Thread: Bargain Hunting

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sand Dollars
    Don't want to beat a dead horse - BUT Shoreline has called me several times to see if I would rent for less or a shorter period of time. Less commission is better than no commission!!

Sand Dollars
    I refuse to ever deal with them again.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by highball View Post
    Don't want to beat a dead horse - BUT Shoreline has called me several times to see if I would rent for less or a shorter period of time. Less commission is better than no commission!!

Well I guess that's good, (I guess they're smaller than Coldwell Banker or Holiday that they still actually do this for you)- but I'll tell you this, if they even *need* to call you b/c your summer season is not fully booked, they're not doing a good enough job (or at least nearly as good as you could do for yourself). In 10 years of renting, I've never had an open summer week go unrented- and better yet, I get to screen the people who are going to be staying in my unit. Even if you just want to use an online reservation site to guide your renters to your rental company- it may be in your best interest (normally a rental company will take 1/2 the commission if you send the renter to them, and they still do the key service).

Sand Dollars
    Or, from my own experience, their units are NOT what they're portrayed to be on the internet and people have wised up!
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    I have also used VRBO and found it was a great experience. The owner was friendly and very accomodating. Instead of having to wait until 3:00 to check in, our unit was ready at noon and we were permitted to check in then. On another note, in the 29 years we have been vacationing in OC, I have never tried to bargain on the price of a condo rental. I guess next year I may try that.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Holly'sMom View Post
    I have also used VRBO and found it was a great experience. The owner was friendly and very accomodating. Instead of having to wait until 3:00 to check in, our unit was ready at noon and we were permitted to check in then. On another note, in the 29 years we have been vacationing in OC, I have never tried to bargain on the price of a condo rental. I guess next year I may try that.
    Speaking as an owner, my best guess is that this will only work if it's within a few weeks of the rental date- so you'd probably have to wait until the last minute. I would never change my rates, but I'm not in a position where I *need* to rent, so maybe that's just me- but if you're looking last minute, I would bet you could find someone to bargain with. Although I guess I did adjust my rates *slightly* a couple of times for the perfect "June" renters. I would never rent to HS Seniors (not matter how good they or their parents claim to be)- and I screen heavily during the month of June- but if I know that it's a nice family rental, I will sometimes adjust if I know they seem like responsible people.

Sand Dollars
    I've rented from Coldwell Banker for last 10 years, Easy to pick your a spot from the website. No deposit with the $60 peace of mind insurance.

If you want a deal go May thru first of June or September, temps are same crowds are small. Find a spot you like and get first dibs on it every year.

Angel C. my angent
    Last edited by Hooper; 08-04-2014 at 02:11 PM. Reason: info

Sand Dollars
    It also slows down a lot even for the last 2 weeks in August when many schools are back in session.