Thread: Bargain Hunting

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sand Dollars

Bargain Hunting

Has anyone ever used Long and Foster or Coldwell Banker to get a place in OC. I am looking to see if I can get a bargain for next week by calling one of them and trying to make a deal if any places are still open. I was hoping that since it is last minute they will be open to negotiate the price, but I dont know how much lower they will go or if they will even budge on the prices. I know the rental places in NC, you can sometimes get amazing deals by calling the week before and negotiating lower prices.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by KirkTheJerk View Post
    Has anyone ever used Long and Foster or Coldwell Banker to get a place in OC. I am looking to see if I can get a bargain for next week by calling one of them and trying to make a deal if any places are still open. I was hoping that since it is last minute they will be open to negotiate the price, but I dont know how much lower they will go or if they will even budge on the prices. I know the rental places in NC, you can sometimes get amazing deals by calling the week before and negotiating lower prices.
    I've used Coldwell before. Terry Miller is my contact there. I've also used Century 21 New Horizons. In fact I spoke with them on Friday about getting a discount on units that are open. Some friends may join us on our stay. They said if you book the week before you can typically get 10% off. Although I'd ask for more, it never hurts. We were looking at Unit 209 at the Decatur House. The entire month of August is open. I realize you said next week, but it gives you something to work with. Good luck.

Sand Dollars
    Try Shoreline Properties..

Sand Dollars
    I've used them both and tried what you're going to do with no luck. Sorry, but I've never been able to get a bargain in OC.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    I've used both and just used Long and Foster this month. No deals, but there are places that you can check in and out on dates of YOUR choice, which is what we did. Check in on Thursday and out on Tuesday. Not many places are up for that.

Sand Dollars
    I have used Shoreline several times for friends that wanted last minute reservations. They have come through with a reduced rate 90% of the time. Shoreline will call the property owner and say hey "will ya take a few bucks less for a rental"...... And I have only one - not so good rental!! They are a local realtor and not dealing with the corp crap! If you know what I mean.

Sand Dollars
    i've had a lot of success going through vrbo and dealing with owners personally - I got a $4000 week rental down to $2000, last year!

Sand Dollars
    Well I ended up going with shoreline properties. I got a place listed for 895 down 100 bucks to 795. Whoopie. I cant believe that condo owners dont want to lower their prices. Its Thursday and I am offering to take your place this Sat but you want to hold out for one more day. I tried to low ball some places and shoreline said they would call the owners and ask, but I dont know if they even did. Oh well, I was desperate and wanted to goto OC badly. Dont know what for places I will eat at next week. Will try to let you know when I get back.

Sand Dollars
    Just a thought, but it is still the "in season" period of ocean city and maybe that's why they didn't lower their price too much?
    common sense is not so common

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by KirkTheJerk View Post
    Well I ended up going with shoreline properties. I got a place listed for 895 down 100 bucks to 795. Whoopie. I cant believe that condo owners dont want to lower their prices. Its Thursday and I am offering to take your place this Sat but you want to hold out for one more day. I tried to low ball some places and shoreline said they would call the owners and ask, but I dont know if they even did. Oh well, I was desperate and wanted to goto OC badly. Dont know what for places I will eat at next week. Will try to let you know when I get back.
    That is exactly your problem right there- if you want to "bargain"- you need to be shopping on the sites where owners list the properties themselves- not a giant real estate office. I will guarantee you that they never called the owners and even offered your proposals- it would be too much work for them, and the owners are just one of very many pieces to their giant "pie"- and they probably viewed your call as a nuisance.

Like Dean said, if you want to go this route, check with sites like VRBO or Homeaway.com (and many others like them). You are dealing directly with the owners (usually in real time), and not some middle man (company) that doesn't really care much about the renters or the owners (they just want to get their % fee). I have rented my condo for over 10 years on sites like these- and it's always personal communication. I tried renting the first year using Holiday Real Estate's rental program, and they found me a whopping total of 2 rentals for the entire Summer. After 4 weeks of lousy service (and in the middle of June), I advertised it myself and quickly had the whole Summer completely booked within about 2 weeks. These real estate companies are trying to juggle a thousand properties and they just try to sell whichever rental is next in their queue to fill up, with no regards to the owner's or renter's specific needs.

I personally don't bargain on price, but I know many others that would if they weren't rented up to the last minute.