+ Reply to Thread
    Sand Dollars

History of this Forum

Can someone refresh my memory:

When did this forum start? Isn't this the second instance of the forum (e.g. it moved from some "system" to this one at some point)?

Scanning the messages online seem to go back to 2001-ish but I recollect discussions prior to that. Maybe in the "old system"

Anyway, I ask because I was just thinking over the weekend how much I've gained from this board and how it's helped me plan for great vacations (and avert some of the OC pitfalls). We started kicking around dates on this, that and the other thing but 2001 didn't mesh in my mind. (And I was hoping/thinking there was an older archive but probably not?)

Sand Dollars
    This version was launched about 3 or 4 years ago. As for when the forum actually started.........I don't know. I've been on here a long long time though.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    Not sure when it started, but I've been here since 2006, and it seems a few posters have been here since 2003. The oldest post I could find was this one (http://www.oceancity.com/forums/show...oogie-Boarding) which started in July 2001. User ECWA25 seems to have joined in June 2001: http://www.oceancity.com/forums/member.php?9946-ECWA25 and has the earliest join date I could find.

This version of the site is at least the 3rd version of the site since 2006. Each of the past 2 changes each seemed to decrease the level of use which then slowly built back up again. The site is still much less active than it was a few years ago. The new versions preserved the old content, but many of the message threads got messed up one way or another (e.g., posts got out of order, picts lost, links broke).

Sand Dollars
    My membership goes back to March 2003 and the first post I find from me is in that timeframe. Looking at that message and ones around that timeframe seem to me to have NOT been my first forum discussions but who knows. I didn't walk through all the posts -- not even I find myself that interesting. But if they got messed up date wise that could confirm it. Maybe I had a different ID before joining as pghDave in 2003 ...

I got started looking simply because I was trying to recollect when we stayed at which hotels in our early years and figured I had posted on here about them. We pieced our first OC vacation as being in July 98.

Sand Dollars
    There are VERY few new members on here. Nearly every post is by someone who has been a forum member for a number of years (regulars). Old farts.........like me.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    I was Kwhit back in 2002!.....maybe it was 2006...I know someone is gonna research this.....let me know...I'm to lazy to do it myself!!!!
    Last edited by kdog2; 09-30-2014 at 02:44 PM.

Sand Dollars
    I remember joining this forum in the Spring of 2005. Something happened when the switched over to the new forum and I was forced to redo my login so it actually shows me active since 2007. It's been a good forum, I've really found some great places to visit so I hope we can keep it going and hopefully drag in some new members.

Sand Dollars
    OCGuy is correct, this is the 3rd version of the forum that I can remember, and while it's 100% true that activity has decreased with each launch - I believe this last roll out has been harder to recover from due in part to the rise of social media (Facebook). I think social media took a percentage of our potential members... Before this was popular, people were forced to take part of the forum to engage in discussions about Ocean City... NOW the discussion comes to you via your news feed.

Don't get me wrong, I really like what the site has done w/FB, but (in a way) it really took away from this board - just my opinion.

Sand Dollars
    Dean u hit the nail on the head again!

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by kdog2 View Post
    Dean u hit the nail on the head again!
    Thanks Kdog!

If you look at the numbers of the "likes" & "comments" that the site's FB posts receive, the response is impressive ~ so that tells us that the interest is definitely there....

I'd be willing to bet that there is a large percentage of FB followers that do not normally go on to the sites home page, and probably don't even realize that this forum even exist! We NEED to reach these people, and I believe activity will increase - how much is TBD.