+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Sand Dollars
    Listen, I just want a nice place to take my family. Back in 1999 it was nice, but now it's not. Over the years it has deminished, possibly due to the economy. It would be nice to go and visit a place that is close without all the headaches and disappointments. If you live there, then do something about it. I want to be able to enjoy it once again. Who wouldn't want to have a nice vacation spot that is close by. I hope postings from disappointed tourists motivates the city to step it up and clean up their act. Best!

Sand Dollars
    I grew up going to OC. My family had businesses in OC many years ago. I continue to take my family to OC. I don't share the same opinion as HO. The place is not dirty, there are tons of great restaurants, I've never been hassled by police or been a victim of a crime, we have never had headaches or disappointments. OC is not for everyone. During peak season, it's packed. With this comes noise and minor inconveniences. If OC were what Honest Opinion claims, no one would come.
    Ken

Sand Dollars
    I'm an Ocean City Insider and it's my job to keep up with places and goings on in Ocean City MARYLAND. I'm there A LOT and I try and stay at as many different hotels as I can. I always give my HONEST opinion, good, bad, or in between. Our latest trip was the last week of August for a week in a condo on 77th St. instead of a hotel this time. We visited the boardwalk several times, walked all around the back streets, the bay, and we frequented all parts of OC and even went to Fenwick and up to Bethany.
    NOT ONCE did we see anything offensive (ie, the pole dancer), the was a noticable lack of offensive t shirts on the boardwalk, police presence was everywhere and there wasn't one time I didn't feel safe or enjoy myself. The boardwalk had some litter blowing on it (normal), seagulls were in abundance, the Purple Moose was carding every person who went inside and we sat and watched to see if any younger ones snuck in (none did while we were there). We didn't see any drunks walking the streets, no fights, nothing that concerned me. I'm not trying to paint a rosy picture here because it does still have things that bothered me. The beach WAS dirty where we were staying. Cigarette butts and plastics in the sand made me nauseous. They still sweep the beach at night, but not close enough to the water to pick up the stuff there. So that was a big disappointment. And there were lots of dogs and skateboarders on the boardwalk and neither is allowed till after October 1, and none of the police did anything about it. So OC is NOT perfect.
    As for the hotels, all of the ones we stayed in this year were clean, well taken care of, polite staff, and when I needed anything all I had to do was ask.
    I'd like to know where you have stayed that you found things so bad. If you stayed at one of the Coastal Highway hotels, yes you'll hear the road noise. Also if you're there during a car event you'll get more than your normal noise. But I've never found it to be an issue when I'm in my hotel room with my door locked and the air conditioning on. And if you're on the balcony at night or day and you hear the noise, then what's the difference? You're not sleeping.
    I agree with the other posters. Ocean City is not the place for you. I don't see a purpose to bash such a wonderful town and try and dissuade others from going there. If you're looking for Utopia, I haven't found it yet. But I wish you luck.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars

Cool ocean city is horrible place to vacation

Hmmm not finding this true at all...We go to OC md..at least One weekend or week a month...and HAVE never had any of the issues like the person above,,I find the beachs extremely clean..and we have never had any issues with police...

Sand Dollars
    WOW, I must be a very lucky person. I've been taking my family down there since 1999 and not once have I been held up, had my car broken into, been arrested or strip searched by the police. We've enjoyed excellent crabs from a multitude of places. We've had excellent meals almost every time. While we don't stay in many hotels, the times that we have have been quality stays.

Sand Dollars
    I thought you said you were DONE!!!!

Sand Dollars

I am done, done with ocean city.

Quote Originally Posted by highball View Post
    I thought you said you were DONE!!!!
    I am done, done with ocean city. Your businesses will never get another dime out of me, take that to the bank!

Sand Dollars
    See you next summer. Obey the speed limits!!!

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by DeMan View Post
    See you next summer. Obey the speed limits!!!
    Next summer, not a chance, never in our lifetime. As far as speed limits, what does thy have to do with Ocean city's trashed beaches and rundown resturaunts? The police reference was to point out that the city's focus is more on harassing the tourists for the main purpose of increasing revenue in order to line the pockets of ocean city's government officials, rather than focusing on real crime and spending more money on maintaining and revitalizing the infrastructure and the overall environment. That's our tax dollars going to waste. Remember, I'm also a Maryland resident, those are my tax dollars being flushed down the toilet. The police are there to protect and serve, they are not protecting and only serving themselves. Their time and our tax dollars would be better spent having them is physically walk and clean up the beaches themselves. I guess the old saying is true, that ignorance is bliss. I bet you don't even walk your own nasty beeches or go to your own overpriced low quality restaurants. If you do, you are missing out on a higher quality of life, that's sad. I truly pity you and the rest of the locals there that are oblivious to what real life experiences are about. I'm not saying you have to be rich to enjoy the finer things in life, although it helps, just be aware of better available options. This enables you to make educated choices. You and your family only live once, why not make the best of the time you spend with one another. Real vacation getaways yield amazing long lasting and loving memories. Good luck to you and everyone else, I'll say a prayer that things get better. The grass is greener on the other side. Well, to offer an analogy that relates better, the sandy beaches are amazingly cleaner up the coast, "away from Ocean City."
    Last edited by Honest opinion; 09-24-2014 at 11:25 AM.

Sand Dollars
    You mad, bro?