+ Reply to Thread
    Sand Dollars

Worse than Cruise weekend

Folks,
    Cruise weekend had some issues a few weeks back, but so far the OC Tuner Car and Truck show this weekend is worse than cruise weekend, and it is only Friday. Cars flying down coastal hwy like banshees. Sigh. I own a heavily modified turbo vehicle. I usually come down in an SUV with the family, but this weekend I decided to bring my car. (Inconvenienced the family as my suspension is very stiff) This evening after putting the kids to sleep (and my wife), I went out for a cruise down Coastal. There are so many chuckleheads out there just trying to race me and each other at every light. I just wanted a leisurely cruise with my car and it is crazy out there. I hope that the cops have a field day.I typically drive no more than 5mph over the speed limit. Cars were passing me like I was standing still.
    I understand that these events bring in money, but at the point where everyone else is inconvenienced and lives are put at risk, (with so many people walking at and around Coastal, having cars race is VERY dangerous) that event should be more heavily scrutinized. I am sure that it isn't even the event itself as was the case with cruise weekend. Just random folks showing up acting like idiots because of the event. Sigh.OK, I am done ranting.

Sand Dollars
    Yeah, we hear the same story every car show, but especially this one and the H20I show during Sunfest. But the issues with Cruisin' OC wasn't with the registered cruisers as much as it was the jerks with the big diesel trucks that were in the area for another show. It has to do with the ages of the drivers. These kids come with their cars and experience freedom and want to raise cain. I'm beginning to think that someone should build a racetrack nearby where they can test their cars and boundries legally. Till then, unless OC has a real crack down on this type of activity it's just going to continue and worsen. Because like every kid since time began, if they can get away with something, they'll do it and add to it! It's part of growing up, but when it's not in an appropriate setting, it can result in some bad outcomes. OC isn't the best setting for drag racing.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Z06RL View Post
    Yeah, we hear the same story every car show, but especially this one and the H20I show during Sunfest. But the issues with Cruisin' OC wasn't with the registered cruisers as much as it was the jerks with the big diesel trucks that were in the area for another show. It has to do with the ages of the drivers. These kids come with their cars and experience freedom and want to raise cain. I'm beginning to think that someone should build a racetrack nearby where they can test their cars and boundries legally. Till then, unless OC has a real crack down on this type of activity it's just going to continue and worsen. Because like every kid since time began, if they can get away with something, they'll do it and add to it! It's part of growing up, but when it's not in an appropriate setting, it can result in some bad outcomes. OC isn't the best setting for drag racing.
    Completely agree. The trucks were the culprits during cruise weekend. I only recall the trucks doing stupid things like gunning it at every light. The cruisers are an older more mature crowd. They are perfectly content with contributing to your hearing loss (open headers on a V8 is deafening), but you don't see them driving like imbeciles. The cars last night.....I am still shaking my head at some of the things I saw. I witnessed very little police presence. I only saw one car pulled over. (I went from 142 to the inlet and back up)
    The worst incident that I witnessed, last night... there were 2 cars waiting to make a U turn. They were both revving up their engines to race, they get the arrow and pop the U turn. The one car punches it (rwd car) and starts going sideways. He didn't let off of the throttle. He just didn't want to lose that race at the risk of killing people. I was watching and really wincing as I thought if his tires hook up he might plow into a crowd of people waiting to cross Coastal.
    I am debating going out to "cruise" tonight. I feel like I should since I made my family endure the really stiff suspension in my car for our 3 hour drive. (I guess they owe me since I drive down every weekend in an SUV.....I despise driving the SUV)
    Come to think of it, Corvette weekend was completely tame last year. I don't recall a single issue with a Corvette last year. (Guessing you have a Vette?)
    Last edited by Cobra617; 06-21-2014 at 07:53 PM.

Sand Dollars
    When I was 20, I had a 74 Pinto....

Sand Dollars
    I went out last night and surprisingly it was much better. The police were out in force. There weren't that many misbehaving drivers as it seemed like every 2 blocks there was a cop with someone pulled over.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra617 View Post
    Come to think of it, Corvette weekend was completely tame last year. I don't recall a single issue with a Corvette last year. (Guessing you have a Vette?)
    LOL! Yes I do. Had a Z06, but we traded it in for a 427 C6. We'll be there this year for Vettes..............so maybe we'll shake things up a bit.

I just feel so bad for a friend of mine who has gone to the Outer Banks forever and decided to give OC a try this week. Between the ricers, senior week, and the Dew Tour later this week, I'm afraid she's not going to have the best experience. I'll be interested to hear what she has to say when she comes home.
    Last edited by Z06RL; 06-22-2014 at 08:16 AM.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Z06RL View Post
    LOL! Yes I do. Had a Z06, but we traded it in for a 427 C6. We'll be there this year for Vettes..............so maybe we'll shake things up a bit.

I just feel so bad for a friend of mine who has gone to the Outer Banks forever and decided to give OC a try this week. Between the ricers, senior week, and the Dew Tour later this week, I'm afraid she's not going to have the best experience. I'll be interested to hear what she has to say when she comes home.
    I went to the "dark side". I used to have a Cobra Mustang with a Kenne Bell supercharger. I ended up selling it because I never drove it after a while. I had also bought a Subaru. After some "minor" modifications, that car puts out incredible amounts of power (340hp and 360ft-lbs of torque at the wheels, which translates to over 400hp and 420ft-lbs at the crank). I love having a sleeper as when I had the supercharged Cobra, it seemed like everyone would try to race me.

So, my car better relates to the tuner crowd, but I am old enough to be a father to many of them.

I hope your friend had a good experience. Like I was mentioning Saturday was a whole different ball game. Much more tame. Friday was like Fast and the Furious driving up and down Coastal and since then it has been calm.
    Last edited by Cobra617; 10-02-2014 at 01:40 PM.