+ Reply to Thread

Best boat charter to see dolphins/whales?

Hello! I'm so glad I found this board. I'm coming to OC in July with my 8 year old daughter and would like to take a boat tour. I specifically want to go on one that will view dolphins and whales - all of them seem to say that they spot dolphins - but I'd like to go on one that SPECIFICALLY looks for them. Anyone have any advice or experiences with different tours? Thanks!

ECWA25
    Sand Dollars

Dolphin Cruise

Hello!
    I went on the OC Princess dolphin cruise. We saw plenty of dolphins. They even followed the boat. The OC Princess has radar and they use it to find the pods of dolphins.
    Have Fun! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

RikkiGirl
    Sand Dollars

Dolphin Cruise

Do you get close enough to see the up close to take a good picture with a 35mm camera? I will be going to O.C. June 17-23.

Rikki

Sand Dollars

viewing dolphins

Rikki, keep in mind you are not going to the local zoo but into the Atlantic Ocean where dolphins roam wild and there are no guarantees of even seeing them let alone getting up close and personal. That being said, dolphins are often very accomadating to their human watchers. They enjoy riding the bow wave of a boat and if that happens you may get some fantastic pictures. If for some reason it is not your day then enjoy the ride and the day.

ECWA25
    Sand Dollars

Dolphins

Hello!
    Dolphins can also be seen for free right from the beach! Depending on where the tide is is how close they will be to the beach. Every day I see them about 9 to 10ish in the morning going south and about 3 to 4ish in the evening going north. These are not exact times because remember they are wild. I've gotten some good pictures. They jump and spin in the air sometimes. (Sea World makes people believe they train them to do that,Ha!)
    Have Fun! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ECWA25
    Sand Dollars

Charters

Hello!
    There are also a few boats that go to Assateague Island. The Assateague Island Adventure and The Discovery. I went on the Discovery, it leaves from the dock at BJ's South.
    If you want a great hands-on experience for adults and kids then this type of cruise is a good pick! They take you to the bayside of Assateague, where people are able to get out of the boat. It is interactive because they give you nets and you take your shoes off and go in the tide pools and little outlets and see what you can find and they will explain what everything is. (They let everything go of course!)
    There also is a hand-on presentation on the Boat too! If you are lucky you will also see the Ponies too!
    I had a great time doing this!
    Have Fun!

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

RikkiGirl
    Sand Dollars

Dolphins

I have seen dolphins from a boat before in Wildwood, NJ. They came right up to the side of the boat. All you had to do was lean over and take a picture. The boat stopped for everyone to see. The problem that day though was it was raining and the camera I had with me broke because it got wet. I was very upset. They were so close, right in front of me. I have also seen dolphins on the OC Rocket last summer, but the dolphins were too far away to get a good picture of them. I also saw dolphins from the Assateague Island beach last summer. They kept swimming by not too far off the coast of the beach. They did jumps in the air and stuff. It was very nice. I would just like to get a very nice picture of them. Since my one time failed.

OC Rocket

I took the OC Rocket last July and did not see any dolphins (I was very disapointed but they are wild) But the ride was fast and fun and I took very interesting pics of some OC architecture and views from the ocean. It was a fun ride..maybe this July I'll see some dolphins.

beachbum21984
    Sand Dollars
    you cant get better than the oc rocket the talbot street pier has everything a sealover could imagine!!