimmy's to General's. Parking is better than General's (well their previous location at least), but the wait can be bad in season. I went a couple of weeks ago on a Sunday and there was a wait. Waiting in the summer can be pleasant. But waiting in the winter when it is bitterly cold sucks.

Sand Dollars
    I visited their new location last week and everything seems business as usual. Food was delicious and came out quick. The place is small but a few tables larger than their previous location. There was a mixture of old school GK and modern bar/club decor. I had a high-top table on the side of the restaurant with a great view of Coastal Hwy. Everything was pretty much the same except for some of the decor and the location. I did notice that they seem to have dropped the "House of Chipped Beef" title from their name. I asked a waitress about it but she didn't really have an answer other than it was probably forgotten due to the rush to get the place open.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by OCMike View Post
    I visited their new location last week and everything seems business as usual. Food was delicious and came out quick. The place is small but a few tables larger than their previous location. There was a mixture of old school GK and modern bar/club decor. I had a high-top table on the side of the restaurant with a great view of Coastal Hwy. Everything was pretty much the same except for some of the decor and the location. I did notice that they seem to have dropped the "House of Chipped Beef" title from their name. I asked a waitress about it but she didn't really have an answer other than it was probably forgotten due to the rush to get the place open.
    Maybe they finally realized that they are not that good....

Sand Dollars
    Just some more information for those that would like to know.

As it turns out, the Owner of General's Kitchen did about $40,000 in renovations to the old location just last year, apparently the landlord who is friends with the chef who formerly owned coach's diner (now seabay cafe) saw this as a great opportunity to not renew the lease for General's Kitchen.

Kind of a scummy business move if you ask me.

Now Coach's will occupy the location that General's Kitchen had once occupied and General's Kitchen will be at the bottom of Galaxy 66.

Sand Dollars
    J...I had heard the same thing which is why I will never patronize the new tenant there. I think GK's chipped beef is awesome as is there other breakfast items. I usually cook breakfast when I am down but if we go out it is always GK or Barn 34.

Sand Dollars
    We paid a visit to GK mid-May. I think the food is a little bit better than at the old location; good eats all the same. The prices are still reasonable and there is definitely more room. Having said that, their was still a line to get in (about 11 AM). I think there were 5 or 6 parties ahead of us and the wait was 15-20 minutes. I'm wondering what is it going to be like peak summer. Also, you are right in the sun with nothing to shade it. Too bad the entrance couldn't be out back where at least there is shade in the morning and a good view of the bay.

Sand Dollars
    How early do they open for breakfast?

Sand Dollars
    They are open 6:30am - 1:30pm everyday except for Wednesdays, on which they are closed.